Switching from low restriction to high restriction - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Switching from low restriction to high restriction

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 katherinexx

katherinexx

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:33 AM

hey!

I’ve reached my goal bmi this morning () which means my bmi is now 14.9.
I’ve been low restricting for a while now (400 kcal a day) and it really freaks me out when I’m thinking about eating more……..

I’m just so so so scared of weight gain I don’t even eat veggies now because I’m scared the volume of the food will make me gain weight.

However, I also know it’s for the best if I try to maintain my weight from now on…. Or just soon. I can’t continue doing this forever and I have to start thinking about ways to increase my intake.

How do I start high restriction w/o gaining weight???
Should I just add 100 kcal a week or something???
Is it best to avoid the scale for a while?
And do I have to keep upping it till I’ve reached my TDEE??

And, most importantly, is it really impossible to gain weight from high restriction????? (I feel really stupid even asking this, but I also need to be certain)

#2 it’s fine

it’s fine

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1328 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 15 January 2022 - 04:38 AM

if you’ve been low restricting for a while then definitely do slow increases so that you don’t shock your body

staying off the scale is always a good idea. if you MUST, weigh at the same time of day once a week

you can’t gain real weight as long as you’re under your TDEE. it isn’t possible. if you see an increase on the scale when increasing your intake, it’ll be food/poop and water weight.

congrats on hitting your goal. i hope you’re able to maintain and stay as safe as possible!
  • hentai, gothposer, katherinexx and 3 others like this
🌱🌸

#3 skin-of-me

skin-of-me

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 15 January 2022 - 05:21 AM

I'm following your accountability and I'm really glad you've decided to high restrict!

Like it's fine says, you really need to increase slowly ('reverse dieting'). Your digestive system needs to slowly get used to more volume too, and mentally it will probably also be a challenge.

Not gonna lie. You WILL gain water weight for sure, because you were low restricting for a while. But this is NOT real weight gain. So, stay off the scales, maybe weigh once a week if you must.

If you want to maintain your weight, you will need to increase to your TDEE, by definition. 

So remember, if you see weight gain over the next few weeks and you're eating under TDEE, it will always be water weight, not real weight gain.

Be careful and stay safe, I'm a little worried about your low weight but really happy you've decided to up your intake a bit to maintain. You've got this!!!

• it’s fine, katherinexx, StarvingLlama*-* and 1 other like this

be+better.gif

171cm

HW: 63 kgs

LW: 46 kgs

SW: 60 kgs (01/11)

CW: 53.3 kgs (21/01, BMI 18.2)

58  56  54  52  50

New accountability thread!

#4 katherinexx

katherinexx

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 08:39 AM

if you’ve been low restricting for a while then definitely do slow increases so that you don’t shock your body

staying off the scale is always a good idea. if you MUST, weigh at the same time of day once a week

you can’t gain real weight as long as you’re under your TDEE. it isn’t possible. if you see an increase on the scale when increasing your intake, it’ll be food/poop and water weight.

congrats on hitting your goal. i hope you’re able to maintain and stay as safe as possible!

I'm following your accountability and I'm really glad you've decided to high restrict!

Like it's fine says, you really need to increase slowly ('reverse dieting'). Your digestive system needs to slowly get used to more volume too, and mentally it will probably also be a challenge.
Not gonna lie. You WILL gain water weight for sure, because you were low restricting for a while. But this is NOT real weight gain. So, stay off the scales, maybe weigh once a week if you must.

If you want to maintain your weight, you will need to increase to your TDEE, by definition.

So remember, if you see weight gain over the next few weeks and you're eating under TDEE, it will always be water weight, not real weight gain.

Be careful and stay safe, I'm a little worried about your low weight but really happy you've decided to up your intake a bit to maintain. You've got this!!!

thank you both so much!!!!! this is really helpful and reassuring I’m definitely gonna look into how I can do this the right way. X
  • skin-of-me and it’s fine like this

#5 iwasneverhere01

iwasneverhere01

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 10:41 AM

its my dream to reach a bmi that low so i can start worrying about maintaining and eating again rather than restricting!!T_T no matter what you do, with that mindset and that low of a bmi, youre gonna be skinny still and have a lot of room to bounce back, honestly im jealous. im rooting for you !

• gothposer, katherinexx and nanallia like this

"i don't have to eat this right now, i can eat it later"

height: 5'1 (155), age:18                               

hw: 130 (59)         bmi   24.6

lw: 102.6 (46.5)    bmi   19.2

cw: 105               bmi    19.8 

gw: 103 (46.7)     bmi    19.5

ugw: 90 (40.8)      bmi    17

live in usa  (EST)

#6 katherinexx

katherinexx

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 03:57 AM

its my dream to reach a bmi that low so i can start worrying about maintaining and eating again rather than restricting!!T_T no matter what you do, with that mindset and that low of a bmi, youre gonna be skinny still and have a lot of room to bounce back, honestly im jealous. im rooting for you !

Ah thnx! I do want you to know I’m still stressed out though. I believe I want to maintain but my ED is also very strong and I feel miserable 24/7. I’m happy with my weight but overall I feel like shit.
  • iwasneverhere01 likes this

#7 iwasneverhere01

iwasneverhere01

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 02:24 PM

Ah thnx! I do want you to know I’m still stressed out though. I believe I want to maintain but my ED is also very strong and I feel miserable 24/7. I’m happy with my weight but overall I feel like shit.

yeah i get it... its anxiety about gaining, or giving up the comforting habits that got you here. eating normally seems like such a foreign concept TT_TT

but just know that a lot of pain and hard work got you to where you are. you can still keep restricting AND eat more to live functionally, by increasing your TDEE like you said. bringing up your metabolism, it can make a 1000cal restriction the same as a 400cal basically. 

its difficult to start, but being discreet is the goal at this point, to make sure you dont get hospitalized  :( which can throw you off track and make you feel like even more shit

• katherinexx likes this

"i don't have to eat this right now, i can eat it later"

height: 5'1 (155), age:18                               

hw: 130 (59)         bmi   24.6

lw: 102.6 (46.5)    bmi   19.2

cw: 105               bmi    19.8 

gw: 103 (46.7)     bmi    19.5

ugw: 90 (40.8)      bmi    17

live in usa  (EST)

#8 Holiday

Holiday

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts
  • Locationin bed

Posted 16 January 2022 - 02:35 PM

hey!

I’ve reached my goal bmi this morning () which means my bmi is now 14.9.
I’ve been low restricting for a while now (400 kcal a day) and it really freaks me out when I’m thinking about eating more……..

I’m just so so so scared of weight gain I don’t even eat veggies now because I’m scared the volume of the food will make me gain weight.

However, I also know it’s for the best if I try to maintain my weight from now on…. Or just soon. I can’t continue doing this forever and I have to start thinking about ways to increase my intake.

How do I start high restriction w/o gaining weight???
Should I just add 100 kcal a week or something???
Is it best to avoid the scale for a while?
And do I have to keep upping it till I’ve reached my TDEE??

And, most importantly, is it really impossible to gain weight from high restriction????? (I feel really stupid even asking this, but I also need to be certain)

At that BMI plus low restricting for a while, definitely the slow and steady approach cuz not to scare u but u could get refeeding syndrome if u increase ur intake too fast which in addition to being super dangerous is also hella uncomfortable and just sucks all around. Probably unlikely if ur only going up to maintenance but better safe than sorry

Definitely don't weigh urself cuz at first ur gonna hold onto a lot of food and water weight but that will eventually sort itself out

For sure recommend getting up to ur TDEE cuz hypocrite for saying this but u rlly shouldn't try n lose anymore cuz in all reality 14.9 is a pretty low BMI already

Try n get all ur nutrients vitamins etc in, (carbs, fats, proteins all that jazz) maybe work on reintroducing veggies and stuff and tmi but they have good fiber which will help u poop lol

Most ppl find it easier too doing smaller meals every couple hours rather than 3 bigger ones especially when coming from that low of a restriction cuz I'm sure ur not used to being very full rn so it could be pretty uncomfortable. Over time tho u could probably start to have bigger meals less often as u get used to eating more and being full

Tbh I might be talking out my ass since I've actually never successfully high restricted cuz I'm an all or nothing gal lmao but this is what I've heard has worked for others so best of luck to ya!
  • leebee, katherinexx and StarvingLlama*-* like this

Height: 5'6

Weight: 81.6lbslbs (12-28-21)

BMI: 13.2

AN b/p

Spoiler

dc1b0b6926bce8d027dae9d28dcbbd9d.jpg

#9 katherinexx

katherinexx

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 11:40 PM

At that BMI plus low restricting for a while, definitely the slow and steady approach cuz not to scare u but u could get refeeding syndrome if u increase ur intake too fast which in addition to being super dangerous is also hella uncomfortable and just sucks all around. Probably unlikely if ur only going up to maintenance but better safe than sorry

Definitely don't weigh urself cuz at first ur gonna hold onto a lot of food and water weight but that will eventually sort itself out

For sure recommend getting up to ur TDEE cuz hypocrite for saying this but u rlly shouldn't try n lose anymore cuz in all reality 14.9 is a pretty low BMI already

Try n get all ur nutrients vitamins etc in, (carbs, fats, proteins all that jazz) maybe work on reintroducing veggies and stuff and tmi but they have good fiber which will help u poop lol

Most ppl find it easier too doing smaller meals every couple hours rather than 3 bigger ones especially when coming from that low of a restriction cuz I'm sure ur not used to being very full rn so it could be pretty uncomfortable. Over time tho u could probably start to have bigger meals less often as u get used to eating more and being full

Tbh I might be talking out my ass since I've actually never successfully high restricted cuz I'm an all or nothing gal lmao but this is what I've heard has worked for others so best of luck to ya!

Thank you this is really helpful! I think I’m going to start with eating a bit more of the foods I’m currently eating ( I’m feeling really anxious about eating different foods), but I’m definitely planning on eating other foods when I’m feeling more comfortable eating a higher intake.
I really appreciate your advice! And I’m definitely going to be careful!! X
  • poutpoutfish likes this

#10 gothposer

gothposer

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Locationhell

Posted Today, 01:29 AM

It is my dream too T.T
  • iwasneverhere01 likes this

Accountability: link

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users