Dealing with side effects - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Dealing with side effects

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 idanceskinny

idanceskinny

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 04:56 AM

Hi!  My biggest thing about restricting is trouble sleeping and being so freaking cold!  What do you guys do to help cope with these issue?  Feel free to add any other side effects

#2 DirtyGoat

DirtyGoat

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 04:59 AM

I sleep with a big hoodie, a literall sheepskin draped over me, then my thick blanket, then 2 regular blankets, all pulled together very tightly.

• idanceskinny likes this

I have nobody besides myself

Spoiler

#3 skin-of-me

skin-of-me

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 15 January 2022 - 05:16 AM

I also have trouble sleeping, so I try to have the bulk of my calories for dinner. I high restrict, which also helps me to sleep. Yesterday I had over 1400kcal instead of 1200 and already slept better, for example. And I'm still slowly losing weight.

Other side effects? My joints hurt and my chairs are all starting to be uncomfortable, my shoulder blades etc are jutting out and everything just hurts now.

• v!wvuv and idanceskinny like this

be+better.gif

171cm

HW: 63 kgs

LW: 46 kgs

SW: 60 kgs (01/11)

CW: 53.3 kgs (21/01, BMI 18.2)

58  56  54  52  50

New accountability thread!

#4 tiredandempty

tiredandempty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 06:03 AM

I always wear at least three layers against being cold and at home I use heating pads :)) to sleep better I use medication anddd very cliche: breathing exercises, they really seem to work for me.

Other side effects: trouble focusing :((( can't do any schoolwork at the moment. 

#5 hunthebun

hunthebun

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2495 posts
  • Locationhospital. still :(

Posted 15 January 2022 - 09:13 AM

double duvets at home

SEED, beginning palliative care.

current BMI 10.7 [Jan 2021]

https://www.myproana.com/index.php/topic/4285135-huns-palliative-care-anorexia-diary/

#6 idanceskinny

idanceskinny

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 09:33 AM

Thanks guys!  Yea, totally.  For me, the biggest reason now that I eat more than I want to is to fix side effects.  I've been gaining and binging for over a year after my lowest weight.  I'm sick and tired of food and how fat it has made me and just how I feel.  I'm totally fine and don't feel like I need much (especially since I'm trying to drop weight fast) but the side effects seriously get to me!!!  Thanks again!

#7 v!wvuv

v!wvuv

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1451 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 10:53 AM

My bed is one of the only places where I don't feel cold lol. But I get sleep problems too when I low restrict, so I try to save my calories for the evening. If it gets really bad I eat something small at night and decide not to agonize over it because I value sleep more. It helps every time. When I high restrict, I rarely struggle with falling asleep.

Other problems: sitting, lying down etc. hurts. Everything hurts. I've been able to keep up my stamina reasonably by going to the gym twice a week and going for walks, but I've grown significantly weaker. Sometimes I get random pains, back, knees, wherever. Chest pains but not like heart pains, idk if it's my ribs (the chest rib part you know) or what. I don't know anymore, I haven't payed attention in a while, but my heartbeat used to slow down a lot at night and it made me paranoid. Maybe it's stopped or maybe I got used to it haha.

#8 Pax~Immorte

Pax~Immorte

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1393 posts
  • LocationCanuck 🍁

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:18 PM

I have a heated mattress pad and it is a life saver! Along with a space heater and heating pad but usually two of the three is enough unless the temp dips way below freezing

I came, I saw, I tried to leave
but life just wasn’t done with me
So I waved hospice goodbye, took Ana’s hand in mine and begged
“Peace until the end?”
And with wry reply she sighed
“I’ll do my best my friend…”
So we live
side by side
Until it’s our turn to drift away
on the gentle tide
~Pax

“I meant to write about death, only life came breaking in as usual”
~Virginia Woolf

Accountability : https://www.myproana...reathe-i-hope”/

What is Harm Reduction (for Eating Disorders)?

https://jeatdisord.b...0306-3/tables/1[/url]

#9 stonescold

stonescold

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4395 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:28 PM

I try to layer up and use lots of blankets when I’m home, also a space heater might help if the heat in ur house isn’t enough. To sleep I either smoke weed, drink tea or take melatonin or Tylenol pm

#10 devonneby***sha

devonneby***sha

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:37 PM

Right now the most annoying side effect is muscle cramps. I wake up at night in a lot of pain because my muscles are cramping that bad. They're so bad, my muscles are sore for days because of them. And the cramps often last like 15 minutes or so before I feel some relief. I've been trying to take more vitamins and stuff like that cause I suspect this is due to malnourishment? Does anyone else experience this? 

#11 idanceskinny

idanceskinny

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 08:17 PM

Right now the most annoying side effect is muscle cramps. I wake up at night in a lot of pain because my muscles are cramping that bad. They're so bad, my muscles are sore for days because of them. And the cramps often last like 15 minutes or so before I feel some relief. I've been trying to take more vitamins and stuff like that cause I suspect this is due to malnourishment? Does anyone else experience this? 

Try taking potassium and magnesium.  Those help promote sleep and better muscle recovery.  Also, do you have a foam roller or some kind of massager?  Maybe try those or stretch after workouts.  I find when I don't roll out or stretch, my muscles tighten and cramp, sometimes my joints (especially knees) will lock out and it's really painful.

#12 MindOverFatter

MindOverFatter

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4759 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 08:28 PM

Sleep supplements like valerian root, melatonin, or doxylamine succinate. Good sleep hygiene (turning off electronics/using blue light filters, etc). Warm baths before bed. Stretching/yoga. Deep breathing exercises while in bed.

For warmth: Uniqlo heattech clothing, layering thermal clothes, heated blankets, space heaters. Hot drinks, hot baths/showers. Stretching in between longer periods of sitting around to get blood flowing.
  • skin-of-me likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users