Anti-binge tips and resources - Page 27 - BED Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Anti-binge tips and resources

• Please log in to reply
531 replies to this topic

#521 Cupsoftea123

Cupsoftea123

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 09:41 AM

Thank you, Admin/Mods, for stickying this.  

A technique I have tried is "Riding the Wave."  You try to acknowledge that you are feeling an intense urge to binge, and accept it, like riding a roller coaster, instead of actually eating to relieve the urge.  What goes up must come down, so you sort of suffer through, knowing it's temporary, treating it like an amusement park ride that you don't particularly enjoy, but have to ride through to the end.

The next person who tries it (maybe me!) could check in every once in a while on a thread here or something, if they feel alone while fighting it.

I know this post is from 2015, but I tried this yesterday and it actually worked!! Ok it wasn't the worst urge I've had, but maybe that was because I was telling myself "this is just part of the ride it will be over soon". 

Thank you  :wub:

• massdefect and ChefGumi like this

#522 Cupsoftea123

Cupsoftea123

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 09:42 AM

I love these talks about addiction (TED talks). Many have (well I did) a false view of reality and this may help. Things like this worked for me.

Mental toughness 

Everything you think about addiction is wrong

Reclaim your brain from addictive behavior

I can find more on the subject if this stuff hits home at all hope this helps.

Wow this really spoke to me! Thank you  :wub:

#523 crackcocaine

crackcocaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 25 March 2021 - 01:03 AM

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I found this reddit post a while back and thought this tip was pretty useful. I'll copy and paste what that person suggested here:

Basically, make a list of safe foods (i.e. foods you general don’t binge on and feel safe eating) and a list of non safe foods (i.e. foods you tend to binge on or don’t feel comfortable eating)

Next make a list of safe places (aka places you don’t generally binge, like a restaurant or in public with your friends) and non safe places (like your room alone)

Lastly make a list of safe times (times you’re less likely to binge, for me it’s the morning or afternoon) and non safe times (times you’re more likely to binge, for me it’d be evening or late at night)

From now on, 2/3 of those things need to be safe whenever you eat ANYTHING. Not in a safe place? If you’re going to eat, it has to be a safe food and at a safe time. Not eating a safe food? You bet your ass you have to eat it in a safe place and at a safe time!!! As long as 2/3 are safe - challenge yourself with something NOT safe.

Not only does this encourage eating non-safe foods in a healthy way, it really helps deflect a binge if you stick to it.

I hope this helps y’all as much as it’s been helping me!!

I personally don't do this with EVERYTHING and ANYTIME I eat, but regardless this has been helpful for me. The worst binges happen with non-safe foods, all alone at night in my room. Sometimes even eliminating only one of the 3 "bad" elements helps a ton. For example, even if I want to binge on something like cookies late at night, I'll try to convince myself to sit in the living room with my roommate or have a close friend over or something (someone I'm comfortable around eating... and even then it's kinda uncomfortable but yeah) instead of secretly bringing all the food to my room and bingeing on it by myself. If I had it "planned" in my head that I wanted to binge on something, I can still sort of do that, but with control and at a slower pace because someone's there to witness it. I can barely eat around people, let alone stuff my face like I would during an actual binge. I'll even share some so there's less for me! Also there's the added benefit that people see me eat unhealthy things and hopefully think I have a normal relationship with food lol.

• ChefGumi and NipTuckFiend like this

185CM  /  6'1

51KG  /  112LBS

#524 Arianna00

Arianna00

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 07:29 PM

Since my depression got worse my BED came back.
I’m going to try to write down safe food/places/times and non safe food/places/times and see if it works
I’m truly desperate and I’m willing to try anything, if fact I’m going to try c/s new time I binge.

Can anyone relate to my nightmare? My depression won’t go away and I’m scared I’ll binge forever
  • NotSkinnyWannaB likes this

#525 IntroxAna

IntroxAna

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1223 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:11 AM

In a better place with binging (slightly) this year I maintain most days and restrict for a few using OMAD but the mentalities still there.

I heard this on a podcast and I'm going to try it to spread out food throughout the day. 

The idea from (AKA Katie Morton) is:

To have two 1 - 10 scales that you complete either writing it down or just in your head before and after every time you eat. 

One scale is emotion where 10 is panic attack - 1 is I feel nothing.

The other hunger scale 1 is starving,10 so stuffed it's uncomfortable.

( 3 is when you should eat, 4/5 is when you should allow yourself to think about what, when, where you'll eat next, 7 should be where you are after you've eaten comfortably full, 8 when you've had a few bites extra)

I think this might really help me as I definitely 'eat' my feelings and aren't in touch with them / want to block them out. She talks about processing (e.g. journaling / impulse log) / distracting (e.g. paint nails / watch a movie) healthy coping strategies too. That you don't have to face things straight away if it's hard just use healthy distractions. It might take 10 healthy ones to make up for the one bad but in the long term it will be worth it.    

• stellstar likes this

"Insanity is a logical response to an insane world".

Stereotypes have their place but life is a Spectrum and if you don't see that you miss out on so many of the colours.

#526 DonutBabe

DonutBabe

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 10:58 AM

I cant find the original video, but i remember this fitness guy who recovered BED and said something along the lines of:

"if you wreck a tire on your car, you wouldn't get out and start slashing the rest of your tires."

it's the same with binge eating. If you mess up a little bit (like went slightly out of your plan/ over ate, or went over your calorie goal) you don't have to "slash all your tires" and keep eating till you feel sick.

This might sound obvious to most people, but telling myself i don't have to "slash all my tires" just bc I ate something i don't know the calories of, i don't have to make it worse by purposefully eating 3000 calories worth of junk to sabotage myself, and its made my objective "hard" binges reduce to subjective binges; which still isn't ideal but the repercussions are a lot less.

• hemadoll, Manuka and IntroxAna like this

Spoiler

5'2.5"

HW: 130 lb (2014) // LW: 65.0 lbs (2021)

CW: 65.0-70lbs (trying to gain/ maintain)  // bmi ~12.0 but who cares 

we all die u either kill urself or get killed

🕸️🍬👻

accountability(recent)

#527 Leli

Leli

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:59 AM

I usually get chocolate cravings during calorie restriction. What helps me not to binge on chocolate is to incorporate small amounts to my meals. For example i add a little bit of cocoa powder to my coffee or chocolate shavings to my oat meal. I can have what i want but in small amounts so the craving goes away. This also works with other things. 

• ChefGumi and Lesfillesmortes like this

#528 NotSkinnyWannaB

NotSkinnyWannaB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:05 PM

Chew mint gum or brush your teeth with mint toothpaste.
Remember that time you went to drink orange juice after you brushed your teeth? Ya. Works with food too. Just something I've found helps me.

Writing this one down! Thank youu
🖤NotSkinny🖤

#529 Vega04

Vega04

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 12:58 PM

Chew mint gum or brush your teeth with mint toothpaste.
Remember that time you went to drink orange juice after you brushed your teeth? Ya. Works with food too. Just something I've found helps me.

Oh my, yeah. This definitely works - at least for me! I used to do this everytime, and mint helps me forget about food anyway. 

:ph34r:

#530 secretsister

secretsister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 06:52 PM

Watch a surgery video. Ew.

Message me to become accountability buddies!

#531 RinaBeth18

RinaBeth18

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 09:11 PM

I hate to be that person who persuades people to go on medication because I know it’s not for everyone, but I’ve been a binge eater forever and I got away with being prescribed a ton of meds where the side effects are appetite suppression. So currently I’m taking Wellbutrin 150 mg XL, Topamax 100 mg at night and 50 mg in the day, Cymbalta 20 mg (I got this from a different prescriber than the other two who doesn’t know I’m already on an anti depressant) and Vyvanse 40 mg (again another prescriber), then the medical weight loss clinic prescribed me phentermine 37.5 temporarily. Now, I also got prescribed other medications with side effects that do cause weight gain but I don’t take those....so how I ended up getting prescribed all this is because I got some from my primary care doc, some from a psych, one from OBGYN (I know weird), and again from the medical weight loss clinic.

#532 Lesfillesmortes

Lesfillesmortes

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted Today, 06:55 AM

- Have a salty breakfast. 
- Cut my lunch in half. I make large portions. I eat until I'm not hungry anymore and then two or three hours later I eat the rest. 
- Reduce sugar as much as possible without eliminating it completely. 

Current weight: 77kg. 
Current goal: 60kg.

Ultimate goal : 49kg. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users