A friendly reminder. New members, PLEASE READ - Page 2 - Community Introductions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

A friendly reminder. New members, PLEASE READ

pro ana pro mia lifestyle new members diet weight loss tips tricks health body

• Please log in to reply
921 replies to this topic

#21 Minji64

Minji64

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3014 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:04 AM

*applause for Emily*

• empty emily, pinkbunny, Dainty_queen and 3 others like this

mini-graphics-cats-397945.gif

OCD | Trichotillomania | Major Depression 

AnaNOS | Chew & Spit | SI Clean | Binge Clean

Goal: 80lb | 14.6

#22 skinny-and-determined

skinny-and-determined

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

This is so perfect. Thank you :)

• empty emily, Dainty_queen, Wyarwehere and 1 other like this

H: 5'9

SW: 144lbs

CW: 124lbs

NGW: 115lbs 

UGW: 95lbs

Follow my tumblr: mum-im-lesbian.tumblr.com

#23 DarkAngelGal

DarkAngelGal

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationAngelWorld

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

The thing is, you can very easily lose this weight the healthy way, without harming your body. Your metabolism will slow down, your stomach will shrink, and you won't be able to eat normally ever again. What you're going to end up doing is hitting 100, then (if you're not irreparably mentally or physically damaged at the end of all this) you'll shoot back up, higher than you've ever been. I know, because this happened to me in recovery. I gained 66lbs. I had never been that big, ever.

This "diet" is depriving your body of nutrients that it needs to function properly. You are starving yourself. We have to do this because we are mentally ill, but you do not. You can quit whenever you want to. And we envy you for that, and we all want you to stop. We all want you to turn this around before you become an empty shell of a girl, only bones, only skin. Your hair will fall out and your nails will chip and you'll break out and you'll grow tiny hairs all over your body to stay warm. This kills more people than any other mental disorder, and the "starvation diet" that you're on is dangerous.

Please stop while you can... we all wish that we could. We all wish this was just a diet, just a way to lose weight. We all wish we could have that slice of cake or that piece of pizza without hating ourselves and hurting ourselves and feeling guilty, over one item of food.

We don't want this for you, love. We want you to be happy and healthy and have a long, long life, loving yourself and not defining your worth based solely on your weight. We don't want you to be like us...

Thanks for your concern...but I'm not anorexic really. I have anorexic tendencies though. Like when I eat a lot or eat something fattening I feel guilty, I have to weigh myself naked and drink TONS of water! I still eat half my dinner and usually eat fruit for lunch...so I'm not "starving" myself to the extent those with ED's are...it's more like restricting.

I am well aware of how dangerous it is but I seriously NEED something to focus on other than the stress of my senior year and so that I can find ONE THING that I like about myself! I seriously despise myself, my appearance, my personality, everything...so if I'm thin, there is one thing I can say I like!

And though I have tendencies, I don't want this disorder, nor do I want to be a skeleton. (No offense). All I want is to feel somewhat happy with myself and everytime I lose weight, I feel accomplished. I can't stop now or else I'll never lose weight. Believe me, I've tried eating normally and exercising and it NEVER worked...only the times when I would do this, but in the past I would quit because I lost motivation...this website gives me it.

And I'm planning on stopping once I reach 100...but slowly. When you were recovery, I bet you had to eat a lot/ ate a lot right? I'm gonna try to slowly work my metabolism back up and continue until I'm in my proper eating habits. And if I happen to go over 120, I'll deprive myself again.

If I stop now, I'll never forgive myself. I'll fall deeper into self-loathing. Sorry but I refuse to stop until I reach my goal.

• YourTheLuckyOnes, Sarahanna and fairysteps like this

SW: 138 :angry:

CW: 128 <_<

GW1: 125 ;)

GW2: 115 ^_^

UGW:100 :D

#24 daniLeeee

daniLeeee

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

This is refreshing. but i think its important to remember that if your on a site called MyProAna, then you're pretty much already there. the only people who seek something like that are really desperate people already obsessed with weight. i know i was obsessed, restricting, binging, and counting calories YEARS before i had any idea i could attribute it to an eating disorder. because society led me to believe a person with an ED was someonr who completely deprived themselves of ALL nutrition 24 hours a day 7 days a week, until they had a heart attack and died. so i had no clue binging was an ED, or restricting or any of it. so yes we need to be all inclusive becauae if someone seeks myproana for any reason, wether its losing weight fast, they have.ana or mia, they're BED, they're most likely already desperately seeking some type of reprieve and its our job to be there. when my issues started getting bad, nothing.like this forum existed. this is an AMAZING site.
  • BeanpoleThin, x_paperclip_x, tootoo and 3 others like this

#25 DarkAngelGal

DarkAngelGal

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationAngelWorld

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

This is refreshing. but i think its important to remember that if your on a site called MyProAna, then you're pretty much already there. the only people who seek something like that are really desperate people already obsessed with weight. i know i was obsessed, restricting, binging, and counting calories YEARS before i had any idea i could attribute it to an eating disorder. because society led me to believe a person with an ED was someonr who completely deprived themselves of ALL nutrition 24 hours a day 7 days a week, until they had a heart attack and died. so i had no clue binging was an ED, or restricting or any of it. so yes we need to be all inclusive becauae if someone seeks myproana for any reason, wether its losing weight fast, they have.ana or mia, they're BED, they're most likely already desperately seeking some type of reprieve and its our job to be there. when my issues started getting bad, nothing.like this forum existed. this is an AMAZING site.

I agree with most of what you say...

But I don't have ana or mia...but more tendencies of it. So I don't think everyone on here has a full-blown eating disorder.

• proana4me and Carealotismyhappyplace like this

#26 dandelionwino

dandelionwino

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2340 posts
  • LocationGreen Town, Illinois

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

So well written and such a reflection of a concerned and loving heart. You are an angel Emily.
  • empty emily, BeanpoleThin, dresdenjah and 2 others like this

tumblr_mzs5lez7Lw1svecmko1_400.gif

H: 5'4" HW: 175 LW: 107 CW: 160

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go..." -T.S. Eliott

"The fishermen know the sea is dangerous and the storms are terrible, but they have never found this sufficient reason to remain on shore." Vincent VanGogh

25390258.png

#27 2bigfor2long

2bigfor2long

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for posting this.  One thing I like about this site that I think is missing on "regular" diet sites is that usually those are all about the physical.  I like that this site acknowledges the mental struggles that go with it.  I don't feel so alone anymore. 

• empty emily, dandelionwino, Avada Kedavra and 2 others like this

5'8" 

SW: 333

CW: 289

GW: 164

UGW: 132

#28 Guest_Thin_inside_*

Guest_Thin_inside_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Well said! You are my hero Emily.  ^_^

• empty emily likes this

#29 empty emily

empty emily

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

Thank you guys! I put a bit of work into it :) I felt it was necessary and fairly important, and someone had to say it. 

I agree with you, dear. Anyone that's desperate enough to ask us for help is very possibly already disordered, and anyone that comes here certainly belongs here. We're here to give support above all else, and I hate seeing people telling "dieters" to leave just because they don't have an eating disorder. There's a lot more to it than that, and not many people think about the mental part of it.

Thanks for your concern...but I'm not anorexic really. I have anorexic tendencies though. Like when I eat a lot or eat something fattening I feel guilty, I have to weigh myself naked and drink TONS of water! I still eat half my dinner and usually eat fruit for lunch...so I'm not "starving" myself to the extent those with ED's are...it's more like restricting.

I am well aware of how dangerous it is but I seriously NEED something to focus on other than the stress of my senior year and so that I can find ONE THING that I like about myself! I seriously despise myself, my appearance, my personality, everything...so if I'm thin, there is one thing I can say I like!

And though I have tendencies, I don't want this disorder, nor do I want to be a skeleton. (No offense). All I want is to feel somewhat happy with myself and everytime I lose weight, I feel accomplished. I can't stop now or else I'll never lose weight. Believe me, I've tried eating normally and exercising and it NEVER worked...only the times when I would do this, but in the past I would quit because I lost motivation...this website gives me it.

And I'm planning on stopping once I reach 100...but slowly. When you were recovery, I bet you had to eat a lot/ ate a lot right? I'm gonna try to slowly work my metabolism back up and continue until I'm in my proper eating habits. And if I happen to go over 120, I'll deprive myself again.

If I stop now, I'll never forgive myself. I'll fall deeper into self-loathing. Sorry but I refuse to stop until I reach my goal.

Restricting is starving yourself, love. I just want you to be safe. xx

it's easy, there's a trick to it, you do it or you die.

H: 5'4" // CW:119 // BMI20.4

160 155 150 145 140 135 130 125 120 115 110 105

6/1     6/4     6/8     6/15    6/23    7/8    7/31     8/25    11/4      1/1      2/1       3/1

#30 empty emily

empty emily

Sage

• Members
  • 1074 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:48 AM

xx

6/1     6/4     6/8     6/15    6/23    7/8    7/31     8/25    11/4      1/1      2/1       3/1

#31 DarkAngelGal

DarkAngelGal

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationAngelWorld

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

Thanks. But I don't really see it as starving myself since I'm still eating food that most on here wouldn't. I ate some MCDonald's yesterday for lunch. (Not all of it...but we were coming back from my senior pic and mom wanted McDonald's. It would've been suspicious if I refused.)

Strangely enough,  I didn't gain but didn't lose either.

#32 Thin.Calamity

Thin.Calamity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

Emily-
I am a new member and was really glad to see this on here. I have had an Ed since I was a young teenager and wished I had someone like you around at that time. I hope in my heart that young girls read this and take heed to your message.

Much love,
Celeste

I see perfection everywhere

except in the mirror

#33 Guest_SallyStruggles_*

Guest_SallyStruggles_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

Really appreciate these words. I've rejoined the site after a long break, but I feel lost without knowing there is such a huge community readily available to talk to about so many issues regarding ED's. I'm going through a rough patch again and even after only being back on here for one day, i've had 4 truly kind hearted and non-judgmental girls chatting with me,  giving me advice and helping me to not feel alone. 

Everyone has their own unique story to tell, but we all have one same issue in common. This binds us and we should support one another to want to be healthy and happy. I'm getting help again, my assessment is in 2 weeks. My weight has gone up and down and up and down over the last couple of months due to people trying to feed me up and they don't realise they are just triggering binges, and prolonging my illness. 

I'm hoping that after a 10 year battle, I can finally become the person I want to be, with professional help, and the support from you guys. xx

#34 Guest_shamayamikel_*

Guest_shamayamikel_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

(Let's talk strictly anorexia and bulimia for a moment.)

To those of you who are here seeking diet tips: Many members on this site have an eating disorder. We didn't sit down and decide that we'd like to lose weight. None of us will recommend to you doing the things that we've done. We understand what it's like to be stuck at a higher weight, hating yourself, but we also want you to understand, you're not going to love yourself or your body any more once you lose weight this way.

It is your body and there's nothing we can do to really stop you from doing any of this--from reading the forums, from taking tips--and we're not going to try. If you are going to do this, we'd like you to do it as safely as possible, and we can help you with that. We just want you to understand the risks of what you're doing, and to consider the fact that you will be harming your body, and that this could kill you.

Also, please think about this: diets are not all about losing weight quickly. It's about losing it and keeping it off. You should lose weight the healthy way and it is possible, period. There are no excuses, like, "oh, I've tried everything, nothing works!"--if you eat right and exercise, you WILL see results, end of story. We can't do that. If I could choose to start all over at 160 and lose weight the right way, I would in an instant. I've lost 35lbs since relapse and I still hate my body. I will always hate it, because I am sick. You could die doing this. We want you to understand the risks.

This community is, however, accepting of all of its members. You will not be treated any differently if you have an ED than if you don't have an ED. You will become part of the family here, no matter what. We will encourage you to seek help and we will support you through whatever mess you're in, but we do not encourage people to starve themselves. You will receive information on weight loss and nutrition from the experts, but you will not be told to starve yourself.

To the long-standing members: This site is all-inclusive. We should be accepting of everyone who comes here, even those looking for a "quick way to lose weight". We need to be supportive-- people come here for support, and to feel less alone. By telling someone without an ED who comes here to find diet tips to "leave" and that they are "stupid" or "not welcome here", you're doing far more harm than good.

We should explain these things to them. We've all become very knowledgeable about weight loss, calories, exercise, and things of this nature; they know this. If they ask us for tips, they're obviously desperate for some sort of help, so talk to them. We need to tell them what works and what will keep them healthy. Some of us know these things better than our doctors know them.

I don't want these dieters to develop develop an eating disorder any more than you do-- so show them how horrible this is for them. Warn them of the dangers. If they still want to proceed, there are obviously some deeper issues. You can encourage them to get help all you want, but ultimately, it's up to them what they do with their bodies.

I would not wish this disorder on my worst enemy. This is hell on earth.

You cannot choose to have an eating disorder, but you may develop one here. It is very triggering. You will become fascinated by food and overjoyed at your weight loss.

You may lose weight quickly through starving yourself, but that progress will be gone the moment you begin eating properly again.

This is not a diet. This is not a lifestyle. Should you choose to make this mental illness your diet or your lifestyle, you will be forever ruining your body, hurting those around you, and ultimately, killing yourself.

Once you start counting calories, you will never stop.

None of us want this for you. We want you to be happy, healthy, and able to love yourselves.

Please, be safe.

Could not have said this better myself.

#35 Guest_d3adinsid3_*

Guest_d3adinsid3_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

I really like this post and I agree whole heatedly. I would't wanna ask my ed on anyone as well... 

#36 empty emily

empty emily

Sage

• Members
  • 1074 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

Thanks. But I don't really see it as starving myself since I'm still eating food that most on here wouldn't. I ate some MCDonald's yesterday for lunch. (Not all of it...but we were coming back from my senior pic and mom wanted McDonald's. It would've been suspicious if I refused.)

Strangely enough,  I didn't gain but didn't lose either.

Eating under 1200cal is starving yourself. You're depriving your body of vitamins and nutrients that it needs to function properly, and you're not getting enough energy from the amount of food you eat. It's very dangerous, love.

(many of us have had to make the same sacrifices to keep our secrets.)

#37 empty emily

empty emily

Sage

• Members
  • 1074 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

Emily-
I am a new member and was really glad to see this on here. I have had an Ed since I was a young teenager and wished I had someone like you around at that time. I hope in my heart that young girls read this and take heed to your message.

Much love,
Celeste

Could not have said this better myself.

I really like this post and I agree whole heatedly. I would't wanna ask my ed on anyone as well... 

Thanks for the kind words, girls. It certainly needed to be said. xx

Really appreciate these words. I've rejoined the site after a long break, but I feel lost without knowing there is such a huge community readily available to talk to about so many issues regarding ED's. I'm going through a rough patch again and even after only being back on here for one day, i've had 4 truly kind hearted and non-judgmental girls chatting with me,  giving me advice and helping me to not feel alone. 

Everyone has their own unique story to tell, but we all have one same issue in common. This binds us and we should support one another to want to be healthy and happy. I'm getting help again, my assessment is in 2 weeks. My weight has gone up and down and up and down over the last couple of months due to people trying to feed me up and they don't realise they are just triggering binges, and prolonging my illness. 

I'm hoping that after a 10 year battle, I can finally become the person I want to be, with professional help, and the support from you guys. xx

That's why I love this place. No matter what path you're on, you will always have support here. You can do it, lovely. :) be safe xx

• SkinTight likes this

#38 daniLeeee

daniLeeee

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

I think its really important that you said, EATING LESS THAN 1200 CALORIES IS STARVING YOURSELF, Emily. 1200 is the LOWEST end of the scale. i know most of us this 800 is too many but science has shown that to most people 1200 is restricting your calories. so when a person restricts past 1200 that is consideres starvating themselves. it can be dangerous to deny the fact that you're starving yourself.
  • empty emily, SkinTight, 0JPG and 3 others like this

#39 empty emily

empty emily

Sage

• Members
  • 1074 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:55 PM

xx

#40 empty emily

empty emily

Sage

• Members
  • 1074 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

xx

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pro ana, pro mia, lifestyle, new members, diet, weight loss, tips, tricks, health, body

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users