Weird things that taught you how to lose weight - Page 9 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Weird things that taught you how to lose weight

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#161 daintyangelxo

daintyangelxo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationfairytale

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:35 PM

I was at an English Festival at a local college with some of my 8th grade class and Laurie Halse Anderson was speaking (my all time favorite author), and Wintergirls had just come out and was available but I didn't know what it was about so I just bought it. I was so entranced by it that I finished it on the long car ride home. I had already major disordered eating but it was mainly binge eating and that book was how I learned to restrict.

#162 Misguidedghost13

Misguidedghost13

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 05:35 PM

Googling how to lose weight. I was doing blogalites for a while and then stumbled on ED YouTube… went downhill from there lol

faf9352143ce7ce5b2f075921f0e346e.gif
SW: 172
CW: 112.0 (9.4.16)

LW: 106.6
GW: 95

#163 dolliethin

dolliethin

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Locationearth, sadly

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:30 PM

In high-school we went on a beach trip and I took a picture with one of my friends and realized how fat I was. That night I googled weight loss and that's pretty much me. 

"to be pretty is to be skinny" 

[5'6"/168cm]

[hw: 86 kg]

[ugw: 45 kg]

original.gif

#164 Madi_444

Madi_444

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:50 PM

I remember so vividly when i was 12, i had signed up via email for all those fitness plans that were all shit, and one talked about how stupid the ‘pro-ana’ lifestyle was. I didn’t know exactly what they were talking about, but one google search later, i stumbled here and i don’t plan on ever recovering (been there, tried that). I think that is what set off my ED (of course i was fat shamed all my life and didn’t have a positive relationship with food, but this is when i started to actively starve myself)

#165 AlienThinspired

AlienThinspired

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts
  • Locationbrisbane australia

Posted 13 October 2021 - 09:02 PM

my first admission to hospital, i learned what not to do, also watching others . Also when i was admitted i really found out how devious and sneeky and creative my disorder makes me cause of being on my own at home i never had to fool myself haha... in the ward i had to learn to fool the nurses. then i realised that was not helpful in a hospital because it takes longer to get out! so i put the damn weight on and got discharged , now im back to where i was if not more but much wiser on how to stay medically safer ... i wonder if the docs know that shoving people in hospital can teach EDs a better way to exist at low weights rather then force a cure. 

#166 vincentvangoghaway

vincentvangoghaway

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:23 PM

I always hated my body in elementary school, but never really did anything. I remember not eating sometimes so I would have a flat stomach, but that's about it. I was very smart as kid, and eventually read Drinking: A Love Story. I loved the book, and began to search for more of the author's works. Little did I know that another book she had wrote was about her terrible eating disorder (the book is called What Women Want). That's how I found the eating disorder section in the library. I read everything I could find, and was shocked and fascinated. I began reading online about calories, laxatives, and ED behaviors of all kinds. I was probably 10 when I decided I wanted to be a therapist specializing in EDs. But my unhappiness with my body, I began using the techniques I had read about on myself. The summer before 6th grade was when I got a phone, and a new and private world of thinspo and pro-Ana became available. By the time 6th grade ended, I had spent a month and a half of my life eating 400 calories or less and doing "1000" calorie workouts twice a day because I knew that they probably only burned 500 or 250. I was 67 pounds and 15 pounds underweight. My mom barely noticed because I wore sweatshirts and sweatpants all the time, and I because had had such a big muscle mass to begin with that my legs were still shaped pretty normally. Over that summer, I gained it back and grew. But I hated it, so I started using laxatives and puking. I was 12. Now I'm in high school, and I'm never happy with my weight. I don't even know what to do anymore.

Are you perhaps talking about her book called 'Appetites' where she discusses Freud's question: "What do women want?" ?

This account maybe new, but I ain't

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users