Anti-binge tips and resources - BED Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Anti-binge tips and resources

• Please log in to reply
531 replies to this topic

#1 massdefect

massdefect

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:14 PM

POPULAR

Unlike many of the other pro forums, everyone here wants to stop binge eating.  Could we please sticky these resources and member tips on how to avoid a binge?  Maybe some of these links:

NIH US National Library of Medicine

Also, some things that help me:

• Having someone to talk to, even online.  The secrecy and shame make bingeing worse, and also writing/talking can interrupt the binge cycle.
  • Keeping a refillable water bottle with me at all times, and keeping very hydrated.
  • Taking a multivitamin every day.  (Get a brand that doesn't make you nauseated on an empty stomach).
  • Making sure to have protein at each meal or snack.
  • Having a picture on my phone screen saver that reminds me of my goals.
  • Avoiding sweets; they make me want more.
  • Planning meals and snacks in advance, including the exact time I will eat them.
  • Keeping a protein bar or apple in my purse, so I never get to the low-blood-sugar stage and start eating everything.

• LeatherCabbage, sadwannabe, Anne Gwish and 190 others like this
Paris
          ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

#2 massdefect

massdefect

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:20 PM

POPULAR

Chewable antacids for hunger pangs and nausea.

Fiber pills with meals and LOTS of water to get that over-full feeling while still restricting.

This sounds crazy, but I read about a woman who pretended to herself that she had weight-loss surgery, and got on their support boards and everything, and ate the bariatric post-surgery diet.  She had convinced herself that she had to restrict or burst her imaginary stitches.

• eatingtoads, sadwannabe, Morgan le Fou and 158 others like this
Paris
          ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

#3 thinforher

thinforher

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:14 PM

POPULAR

The thing is my binges are mostly impulsive, so I can just like study and the next second just binge out like crazy. Also high protein food makes me sick and gives me a headache (even stuff like beans and lentils because I'm vegan) but this is a good thread and I'll write down tips when I come up with some c:

• Lolth, britterfly, 50shadesofnotokay and 48 others like this

5 kg left

#4 cosmonaut

cosmonaut

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4200 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:19 PM

thank you.
  • SenpaiPenisFrog, lady.butterball, totalmachine and 3 others like this

tumblr_inline_mowsqzOg121qz4rgp.png

#5 massdefect

massdefect

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:42 AM

POPULAR

Thank you, Admin/Mods, for stickying this.  

A technique I have tried is "Riding the Wave."  You try to acknowledge that you are feeling an intense urge to binge, and accept it, like riding a roller coaster, instead of actually eating to relieve the urge.  What goes up must come down, so you sort of suffer through, knowing it's temporary, treating it like an amusement park ride that you don't particularly enjoy, but have to ride through to the end.

The next person who tries it (maybe me!) could check in every once in a while on a thread here or something, if they feel alone while fighting it.

• Jessiiiiiiiiii, sadwannabe, Morgan le Fou and 287 others like this
Paris
          ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

#6 Guest_nonsense_*

Guest_nonsense_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:47 AM

go for a long walk once you feel the urge to binge
  • massdefect, Ana_Mia_Trouble, Seeking Bones and 2 others like this

#7 TinyChica777

TinyChica777

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2982 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:40 AM

Thank you for posting this... /:')
I went on a two day binger and got soooooooooo sick.
I need to definitely put a stop to this
  • skinnyme18, 4myfuture, jojo222 and 15 others like this

#8 massdefect

massdefect

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:51 AM

POPULAR

Recognize that you can stop partway through a binge.  It's OK to dispose of unhealthy binge food; you're no more wasting it by throwing it away than you would be by eating way more than your body needs.

Change scenery if you can.  If you feel the urge to binge while studying at home, study in the library instead.

• LetsFly, eatingtoads, vega_is_gone and 109 others like this
Paris
          ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

#9 Guest_Fennec_*

Guest_Fennec_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:19 PM

Chew mint gum or brush your teeth with mint toothpaste.
Remember that time you went to drink orange juice after you brushed your teeth? Ya. Works with food too. Just something I've found helps me.

• seasickheart, offbeatkid, starveskinny101 and 28 others like this

#10 IntoTheOcean

IntoTheOcean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

POPULAR

Thank you, Admin, for stickying this.

A technique I have tried is "Riding the Wave." You try to acknowledge that you are feeling an intense urge to binge, and accept it, like riding a roller coaster, instead of actually eating to relieve the urge. What goes up must come down, so you sort of suffer through, knowing it's temporary, treating it like an amusement park ride that you don't particularly enjoy, but have to ride through to the end.

The next person who tries it (maybe me!) could check in every once in a while on a thread here or something, if they feel alone while fighting it.

I used this technique last night. I skipped the binge and woke up lighter. It SUCKED for about 20 minutes. I hated the world and I was so distraught over not binging on the spaghetti. But it passed and I was so proud. Currently 10 days binge free.
  • Jessiiiiiiiiii, Jekyll & Hyde, Lolth and 188 others like this
Signature to come later
.. When I can figure out what or who I am and where I'm going and how ill get there.

#11 forevermindful

forevermindful

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:17 PM

POPULAR

after the last extreme binge, when i felt super nauseous and sad, I wrote a letter to myself. the after-binge-me writing to future about-to-binge-me. today i almost felt like i was going to stuff my face with all kinds of stuff, then i remembered and i read the letter! not only passed time and i felt full, but also it really reminded me of how awful the last binge was and why i never wanted to binge again.. definitely worth a try! xx

• TinyChica777, Lolth, Renara and 105 others like this

BINGE FREE DAYS - 0

Everyday-Workout-Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

current mono-diet: apples  bananas 

liquid-fast: day 0 

Motto(s) of the Week! [ ] Veggie-Week | [ ] no dairy/nuts | [ ] monos | [ ] low-carb | [x] 2468 | [ ] under 500 

CW: 116

GW1: 114  

GW2: 110 

Ultimate Goal: 107 (asap!)

this is the youngest i will ever be, so why can I not just be the best version of myself?

M I N D F U L N E S S

#12 IvySunshine

IvySunshine

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

good tips :)

#13 Guest_dead1004_*

Guest_dead1004_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:54 PM

8 8-count breaths before actually binging

Go sit on the toilet and look at your thighs

Go on mpa

Swallow an ice cube (a small one)

Jiggle your body in front of the mirror

• Beautifulheart, ✽Safi✽, thin-as-me and 11 others like this

#14 mattypuker

mattypuker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:57 PM

could someone give me tips on how not to binge during school? im scared i will and its embarrassing. my body and stomach feels tickly(?) and then i get shakey and just desperate for some kind of food
  • MissKimberlyJoy, -A., uncontrollabledreamer and 7 others like this

#15 Pneumothorax

Pneumothorax

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1225 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:35 PM

POPULAR

When you're not binging and you're just eating "normally" train yourself to eat slowly. Chew your food. Hold it on your tongue. Do this for every meal. It's helped me binge less because I'm a lot more satisfied with food. I can actually stop after a few bites of binge foods now!!!

• Lolth, fastinggirl47, anadaya1988 and 63 others like this

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

× smoke weed everyday ×

this bitch right here is FOURTWENTYFRIENDLY

SEVENTENFRIENDLY

AND JUST A FRIENDLY MOTHERFUCKER IN GENERAL.

×♥× But, please don't be offended if I don't respond, I have social anxiety and am a work in progress ×♥×

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

cw: 190

gw: 96

hw: 220

lw: 125

#16 astalavista

astalavista

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:58 AM

POPULAR

For me every single anti-binge tip comes down to taking self-care actions or showing oneself some love.

I was cruel for myself for too long and it finally became clear to me, that's definitely not the way.

Often I just close my eyes, breathe deep, put my hand on my heart and try to feel connected to myself again. Not trying to numb or distract myself from anything shitty what's going on inside. I want to be present and aware of that. Yes it's painful and agonizing but this is my reality at the moment and I just want to look it in the eyes and show it some acceptance. Like this is it, no need to deny it. And after a while i can feel some kind of relief.

• Jessiiiiiiiiii, 99mirrors, veggietales and 107 others like this

The day you decide you are more interested in being aware of your thoughts than you are in the thoughts themselves - that is the day you will find your way out.
- Michael Singer

Days binge-free: 7

#17 massdefect

massdefect

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:13 AM

could someone give me tips on how not to binge during school? im scared i will and its embarrassing. my body and stomach feels tickly(?) and then i get shakey and just desperate for some kind of food

If you're getting shaky, I suspect low blood sugar.  Are you eating breakfast really early, (or not eating it at all) then getting shaky close to lunch?  If you can keep some kind of small protein snack to eat mid-morning, like a string cheese or some nuts, that might help.  Just a few bites will help.

Personally, low blood sugar is a huge binge trigger for me.  

• Lolth, MissKimberlyJoy, Poppy66 and 12 others like this
Paris
          ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

#18 Moon Gum

Moon Gum

The Walking Contradiction

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14191 posts
  • LocationBetween a pillow and a comfy place.

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:16 AM

Yes I need this so so much lol

• Bogi and juliafish11 like this

1995. walking contradiction.

Talk about maths!

See my accountability!

See my twitter!

Ask me anything!

See my art!

POLITICS!

I am just you, in a parallel existence..

IxuAj7El.jpg

We're like birds in random flight, chaotic yet beautiful, noisy yet peaceful. One day we collide - but we don't crash, and somehow end up melding into something even better?

#19 thinblueberry

thinblueberry

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:18 AM

I kinda like it when i hold my binge in and then i get a headache
  • thatskinnybitch, bow, HateMeForAllTheThings and 11 others like this

#20 LoseItGirl

LoseItGirl

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts
  • LocationOn my way to the fridge

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:18 PM

I have written all the reasons why I don't want to binge, my goals and also how I feel after a binge.

I try to avoid buying stuff like cookies and pizza because once something like that is home, I know I'm gonna eat it. I buy/save the money for things that I'd like to buy like clothes/makeup (even if later I spend it on other things).

I watch series like My 600-lb life; watch it and you will have yet another reason to not binge, those people's cravings got out of control.

I keep a food diary on my phone and write what I've eaten and if I had binged or not.

Keep pictures of outfits you'd love to wear and look at them (if you are able to remember) before binging.

It doesn't always work and sometimes I will just binge but it helps.

• thatskinnybitch, NarianWasAlive, Duplo and 27 others like this
jjzC0r1.jpg
tA2UR6I.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users