Wasting food - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Wasting food

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cay123

Cay123

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 10:04 AM

Does anyone else suffer with having a hard time accepting when food is wasted.
Like if my boyfriend eats and he doesn't finish i get so offended like im here starving pls finish ur food :(
Ovs ed related i was never this way before
  • โ˜†PaisleySkyโ˜†, Hanna94, may_jailer and 3 others like this

#2 Rose_Thorns

Rose_Thorns

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Location'Murica ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Posted 14 January 2022 - 10:10 AM

Yep! I cook for my friends /roommates sometimes and I can't stand when they don't finish their food because I'm starving and my ana brain doesn't let me eat most foods.

gallery_1475131_71947_269143.gif

โœฉ๏ฝก:*โ€ข.โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ โ โ โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€.โ€ข*:๏ฝกโœฉโœผ

Spoiler: some stuff about me

Spoiler

<p>

#3 v!wvuv

v!wvuv

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1451 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 10:19 AM

I've never liked wasting food, and I hate the fact that my ED makes me throw away food if I see no other way of getting out of eating it. But if others don't finish their food it doesn't offend me because they're wasting food, it offends me because then I feel like a fatass if I've finished mine.

• deduzione likes this

#4 mercuryRX

mercuryRX

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Locationin your extended network

Posted 14 January 2022 - 10:19 AM

yeah but I grew up like that, my earliest food memory was my parents not letting me leave the table until I ate my boiled egg bc "there was nothing else; if you don't, you'll get it for breakfast tomorrow". this is now like 90% of why I'm not skinny bc I literally can't bring myself to throw food.

and it also really pisses me off when my bf doesn't finish food, or buys bread/wraps and lets half the pack go stale/mouldy.

if I said I was here would you let me go?

if I said I was

safe

would you let me...?

OG sadgirl

UGW 45KG

Say goodbye not goodnight

#5 Soiree

Soiree

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationMidwest United States

Posted 14 January 2022 - 10:29 AM

This has just started happening to me and I find it strange. I live alone and buy only food for myself, but my appetite has gone way down, but I still buy the same amount of food I used to eat. Kind of like when you get your hair cut but the first few times you wash it you use too much shampoo for your new shorter hair. I recently went shopping and spent like $100 on food and got it all home and realized there was no way I was going to eat it all before it went bad. Now I'm arguing with myself at every meal if I should just eat after I feel full so I don't waste so much.

#6 โ˜†PaisleySkyโ˜†

โ˜†PaisleySkyโ˜†

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2773 posts
  • LocationPNW๐ŸŒฒ

Posted 14 January 2022 - 10:37 AM

My husband recently tried to throw out a random box of Nerds candy that his coworker gave him like months ago and I freaked out, even though realistically neither of us were ever going to eat them. I just hate seeing things wasted - especially if we spent money on it.

5'2"

CW 92 lbs ๐Ÿณ

LW 76 lbs

Recovery failure.

โœจWatch my relapse hereโœจ

#7 bella bambi

bella bambi

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 10:49 AM

i feel really bad sometimes because i tend to waste food a lot, usually by throwing or pouring it out. 

โ€” ห—ห‹ เญจเญง หŠห— โ€”

hi! i'm bella <3

15 years old

diagnosed with restrictive anorexia nervosa

h 168 cm

hw 56 kg, bmi 19.8

lw 43,3 kg, bmi 15.3

cw 44,1 kg, bmi 15.6

gw 38 kg, bmi 13.5

#8 itโ€™s fine

itโ€™s fine

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 January 2022 - 06:14 PM

i grew up poor and was raised by parents who grew up poor, and my grandparents also grew up poor AND lived during the great depression soโ€ฆfood waste has always been a A Thing in my family. it has always been an issue for me. i already have bad interoception issues and so cannot sense reliably when iโ€™m hungry or full, but i also was raised to always finish whatโ€™s on your plate, and to not throw food away.

working in food service was awful for that reason; i felt obligated to pack food up and take it home instead of toss it at the end of shifts

it doesnโ€™t bother me when others donโ€™t finish their food because iโ€™m disordered; if anything, iโ€™m disordered in part because of my horrible relationship with food waste that scarcity caused
  • aspartamefiend likes this
๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒธ

#9 aspartamefiend

aspartamefiend

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 January 2022 - 02:20 AM

I was homeless at 18 and food insecure until 20yrs old, then again from 21-22. I hate food waste so much and it is my #1 binge trigger. I'm 24 now and I've eaten food that's out of date, stale, etc more times than I can count even though I'm very good secure now bc I'm stuck in the scarcity mindset. I'm just starting to learn to throw away food bc it's such a binge trigger and I'm also moving cross country in two weeks and can't bring perishables ofc...it's been a few things, one day at a time...

It kinda irks me when I see ppl at restaurants not take home their leftovers or family members not take leftovers home from holiday meals, but not too much. But if the leftovers are like trays of food...I either get really sad or angry. Not outwardly, but it's been a day-ruiner before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • itโ€™s fine likes this
5'10/178cm // CW: 108.6lbs/49.3kg/BMI 15.5 // HW: ~200lbs/90.7kg/BMI 28.6 // LW: 106.5lbs/48.3kg/BMI 15.2 // UGW: 95lbs/43.1kg/BMI 13.6

#10 beAbody

beAbody

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1502 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 02:41 AM

I feel bad for wasting food when others pay for me, either bc if I throw it up I will usually be hungry within an hour or two or I will feed it to my dog under the table or if I can eat in my room bc of "homework" I will spray it with hairspray and throw it away 

#11 Ama-chawn

Ama-chawn

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts
  • Locationthe abyss

Posted 15 January 2022 - 04:19 AM

I feel so guilty for wasting food. If I feel like I'm not going to eat everything in the fridge before it goes bad, I'll just hold off on buying new groceries so I'll be forced to finish those. One of the reasons I stopped purging was how guilty I felt over wasting food.

My country is going through a bad economic time, and more than half the population is in poverty. I have family members who can't afford to buy milk. I had a friend who had an abusive dad who literally didn't pay for her food and was losing too much weight over it. I keep on thinking of those people who literally can't eat the food they need and then here I am, wasting food bc of my stupid ED.
  • trajska likes this

Ah, Love! could thou and I with Fate conspire

To grasp this sorry Scheme of Things entire

Would not we shatter it to bits

and then Re-mould it nearer to the Heart's Desire!

โ€‹-Omar Khayyam

20210926-104916.jpg

[she/they]

167 โ† 5'6

cw:97 โ† gw:88 โ† ugw:77 โ† bmi:15.7

#12 aloof!

aloof!

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1771 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 01:44 AM

i HATE wasting food, and also seeing other people waste food. such a pet peeve.

170 / 5'7" | hw 65+ / 145+ | lw 45 / 100 | cw 111.4 | ugw 45 / 100 | bmi 17.5

tumblr_nxyfqzOVbK1ul5mg5o1_500.png

"just because you know you're colourblind doesn't mean you can see the colours"
accountability
-
you need the power of the prunes babby

#13 stonescold

stonescold

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4395 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 16 January 2022 - 01:52 AM

Yes, I hate wasting food and I feel really guilty when I do so I try my hardest not to

#14 may_jailer

may_jailer

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2067 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 01:56 AM

i've always hated seeing ppl waste food. even pre-ed. idk why?

like my siblings will request that we buy X food at the grocery store and then not eat it and it'll expire. or they'll get takeout multiple times a week  and never finish it so it just sits in the fridge, goes bad, then gets thrown out. idk it really irks me for some reason even though i know i shouldn't care lol. i think for me it's more of a money thing than a food thing. i don't like wasting money at all. so when i see them buy $30+ takeout more than once a week and then not even finish it it baffles me.

#15 taliaaaa

taliaaaa

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1439 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 January 2022 - 02:00 AM

I used to really have trouble throwing things out but I knew that it would make me feel worse if I ate it, and no one would know except me, and it would either go in the bin or in my stomach which I didnt want to feel like a rubbish pile, so yeah

โ€งอ™โบหš*๏ฝฅเผ“โ˜พ talia โ˜ฝเผ“๏ฝฅ*หšโบโ€งอ™

162cm // 5'3

sw: 63kg 24.0 bmi (july 16, 2020)

cw: 62.8 kg 23.93 bmi

gw 1: 58 kg 22.10 bmi

gw 2: 55 kg 20.95 bmi

gw 3: 53 kg 20.19 bmi

gw 4: 50 kg 19.05 bmi

gw 4: 48 kg 18.28 bmi

gw 5: 46 kg 17.52 bmi

gw 6: 44 kg 16.76 bmi

ugw: 42 kg 16.00 bmi