Is weight watchers worth it? - WeightWatchers - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Is weight watchers worth it?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_LexylovesFashion_*

Guest_LexylovesFashion_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:14 PM

Or is it just like my fitnesspal

#2 haley87

haley87

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:13 PM

There are some aspects of the WW plan that I really liked, but it's really easy to do on your own without paying for WW, IMO.  I am absolutely terrible about eating fruits and vegetables (don't like them) and when I was on mfp, I would be more likely to not eat them because I'd rather spend calories on food I liked.  The "free" fruits and veggies on WW was good for me.  I also liked the "weekly" points so that I felt like I had a small amount of wiggle room rather than saying, "Oh I messed up, might as well binge."  I tried MFP numerous times and could never lose more than 10 pounds.  I don't know what the difference was with WW for me but something just clicked.  I lost my first 30 pounds using the WW plan.  However, what I realized was that even though WW claims this isn't true, 99% of the time 40 calories= 1 point.  So it's not really a "special formula" that they're using to help you eat more nutritious foods.   After being on the plan for 6 months, the only time I found the 40 calories thing to not be true was with alcohol.   So basically, if you know how the point system works it's no better than MFP and not worth paying anything.  I just did a round of the HSGD and found it to be very similar to WW (low calories, free fruits and veggies, can earn more calories through exercise) and I did that for free!  I lose 10 pounds on that after slacking on WW for awhile.  I actually found I liked HSGD a little more because I could use exercise for flexibility rather than "weekly" points.    WW only lets you "earn" 40 calories per every 100 calories burned, meaning someone that works out a lot could actually be eating too little.  I liked the fact that with HSGD I could "earn back" all the calories I burned if I felt I needed them.  I really struggled with binging so this was helpful to me- knowing that I could have a dessert or whatever and "earn" it rather than having to "cheat" and ending up eating 8 desserts, lol. 

I do think it might be different if you're actually going to WW meetings and having someone weigh you.  That accountability would be helpful.  However, I'm way too self conscious for that and I was doing the online plan. 

• Topoli likes this

188 187 186 185 184 183 182 181 180 179 178 177 176 175  174 173 172 171 170 169 168 167 166 165 164 163 162 161 160 159 158 157 156 155 154 153 152 151 150 149 148 147 146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137 136 135 

#3 lemming99

lemming99

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9070 posts
  • LocationUK, the supermarket

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:51 PM

you can get the information in the first few sessions and do it at home

• raspberryswirl likes this

*eating 500 a day until New Year^, i could not be thin again if i tried. 

CW:131 lbs  , 5'4 

GW 1: 130 

GW 2:120  

GW 3:115 (new clothes, contact ex)

GW 4: 105 

UGW: 95 LBS

LW:102 lbs (2005)

They say i'm plump, but i  throw up all the time. 

#4 sappho_

sappho_

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:00 PM

i've gone to ww in the past and i really liked the accountability of having a day to work towards.  it made me stick to the plan more because i knew my weekly weigh in was only 2 or 3 days away.  i also liked seeing other people lose weight and having silent competitions in my head to lose quicker than them.  it was nice to get the little prizes when you hit milestones too.  but i'm actually not sure if i want to go back right now because they might try to get me to eat more if i keep losing at my current rate.  they generally like you to only lose around 2 lbs max per week.  also, i find MFP tracking more detailed, and i like being able to see the nutritional content, and not just my "points".

• LMNJ and Emaciator like this

14884433.png

#5 Guest_NoCoffeeNoWorkee_*

Guest_NoCoffeeNoWorkee_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:58 PM

This website has all the information for free and calculators on their site. That's what I use
http://www.exercise4...t-watchers.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 queen0735

queen0735

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:54 AM

I don't think its worth it I actually tried it and couldn't really make it work for me. I read this review about the Venus Factor Program at awesomedietreviews.com and i really like it so far they have an online community and weekly calls to talk and ask about problems we are facing.

awesomedietreviews.com

#7 .:BabyJane:.

.:BabyJane:.

Guru

• Supporter
  • 488 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:21 AM

It's working for me, I've lost 5.5 lb in two weeks. I was on MFP before, but I find that WW, especially with their free fruits and veggies, suits me better. It's something about counting calories (vs points) that stresses me out.

You don't have to be a member though, there are points calculators on the internet.

• happyin15 likes this

X9yCbbw.png

Spoiler

#8 zebraffe_x

zebraffe_x

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:24 PM

I've tried both and, honestly, I kinda liked WW but I think it also liked it because I was trying to do it with my mom.  After a while my mom stopped being... enthusiastic about it so it made it harder for me to continue until I just stopped going altogether.  With WW is how I actually got down to my lowest weight (I have yet to reach that with MFP) but MFP is all I'm really starting to use again.  Personally, I think I prefer WW.

weight.png

February challenge

Spoiler

♥♥♥ The Two Month Challenge ♥♥♥

Spoiler

#9 zebraffe_x

zebraffe_x

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:26 PM

Don't mean to double post but I forgot to add this.

You don't have to be a member though, there are points calculators on the internet.

Where do you find those calculators that are good?

weight.png

February challenge

Spoiler

♥♥♥ The Two Month Challenge ♥♥♥

Spoiler

#10 raspberryswirl

raspberryswirl

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5800 posts
  • Locationhell, united kingdom

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:29 PM

Only if your recovered and like food. It's very slow.

Bmi: 17.2 fml :(
Lw.76 lbs (summer 2017)

CW:104 lbs :(

HW: 185 lbs (summer 2012)

GW: 95 lbs by September, 80 by xmas

Weight before ED:140 lbs. (2003)

​will you hold me tight and not let go

#11 .:BabyJane:.

.:BabyJane:.

Guru

• Supporter
  • 488 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:55 AM

Don't mean to double post but I forgot to add this.

Where do you find those calculators that are good?

SInce they recently changed plans I haven't seen any new calculators, sorry :(

X9yCbbw.png

Spoiler

#12 Guest_NoCoffeeNoWorkee_*

Guest_NoCoffeeNoWorkee_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:04 AM

I bought a points plus kit with pedometer and calculator and all the booklets. Starter kit maybe for $12 on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 Pan Man

Pan Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:28 AM

The weight watchers plan has changed , last year Operah bought the company after being on the plan and she see how good it worked for her....I joined WW back on Dec 15/15 , I'm down -40.4 lbs. It is all about choices and what we eat. Eat this not that. Eat smaller meals and snack throughout the day.

I did see Operah on tv a week or so ago. Her ass was about the size of a smart car...so I'm thinking she need to move a little more and leave the wine alone. BUT the program itself works.  

#14 thankyouformymemories

thankyouformymemories

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:10 PM

im not convinced

#15 BlueSparkle

BlueSparkle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:47 PM

There are some aspects of the WW plan that I really liked, but it's really easy to do on your own without paying for WW, IMO.  I am absolutely terrible about eating fruits and vegetables (don't like them) and when I was on mfp, I would be more likely to not eat them because I'd rather spend calories on food I liked.  The "free" fruits and veggies on WW was good for me.  I also liked the "weekly" points so that I felt like I had a small amount of wiggle room rather than saying, "Oh I messed up, might as well binge."  I tried MFP numerous times and could never lose more than 10 pounds.  I don't know what the difference was with WW for me but something just clicked.  I lost my first 30 pounds using the WW plan.  However, what I realized was that even though WW claims this isn't true, 99% of the time 40 calories= 1 point.  So it's not really a "special formula" that they're using to help you eat more nutritious foods.   After being on the plan for 6 months, the only time I found the 40 calories thing to not be true was with alcohol.   So basically, if you know how the point system works it's no better than MFP and not worth paying anything.  I just did a round of the HSGD and found it to be very similar to WW (low calories, free fruits and veggies, can earn more calories through exercise) and I did that for free!  I lose 10 pounds on that after slacking on WW for awhile.  I actually found I liked HSGD a little more because I could use exercise for flexibility rather than "weekly" points.    WW only lets you "earn" 40 calories per every 100 calories burned, meaning someone that works out a lot could actually be eating too little.  I liked the fact that with HSGD I could "earn back" all the calories I burned if I felt I needed them.  I really struggled with binging so this was helpful to me- knowing that I could have a dessert or whatever and "earn" it rather than having to "cheat" and ending up eating 8 desserts, lol. 

I do think it might be different if you're actually going to WW meetings and having someone weigh you.  That accountability would be helpful.  However, I'm way too self conscious for that and I was doing the online plan. 

How long did it take you to lose 30 lbs? 

af25cb0b458165a5810e35a3f3172351.gifc233dfb34a7c787fae5fc558c97ea4c7.gifaf25cb0b458165a5810e35a3f3172351.gif

205a6012a41fd8376dd3943f9153dab7.pngHeight 5'1205a6012a41fd8376dd3943f9153dab7.png

CW:140 lbs (after having twins)

GW1:135 lbs

GW2:130 lbs

GW3: 125 lbs

GW4: 120 lbs

GW5: 115 lbs

GW6: 110 lbs

UGW: 100 lbs

#16 Svelte and Sullen

Svelte and Sullen

Warrior

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

i'd say yes

#17 Priscilaofphila

Priscilaofphila

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:59 PM

The new ww plan sucks big time.... like mangos are zero points.... that's absurd. I absolutely do not follow their diet. I go for the weekly silent competition in my head, weekly weigh in and my food addiction.
  • Functionssucks1016 likes this
Sw: 170lbs
Cw: 156
Gw: 126

Current bmi 25.2
Goal bmi: 20.3

Start 2/2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users