Why I Binge When I Know Better - BED Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Why I Binge When I Know Better

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 VaporwaveGirl

VaporwaveGirl

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4877 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 08:17 AM

I binge when I know better because when those binge thoughts come, I convince myself to eat something healthy instead. EVERY time, I eat whatever item and them a bunch trying to make up for my lost craving, and my binge ends with me eating the thing I sought to avoid the whole time.

This is because when I have binge thoughts, the worst thing I can do is justify why I should eat to begin with? If I know I'm having addict thoughts to sugar, why open the door in the first place? I need to wait out this feeling until it goes away before I allow myself to eat.
  • autumnblueskies, Maria Sophia, __.angel____._ and 1 other like this

O N L Y P R O G R E S S M A T T E R S ◆

giphy.gif

I obsess over food, not eating

Spoiler

Spoiler
<p>

#2 Shug

Shug

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 January 2022 - 08:36 AM

This is because when I have binge thoughts, the worst thing I can do is justify why I should eat to begin with? If I know I'm having addict thoughts to sugar, why open the door in the first place? I need to wait out this feeling until it goes away before I allow myself to eat.

Waiting is uncomfortable.  But The URGE does go away, like every other thought does.  Always!  The brain's job is to churn out thoughts, some true, some not.

I'm learning to say, yup, I'm having a thought.  Not useful.  Not helpful.  Not interested.  MOVING RIGHT ALONG.

Then I step.away. and do something useful, helpful, interesting and FUN!

Thinking of adopting a couple cats.  Every time I say "I don't have time or $ for 2 cats" I think of all the useless things, including overeating, that I've blown plenty of time and $ on.

Good on you for moving beyond your comfort zone and considering new ways of thinking, acting and being.  Peace.

• mashunya, autumnblueskies, Maria Sophia and 2 others like this

#3 growth

growth

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:56 AM

it also doesn't work for me to eat something healthy when i have binge urges. for me, the urges rise when i need comfort/ pleasure, like when i am sick, stressed, ashamed, bored, etc. healthy food doesn't give me comfort/pleasure, so after eating those things, it even further proves that i NEED to binge to solve my problems. yeah, so your plan to wait until after the urges pass to eat something is better. 

• Detective L, Maria Sophia and Shug like this

#4 Shr1nkm3

Shr1nkm3

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 03:31 PM

Waiting is uncomfortable. But The URGE does go away, like every other thought does. Always! The brain's job is to churn out thoughts, some true, some not.

I'm learning to say, yup, I'm having a thought. Not useful. Not helpful. Not interested. MOVING RIGHT ALONG.

Thinking of adopting a couple cats. Every time I say "I don't have time or $ for 2 cats" I think of all the useless things, including overeating, that I've blown plenty of time and $ on.

Good on you for moving beyond your comfort zone and considering new ways of thinking, acting and being. Peace.

How long has this worked for you? I will try this, thanks

#5 Shr1nkm3

Shr1nkm3

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 03:31 PM

Waiting is uncomfortable. But The URGE does go away, like every other thought does. Always! The brain's job is to churn out thoughts, some true, some not.

I'm learning to say, yup, I'm having a thought. Not useful. Not helpful. Not interested. MOVING RIGHT ALONG.

Thinking of adopting a couple cats. Every time I say "I don't have time or $ for 2 cats" I think of all the useless things, including overeating, that I've blown plenty of time and $ on.

Good on you for moving beyond your comfort zone and considering new ways of thinking, acting and being. Peace.

• Shug likes this

#6 Shug

Shug

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 January 2022 - 09:47 PM

I've been at this going on 3 months.  It works every time I work it.  The kicker is being willing to work it... which I'm not every time, tbh.

The urge to binge is lower brain reflexive automatic thoughts, not rational thought.  So is all-or-nothing thinking ("I blew it so screw it").

Instead, I look out for the urge but don't engage with it or act on it.

Each time I get that feeling, I observe and think:  there it is again.  

I breathe deeply and slowly til I feel comfort and calm. 

I pray to God, please help me. 

I focus on how I feel in the moment, now, not the future:  I don't judge. 

Every nanosecond I don't binge I'm one step closer to freedom.  Many folks get this; so can I.  I've said no to binging many times so far.  I'll just keep saying no when it yanks my chain again... and I expect it to.  I am rewiring my brain, and that takes time.

. . .

I'm more likely to say no to the urge when

. I eat enough high quality nutrition daily

. I eat 2 good meals a day

. I don't require myself to change shape, weigh a certain number on the scale or achieve a certain BMI.

. I don't require myself to stop eating binge food forever. 

The urge to binge will return occasionally, but I'm ready for it when it does.

Edited by Shug, 15 January 2022 - 10:34 AM.

• leebee, Shr1nkm3, mashunya and 1 other like this

#7 VaporwaveGirl

VaporwaveGirl

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4877 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 02:50 AM

Waiting is uncomfortable.  But The URGE does go away, like every other thought does.  Always!  The brain's job is to churn out thoughts, some true, some not.

I'm learning to say, yup, I'm having a thought.  Not useful.  Not helpful.  Not interested.  MOVING RIGHT ALONG.

Thinking of adopting a couple cats.  Every time I say "I don't have time or $ for 2 cats" I think of all the useless things, including overeating, that I've blown plenty of time and $ on.

Good on you for moving beyond your comfort zone and considering new ways of thinking, acting and being.  Peace.

Definitely a new way of thinking for me. I was getting a strong urge at work and definitely went through sugar withdrawal but I'm doing much better now! Cravings are a lot less I just gotta keep fighting
  • Shug likes this

O N L Y P R O G R E S S M A T T E R S ◆

giphy.gif

I obsess over food, not eating

Spoiler

Spoiler
<p>

#8 Shug

Shug

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 January 2022 - 08:26 AM

Definitely a new way of thinking for me. I was getting a strong urge at work and definitely went through sugar withdrawal but I'm doing much better now! Cravings are a lot less I just gotta keep fighting

About fighting with your mind:

https://brainoverbin...dr-amy-johnson/

Our brain's job is like autocorrect, trying to be super-efficient and keep us safe.  We don't have to take our thoughts so seriously

Minds naturally

. worry

. compare us to others or to how we think we should be

. predict the future; make promises that we can never make good on

. judge; say we're not good enough

. problem solve

. make up stories

WE know better!

#9 Shr1nkm3

Shr1nkm3

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 09:36 AM

I've been at this going on 3 months. It works every time I work it. The kicker is being willing to work it... which I'm not every time, tbh.

The urge to binge is lower brain reflexive automatic thoughts, not rational thought. So is all-or-nothing thinking ("I blew it so screw it").

Instead, I look out for the urge but don't engage with it or act on it.

Each time I get that feeling, I observe and think: there it is again.
I breathe deeply and slowly til I feel comfort and calm.

I pray to God, please help me.

I focus on how I feel in the moment, now, not the future: I don't judge.

Every nanosecond I don't binge I'm one step closer to freedom. Many folks get this; so can I. I've said no to binging many times so far. I'll just keep saying no when it yanks my chain again... and I expect it to. I am rewiring my brain, and that takes time.
. . .

I'm more likely to say no to the urge when
. I eat enough high quality nutrition daily
. I eat 2 good meals a day
. I don't require myself to change shape, weigh a certain number on the scale or achieve a certain BMI.
. I don't require myself to stop eating binge food forever.

The urge to binge will return occasionally, but I'm ready for it when it does.

Thank you so much for this. I consider myself to have pretty severe BED so this is helpful and hopeful

I’m very familiar with Brain over binge, read it more then 9 times, listened to all the podcasts, got the recovery course, even joined the online course back when she had it

I’m a firm believer in the concept of BOB but having trouble perfecting it
  • Shug likes this

#10 Shug

Shug

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 January 2022 - 09:31 PM

Thank you so much for this. I consider myself to have pretty severe BED so this is helpful and hopeful

I’m very familiar with Brain over binge, read it more then 9 times, listened to all the podcasts, got the recovery course, even joined the online course back when she had it

I’m a firm believer in the concept of BOB but having trouble perfecting it

I totally get what you're saying.  Knowledge and the application of knowledge (wisdom) are two different skill sets. 

I can read stuff that makes perfect sense.  Then The URGE hits, and I have to actually follow through with my plan to do the opposite of what my guts are telling me to do. 

It takes practice and humility to obey the deeper desire to act healthfully -- in my case, in obedience to God.

As I breathe and pray through it, The URGE becomes just an urge; and the guts I act on are my heart of hearts:  The Real me *wants* peace and a healthy mind in a healthy body, not the binge I'm on the verge of starting in motion.  The urge passes and I go on with my life. 

I've done it enough times that I'm getting used to what it feels like to send the urge away.  The first 21 times or so feel a little awkward.  I'm getting quicker, stronger and more automatic in dismissing it.  Kind of like practicing the piano!

I thank God for winning each battle for me.  It's comforting to know that I lean on the power of the Creator of the Universe.  No temporary urge is greater than He is!  His everlasting arms aren't too short to reach down and help whenever I ask.

#11 calliopescalories

calliopescalories

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:25 PM

Sometimes, I don't stop and think I've been trying todo that more. I've been asking myself, "how will I feel after I eat this?" and usally I don't feel good. I feel very bad.

#12 lemonduck

lemonduck

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:45 PM

For me, a lot of the times it's to punish myself. I really don't care and I'll hurt myself by binging because that hurts me mentally, then I also feel painful from the physical damage from the binging itself. But I'm also a purger, so it's like triple harm from me to me. 

cw: 48.5/107

gw: 44/97

ugw: 39/86

back from recovery. starting this bs again

qNJhWhy.gif

#13 ANAtomist

ANAtomist

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5352 posts
  • Location.__.

Posted Yesterday, 03:40 PM

Took me a few weeks of mind training to re-learn portion control - I think the more long term solution for this is try learning how to portion control and not depriving yourself from certain foods so next time when you are craving it you won’t binge but can take a bite and be satisfy

[Updated: Dec, 2021] CBMI = fluctuating between 12.8 - 13.3

Fasting | AA | Randoms | <3 | Recipes | Story-time | No Sugar Challenge | Thinspo

AN - r

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users