WW leading to an ed - WeightWatchers - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

WW leading to an ed

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 whitelies

whitelies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:02 PM

Just curious if anyone else started their ed with ww?
5'6'' and 150 lbs
hw: 189
Lw:142
Gw:130
Ugw: let's get in the 130s and then we'll see if it's finally enough

The lows are so extreme that the good feels fucking cheap and it teases you for weeks in its absense

#2 LMNJ

LMNJ

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:04 PM

That's a good question. I found this website because I was googling for comments from people using WW. I was on it and losing slowly and just not getting the results I wanted. I found a post here that really spoke to me and decided to "restrict" and not eat all the food I was supposed to or allowed. Guess what? 15 lbs flew off my body. And I kept it off too. Eating less, restricting and giving only what is absolutely necessary to my body is what is keeping the weight off. I am a binge eater so I am not sure how WW affected my ED since my ED tells me to eat huge quantities in a short period of time in a heightened emotional state.

Are you currently on WW? I achieve lifetime last September. 

• Priscilaofphila likes this

Don't get stuck in the paralysis of perfection. 

Seeking the ultimate freedom from binge-eating.

CW = 138 (5/24)  //  138.5 (5/23)  //  140 (5/13)   //   141 (5/12)  //   SW=143 (5/7)    //   UGW = 115

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am  5'2 1/2"  //  51 years young  //   2nd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do //  HWE = 191 (1998)

#3 haley87

haley87

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:03 PM

WW did trigger a big relapse (bulimia) for me when I started about a year ago.   I got really obsessive with not going over my points and would start purging everything if I slipped up.  

• Summerlovely91 likes this

188 187 186 185 184 183 182 181 180 179 178 177 176 175  174 173 172 171 170 169 168 167 166 165 164 163 162 161 160 159 158 157 156 155 154 153 152 151 150 149 148 147 146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137 136 135 

#4 whitelies

whitelies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:15 PM

I have done ww several times and every time I take it to a restricting level. Currently I still points instead of calories. And I also started purging. I think my ED started when I started it because I wanted to eat less and less under my point allowance
5'6'' and 150 lbs
hw: 189
Lw:142
Gw:130
Ugw: let's get in the 130s and then we'll see if it's finally enough

The lows are so extreme that the good feels fucking cheap and it teases you for weeks in its absense

#5 221

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:37 PM

Yes it did, I believe that the point restrictions lead me into restricting calories. It also taught me that there are food that you should stay away from (these are the high point foods that wouldn't allow for much else in your day). Being on weight watchers also got me into carefully reading food labels as well as looking up weight loss tricks online. It honestly transitioned me right into my 300-500 calorie diet as well as exercising every day. 

#6 Struggle_2_Erase

Struggle_2_Erase

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:50 PM

Following WW didn't start my ED, but it definitely didn't make things any better. It did help me get to my lw. I gave all 0 point foods 1 point, and was on the lowest point value possible, so I was severely restricting without actually counting calories. But it gave the illusion that I was eating healthily.

#7 WhoreElbowSelfie

WhoreElbowSelfie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationHicksville, CA

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:11 PM

WW is where my ED started. Obviously you can't blame it on one factor, but watching my mom obsess over it and letting me participate at age 13 triggered the Fuck out of my Anorexia and Bulimia
  • Obscuriana likes this

#8 SkinnySarah2904

SkinnySarah2904

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

Yes WW started it, big time. But any diet can lead to an ED so it was just that I chose WW

I ended up working there for 2 years I was so obsessed with points, it was my life

Restrict anyone's Food and they soon start to obsess and their eating become disorderd

So it's up to you to manage it and controlling it enough that you can be happy and live an almost normal life
  • sustainablyskinny likes this

#9 RoseRain

RoseRain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:10 AM

My mom started on WW back when I was in middle school. I was an incredibly overweight middle schooler, and while she didn't take me to meetings, she taught me how to use the tools they gave her. I soon learned that it was much more effective to not use my weekly indulgence points at all and that furthermore, I should strive to have at least five points still left over in my daily allotment if I wanted to see any 'real' results. I lost 40-50 pounds in one spring semester that year, and I was still 150 pounds at the end of it. So... I would say that yes... WW probably did get me started on restriction and finally feeling like I could win if I just had enough self-discipline.

#10 girl anachronism

girl anachronism

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 4895 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:27 PM

it started my eating disorder too! i was always fucking hungry. i was 13! weight watchers does not permit enough food to satiate a small 13 y/o stomach.

that said, it has made ww food very safe for me. i'm now 21 and eat solely protein and weight watchers food. obsessively. even if something were to have less calories/be healthier/etc.. i only feel ok eating ww meals or low cal/fat ready meals from the supermarkt.

The stuffing/puking/stuffing/puking/stuffing/puking didn't make her skinny, it made her cry.

#11 yrngrl

yrngrl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:46 AM

yep, I did.

highest weight 202

current weight 103

#12 Guest_Just a Cat_*

Guest_Just a Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:32 PM

I don't think it caused it on its own, but it was definitely one of many factors. I did it on my own at home during middle school with the materials my mom had for it.

#13 fainting Ophelia

fainting Ophelia

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:29 PM

Didn't start it but highly supported it!

When down her weedy trophies and herself
Fell in the weeping brook. Her clothes spread wide;
And, mermaid-like, awhile they bore her up:
Which time she chanted snatches of old tunes;
As one incapable of her own distress,
Or like a creature native and indued
Unto that element: but long it could not be
Till that her garments, heavy with their drink,
Pull’d the poor wretch from her melodious lay
To muddy death.

(From Shakespeare's "Hamlet")

Diet Shake Accountability and Results

BMI

Starting: 28,2 - Current: 17,5 - Goal: 14,9

#14 Guest_Eludrea_*

Guest_Eludrea_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:06 AM

Die Not Start it but helped and encouraged me to restrict. Even in days when I consumed twice the amount of Pointe I have eben belle 1500cal and below my BMR

#15 babycarrots

babycarrots

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

ww definitely triggered a relapse for me. i still use it in combination with myfitnesspal

#16 smaller.me

smaller.me

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:41 PM

I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to say, hell yes, WW triggered my ED bad. I had never had a good relationship with food, I was always restricting and occasionally purging just cause thats what I saw my older sister do (she started weight watchers when she was 13, also has an ED), but when I started WW, thats when it really got bad. And at one point in high school I was bingeing almost everyday, got up to 170 lbs, and my mom convinced me to start WW. I points were just way for me to restrict and still feel like I was being healthy. I wouldn't eat all my points and then cry if I did or went over. I lost 40 lbs, lost my period (even though I was never underweight), ruined my metabolism forever, and I purge more then I ever have. While on WW, I thought it was the best thing ever. Now, I wish I never would have started.

Also, WW had this thing on their app called "Connect" which is basically a social media platform for members to share their successes and struggles. Its scarily similar to pro-ana. I would scroll through it and see people talking about chewing and spitting, saying things like "nothing tastes as good as being skinny feels", and other things like that you might see on this website. It made me super uncomfortable that this "non-diet" was so similar to such harmful things like pro-ana talk. Ugh.

Sorry, just had to speak my piece on WW. I think it could be good for a person who isn't prone to an ED, but I already had two family members with them. Not a good idea. Ugh.

• WannaBeLolita likes this

5' 3"

hw: 170           lw:130         cw:145        gw1:130            gw2:120

#17 trying88

trying88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:40 AM

I currently point instead of count calories. My mum and sister and quite overweight and I go with them. My sister knows I'm restricting but hasn't let on to any one else. My ED is about control, and if I can keep below a certain amount of points I don't cut.
In my mind because I'm having the odd bit of fruit or veg that isn't pointed it's fine. I'm ok.
But I know as soon as I make the move to cals over points it will get worse.
I'm down 21lb using the points and restricting that way. But I probably over point too.
Like milk in coffee. I say it's 1/4 a pint for 3 points. But I only really have three coffees.
Using the app has stoped the binges a bit. Just now I try stay under 20 points ( I'm on 30 with 42 weekly)
But I might go down to 15 next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 Mrs rabbit41

Mrs rabbit41

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1931 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:07 PM

Edit
giphy.gif

a4f4440a7dcfaf7b632b079b3bb6edc6.th.gif

CW 50.5 KilosGW 49

#19 Guest_Gab89_*

Guest_Gab89_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:41 PM

That's a good question. I found this website because I was googling for comments from people using WW. I was on it and losing slowly and just not getting the results I wanted. I found a post here that really spoke to me and decided to "restrict" and not eat all the food I was supposed to or allowed. Guess what? 15 lbs flew off my body. And I kept it off too. Eating less, restricting and giving only what is absolutely necessary to my body is what is keeping the weight off. I am a binge eater so I am not sure how WW affected my ED since my ED tells me to eat huge quantities in a short period of time in a heightened emotional state.

Are you currently on WW? I achieve lifetime last September.

I get 30 points a day and weeklies and don’t use all daily and don’t even like yo touch the weeklies. I don’t even get why people use their fit points! When u workout why are u going to eat the calories u burned off ? That’s totally pointless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 _Im.Not.Okay_

_Im.Not.Okay_

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationSacromento, California

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:13 AM

Yes I have tried to restrict my points by half but I hardly lost anything. Then I ate all my points I lost 7 pounds in a week. Yes it is really hard not to restrict. But it is worth it not to restrict because it works better.

|Frankie|25|California|Female|

Diagnoses
ADHD|PTSD|BPD|OCD|PDD|GENERAL&SOCIAL ANXIETY|BULIMIA W/ANA TENDENCIES|PANIC ATTACKS|SELF HARM|DISSOCIATION|

Stats

Height:5'8|HW:360|LW:130|CW: 354.5|

Challenges

None right now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users