Is it completely IMPOSSIBLE to build muscle in a deficit? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Is it completely IMPOSSIBLE to build muscle in a deficit?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rice_cake_queen

rice_cake_queen

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:25 PM

If so I'm screwed. Like, I'm technically underweight but I look SUPER flabby. But is it possible that I only look flabby due to lack of muscle and therefore I should focus more on muscle building than fat loss? Pics for reference

image0 (2)
image1 (1)

5'4

HW:115

CW: 101

LW: 82 :,(

GW:70 (or 80)

#2 Yogiangel

Yogiangel

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:46 PM

No, it’s not at all impossible to build muscle, but it does depend on the deficit. I’m a fitness/yoga instructor and I do a lot of physical exercise because I teach full time. I can’t low restrict because of how much I move, so on the days I am most active, I do 800-1000 calories. I’m also very short, 5 feet…
Days I’m less active, less calories. Light weights can help you build muscle without too much effort.

#3 Yogiangel

Yogiangel

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:47 PM

P.S. You don’t look super flabby at all!!!

#4 BichImmaCow

BichImmaCow

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • LocationThe fridge

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:49 PM

Well, I’m not qualified to back any of this up, so I’d take my words with a heap of salt.

But I’ve seen so many people here claim this, that you can’t build muscle on a deficit but it doesn’t make sense to me??

From my knowledge, muscle is built when we exert it. It is damaged ever so slightly every time we use them, and so the body uses protein to rebuild the tiny lil micro tears, which also builds the muscle up more than it was before if we have the excess protein.

So..wouldn’t the muscles grow regardless of how much we were eating as long as we got enough protein? I’m not really referring to long term low calorie restriction, because I believe the body will begin to burn muscles eventually, if it’s deprived enough.

But like I said, I’m not an expert on the body. So if someone is, and I’m wrong, please correct me cause I wanna know too lol.
  • beAbody likes this

~StAy SaFe LoVeLiEs~

iTVhm5.png

#5 Secretary

Secretary

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:18 AM

It's possible if you're going from being sedentary to working out regularly. Beyond that, yeah, it's impossible. You'll just cause muscle wastage if anything.
  • θαυματοποιός likes this

lzgjzk.png
Happy Lunar New Year!

#6 Yogiangel

Yogiangel

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:36 AM

https://www.livestro...alorie-deficit/

#7 SkinnyOakTree

SkinnyOakTree

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 01:53 AM

I am able to build and am more muscular while in a dificit. Muscles are difficult to build unlike adding fat. I am pretty sure if you consistently workout and add some rest days, you could have results, sorry im not an expect at this. Just personal experiance

#8 EDgirl

EDgirl

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1003 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 02:05 AM

Ofc it's possible!

As long as you have enough fat to make the muscle (muscle needs energy from somewhere to grow-either it's from food or fat mass on your body).

#9 Cripple Crow

Cripple Crow

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4042 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 02:51 AM

I’ve heard it can help to prevent you from losing muscle you already have but it’s hard to gain. But tbh I wouldn’t really listen to me as I’m getting this info from hardcore gym junkies who probably bang on about what’s needed for significant growth .

#10 49kg_goal

49kg_goal

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 06:42 AM

Well there are basically different phases of this. As a complete beginner you will most likely gain some muscle even if you are in a deficit, as long as you consume about 1g of protein per lb body weight and if you apply progressive overload in your workouts.
At a certain point (depending on how “hard” you train) about 6 months in you will not be able to gain any more muscle in a deficit but you won’t lose a lot of your muscle either if you continue to consume enough protein and keep working out (talking about weight lifting here)
This is why professional athletes go through bulking and cutting phases because you need a lot of food to be able to really put on muscle mass long term (unfortunately for all of us) and they accept that they have to also gain a little bit of body fat which they will lose again in a diet phase (but keeping the muscle mass)

#11 49kg_goal

49kg_goal

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 06:42 AM

Well there are basically different phases of this. As a complete beginner you will most likely gain some muscle even if you are in a deficit, as long as you consume about 1g of protein per lb body weight and if you apply progressive overload in your workouts.
At a certain point (depending on how “hard” you train) about 6 months in you will not be able to gain any more muscle in a deficit but you won’t lose a lot of your muscle either if you continue to consume enough protein and keep working out (talking about weight lifting here)
This is why professional athletes go through bulking and cutting phases because you need a lot of food to be able to really put on muscle mass long term (unfortunately for all of us) and they accept that they have to also gain a little bit of body fat which they will lose again in a diet phase (but keeping the muscle mass)

#12 49kg_goal

49kg_goal

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 06:43 AM

#13 Muted-Whisper

Muted-Whisper

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1100 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 15 January 2022 - 06:44 AM

It is possible, and if you want information on doing it with weights you want to research lean bulking. I know calling it bulking sounds awful but it's just how weight lifters differentiate periods of focus on gaining muscle and periods of focus on losing fat (bulking and cutting). I'd say core is the hardest to see improvement in, but if you think you don't have a lot of core muscle then any increased muscle there should help and help your posture, which increases the effect.

If you don't want to hit a weights room, pilates is your friend. It's a lot more difficult than it looks and builds lean muscle that's primarily for dexterity and flexibility. There's also a good subreddit for body weight exercises, and most strength based gym routines can be mimicked with nothing more than a towel and two chairs.

It's hard in an extreme deficit (by regular people standards) and you'll need to make sure you're eating enough protein and getting enough rest to sustain it. If you're going from no strength training at all to doing it regularly you'll benefit from the period at the start where progress is very quick, that's how everyone gets hooked. If you need any help building a routine, finding resources, or figuring out what all the stupid gym bro terminology means I can do my best to help.

Source: I am a stupid gym bro who lifts heavy things for fun and loses weight while doing it

Never said it was good, never said it was new.

#14 Thinchance

Thinchance

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 08:12 AM

That’s funny you ask I was just studding up on this myself because im trying to cut/ get leaner and more muscular because I’m looking a little saggy at my lowest weight

#15 hunthebun

hunthebun

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2495 posts
  • Locationhospital. still :(

Posted 15 January 2022 - 09:00 AM

Ofc it's possible!

As long as you have enough fat to make the muscle (muscle needs energy from somewhere to grow-either it's from food or fat mass on your body).

for a minute I thought you were trying to say you could turn fat into muscle and I was about to slam my head into my laptop, lol. 

(turning fat into muscle is physiologically impossible, as muscle and fat are made up of different cells)

• EDgirl likes this

SEED, beginning palliative care.

current BMI 10.7 [Jan 2021]

https://www.myproana.com/index.php/topic/4285135-huns-palliative-care-anorexia-diary/

#16 EDgirl

EDgirl

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1003 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 09:48 AM

for a minute I thought you were trying to say you could turn fat into muscle and I was about to slam my head into my laptop, lol.

(turning fat into muscle is physiologically impossible, as muscle and fat are made up of different cells)

Hahahah no, I didn't mean that (I hope nobody thinks you can LITERALLY turn fat into muscle)
  • Choco_Bitch_612 and MinusOne like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users