Expressing Milk for Weight Loss? - Parents with ED - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Expressing Milk for Weight Loss?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AinokoAna

AinokoAna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

I'm not breastfeeding, but I was wondering if anyone purges calories this way? My doctor said you can burn like 400-600 calories breastfeeding a day (20 calories burned per 1 oz of milk produced).. and since us new moms can't workout until 6 weeks postpartum, I was wondering about everyone's opinion on this? Really curious to hear about it. 

Sorry if it's TMI..

My breasts are super sore so I only express a little to relieve the pain and I can't decide if I'm gonna let the milk dry up or express for a while until I can work out.  :huh: 

HEALTHY INSANITY COMPETITION

(7/1) CW: 164.50 

GW1: 160 - (Circle Lenses)
GW2: 150 - (Dye Hair)
GW3: 140 - (Shopping!)

UGW: 120

Height: 5'7"

#2 FIGHT4IT

FIGHT4IT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

I still breast feed my almost 8 month old and I'd be lying if this wasn't part of the reason why. Your milk can decrease if you starve yourself. I haven't had issues with it, but I didn't start for a while. The weight really does come off quickly at first. I love it!
  • AinokoAna and armythin like this

#3 AinokoAna

AinokoAna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

Sounds like heaven. I just bought a manual pump (I suck at using my hands), and it came with a measurement cup. I'm excited to try it out and see how it helps. :)

HEALTHY INSANITY COMPETITION

(7/1) CW: 164.50 

GW1: 160 - (Circle Lenses)
GW2: 150 - (Dye Hair)
GW3: 140 - (Shopping!)

UGW: 120

Height: 5'7"

#4 Mïś§ Ůşěď

Mïś§ Ůşěď

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 3170 posts
  • LocationNorth DaSnowta

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Breastfeeding was probably the main reason I lost al 60lbs I gained in pregnancy during my first 9 months post part.... the burning of calories was a big reason I chose to Breastfeeding.
And then the downward spiral began
I knew it was real
Because I could not unthink it
I could not stand still to make it stop

#5 Mummyflubber

Mummyflubber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

I'm EBF and so far weight loss is going okay, but not magically fast or anything. Still, it can't hurt. And if you can produce a decent amount of milk you can donate it to your local neonatal intensive care unit (or maybe in your case to the adoptive family of your daughter).
CW: 133 lb.
HW: 178 lb. (pregnant)
LW: 88 lb.

GW: 107 lb.
UGW: 97 lb.
26 pounds to lose.

#6 1950s girl

1950s girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Locationscotland

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

im still breast feeding n lost all my baby fat my baby is s year old n still feeding she has fresh fish n veg great diet. i kerp feeding her coz im loseing more wieght im worried if i stop ill get fat or it means she dsnt need me anymore so whats left to keep me on this fucked up world

#7 determinedmiss

determinedmiss

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

Well im not gonna lie..... i EBF for 4 then 6 months with my 2 and it def DID NOT work for me.......  I was like a starving hungry animal craving stodgy food all the time.  Weight came off me when I stopped xx

• Uter Zörker likes this

HW: 156lbs
CW: 118lbs
GW 1: 120lbs
GW 2: 115lbs
GW 3: 110lbs

UGW: 100lbs

#8 fatcat

fatcat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

It worked for me! I breastfed my kids a year each and easily lost weight that way. But I also walked at least 2 hours a day while on maternity leave. I didnt eat very much either as I had lost my appetite (after my second). I have been gaining weight since I stopped breastfeeding, but I also walk a lot less (went back to work  ) and I am always hungry, so it is harder to control what I take in...

HW: 148 (pregnant)

LW: 100 (last year)

CW: 121  :(
GW1: 115

GW2: 110

GW3: 105

UG: 99

height: 5'5

#9 fatcat

fatcat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

Also, I forgot to say, I had to stop breastfeeding because I wasnt producing anymore milk, maybe because I wasnt eating enough...so be careful to properly nourish yourself while breastfeeding!!

HW: 148 (pregnant)

LW: 100 (last year)

CW: 121  :(
GW1: 115

GW2: 110

GW3: 105

UG: 99

height: 5'5

#10 scarhen1124

scarhen1124

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationArizona.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

I pumped for a while because my daughter had latching problems. I kept it up as long as I could for the purpose of weight loss. I lost 15lbs my first week out of the hospital, and I am fairly certain BF is why. I hated it, though, and found that it made me ravenous, and it was simply too much work to pump every two hours. I had a stubborn 5lbs I wanted to lose to get back to 100, and interestingly enough it came off within a week of quitting pumping, which I've heard is a common thing. Kudos to you moms who can keep it up...it is so good for baby.

5'4"---- HW: 125 (pregnant) LW: 91lbs CW: 90lbs GW1: 90  GW2: 88 UGW: 0...----

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users