My hip and my sinuses... - Illness or Injury - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

My hip and my sinuses...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NeverJustRight_*

Guest_NeverJustRight_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

A few months ago, I was doing running cartwheels in my yard. I must have torn something because I have not had full range of motion since. I haven't seen a doctor yet because I'm getting ready to make some changes in my insurance policy, but it has really hampered my activity level...pretty depressing because I love to work out and run! I've been doing what I can in the meantime. Another issue I have is my sinuses. I woke up November 1 with a sore throat that developed into a sinus infection that I had for over three months. I took one round of antibiotics and felt better for 2-3 days. Then it came back. I saw the doctor, got a stronger batch of antibiotics and some steroid nasal spray. I got a little over a month's relief from that, and now it's back. Again. The constant nose-blowing, the stringy yellow snot, not being able to breathe at night, and needless to say yet ANOTHER cause of workout difficulties. I'm so damn tired of this sh*t! Anyone else in Texas suffering from severe sinus distress???

#2 lydia

lydia

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts
  • LocationMidwest of USA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Aaaww, that would drive me crazy too. Just hang in there. It will pass. Maybe do some arm exercises with light weights. Even if you're not breathing heavy, etc, you'll still be burning calories and letting your hip heal. Hope it gets better!

STATS/JOURNAL:
height 5'8" diagnosed EDNOS, depression/anxiety, alcoholic/addict, history of self harm
SW 148 lbs (mid-Oct, 2012)
1st GW 135 (reached early Jan, 2013)

2nd GW 125 (reached mid-June, 2013) 
Nov, 2013, 129 (had surgery, gained a little while recovering from that)
Jan, 2014, 126
April, 134.4 (went to rehab for substance abuse and gained there).
Dec, 137
Aug, 2015, 148 (totally lost control, back to sw from 2012)
End of 2015 thru beginning of 2016, hovered around 134-136 (lots of Zumba)
Mid-June 2016, 155 lbs, maybe more (drinking, depression)
NEW START:
Dec 2016, 135 lbs (so, 125 is my LW and GW, 155 is my HW)
X-mas 2016, 133 lbs
Jan first, 2017, 130.4
Jan 10th, 128.4
Feb 10th, 126.4
Feb 13th, 125.6 ALMOST THERE!
Feb 15th, 123.6 (happy dance)
March 6th, 121.4

March 17th 119.4

Dec 10, out of control. 155 lbs. This ends now! I will log in everyday to give and receive support.

Jan, 2018, not good. Highest weight ever. Was up to 170-180 lbs at one point. Was 160 when I weighed last night. Help!!!

June 2018, 160 lbs. STARTING OVER

Nov 2018, 138...it's about time!

July 2019, 140 and restricting. I can't believe I was 120 in spring of 2017. That gives me hope and motivates me!

Jan, 2020, 152. Began a serious keto diet on Jan 20th

July, 2020, 138. Keto failed for me, but cutting cals and working out has me back on track...this is the longest signature ever...

#3 Guest_NeverJustRight_*

Guest_NeverJustRight_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Thanks, lydia. It is frustrating, but I think the sinus thing will pass as soon as the weather stabilizes here (IF it ever does)! I was trained to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth when working out (controlled breathing is a huge part of my workouts), but some days I just can't because my nose is too stopped up! As for my hip, I've decided the pity party for one there is over. If there are some things I'm not able to do because of it (my Yoga and MMA workouts are affected) then I'll modify or find something else I CAN do! No more whining, no more excuses!!! I just went running for the first time since last summer a bit ago. I'm okay with my arms and upper back...it's what's below my boobs and above my knees that concerns me! :)

#4 NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

hi there - wait until the inflammation goes down inside the hip joint to get checked out.  you might need an MRI.  not to scare you, but I used to practice Muay Thai and a little MMA and I ended up tearing BOTH of my hip labrums and needing arthroscopic surgery on both.  I got through it and was running again 4 months later - but that truly sucked.  if you do have a tear, they don't heal on their own (no vascularity in ligaments) so get the surgery as soon as possible while you're healthy and in shape.  

as for the sinuses - I've been suffering for the last month at least!  same thing - can't breathe at night, lots of mucus production and sometimes I blow my nose so hard in the morning when I first wake up and it bleeds.  I find that a humidifier near the bed helps - you might also want to get this stuff called Simply Saline and irrigate your nose before bed.  

#5 Guest_NeverJustRight_*

Guest_NeverJustRight_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

I agree with you about my hip joint...there is little or no improvement and it's been at least four months since I injured it.  I'd LOVE to have it looked at, but unfortunately our insurance has a very high deductible and my son just had surgery, so it may be a while.  I'm still able to modify my workouts and get through them, so I think I'll be okay in the meantime.  Thanks for the input.  Hope your sinuses are better soon...it's been a long, tough winter!!! 

#6 dancingthrulife

dancingthrulife

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:12 AM

Insurance sucks right now! Having difficulties as well with getting things treated. Try biofreeze, wrapping it, epsom salt soak, etc. to help allieviate the pain so you can still be somewhat active. I tore my labrum eons ago and still have to dance with it so and these things helped.

Have you tried just a simple saline spray or neti pot for your sinuses? The saline spray helps me a ton with my seasonal winter allergies. I'm praying for the pollen to come so I won't have to worry about it anymore. Hope you can get some relief!

"I suck it up now so I won't have to suck it in later."

"You can feel sore tomorrow or you can feel sorry tomorrow... You choose."

"I want to be my own thinspo."

Stats

Height: 5'8"

31-23-35

BF%: 8.1%   BMI: 15.7

HW: ??? (Sorry, still can't admit it :( Too ashamed)

LW: 100 lbs.

1st UGW: 115 lbs. (Check!)

2nd UGW: 110 lbs. (Check!)

3rd UGW: 105 lbs. (Check!)

CW: 103 lbs.

#7 Guest_NeverJustRight_*

Guest_NeverJustRight_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:26 AM

Agreed about insurance! Fortunately, despite my injury, I'm still able to do quite a bit, even run some. I don't like the taste of the saline from the sprays running down my throat, but the neti pot might be a good option. The weather here should stabilize soon and that usually helps me, but if not, I'll try the pot! It's been a wicked winter here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users