the gratitude thread - Age 30+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

the gratitude thread

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 rainbow brite

rainbow brite

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4827 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:51 AM

I thought it would be a nice idea to start a thread to acknowledge the things we are grateful for.  It can be for anything, the animals in our lives, people, meaningful interactions, random acts of kindness, things in nature, the weather, politics, small things/moments, anything really.  I find it helps me a lot, when I'm at my darkest place to reflect on the things I am grateful for.  Its these small things that help me keep going and give purpose/meaning to life when there otherwise is none.

Right now I am grateful for the people here, and all the support and kind words I've received through my darkest moments.  I'm grateful for having a safe place to open up and share our struggles and talk about things that can't be spoken about anywhere else without fear of judgement.  It is remarkable that this level of caring/support exists, we are just faceless people behind a screen, but it is so much more than that to me.

• Kiwka, Kiddy, Myrmica and 2 others like this

#2 Kiddy

Kiddy

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3538 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in wonderland

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:00 AM

I was thinking about something similar since a coworker of mine had a nice gesture towards me the other night: he saw me walking after work almost at midnight (it was kinda cool, the fog was getting quite thick, looked like a horror movie scenario :P ) so he went to his house to get an extra helmet and returned to pick. me up and gave me a ride home. Sometimes people is quite nice to me even when I'm such a bitch most of the time.
So I'm grateful for that kind of moments when life proves me that there are actually nice and caring people out there
  • rainbow brite and precariousbalance like this

"I'm tired of feeling like I'm fucking crazy
I'm tired of driving 'til I see stars in my eyes
It's all I've got to keep myself sane, baby
So I just ride, I just ride"

"Stuck between the do or die, I feel emaciated

Hard to breathe I try and try, I'll get asphyxiated
                                                          Swinging from the tallest height, with nothing left to hold on to

Every sky is blue, but not for me and you"

#3 .willow.

.willow.

Omniscient

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • LocationA Reality Marble

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:50 PM

Stupid really, but I'm thankful for my cats. If I'm having a "can't get out of bed day" they just curl up next to me and purr their little hearts out.

• Luci(fer), Kiddy, rainbow brite and 3 others like this

"But it was my integrity that was important. Is that so selfish? It sells for so little, but it's all we have left in this place. It is the very last inch of us... but within that inch we are free."

#4 rainbow brite

rainbow brite

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4827 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:09 PM

Stupid really, but I'm thankful for my cats. If I'm having a "can't get out of bed day" they just curl up next to me and purr their little hearts out.

Not stupid at all.  Our animals gives us so much to be grateful for!

• AllByMeOnsies and precariousbalance like this

#5 rainbow brite

rainbow brite

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4827 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:49 PM

I'm grateful for my cat too.  Not that I'm not grateful for my dogs (and I really truly am), but no matter how sad and fucked I am, she's always there, especially when I'm at my worst.  She just sits with me and purrs no matter what.  I'm also grateful for her naughtiness, when I'm immobilized and unable to move or do anything, she'll do obnoxious things like knock over the water bowl, pull food down from the counter, look for things to chew on, run around like crazy and knocking things over, steal objects out of my bag, do things which are highly annoying (but too cute to be annoyed with) that require my attention, and force me to snap out of that state temporarily.

• .willow., boredthin, precariousbalance and 1 other like this

#6 Kiddy

Kiddy

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3538 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in wonderland

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:09 PM

I'm grateful for waking up every day
Sounds cliché I know
But somehow I like the idea of having some time ahead of me to try to do things right
I always screw it all up at the end though

"I'm tired of feeling like I'm fucking crazy
I'm tired of driving 'til I see stars in my eyes
It's all I've got to keep myself sane, baby
So I just ride, I just ride"

"Stuck between the do or die, I feel emaciated

Hard to breathe I try and try, I'll get asphyxiated
                                                          Swinging from the tallest height, with nothing left to hold on to

Every sky is blue, but not for me and you"

#7 rainbow brite

rainbow brite

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4827 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:31 PM

I'm grateful for waking up every day
Sounds cliché I know
But somehow I like the idea of having some time ahead of me to try to do things right
I always screw it all up at the end though

I know that feeling well. I go to bed, hating myself and wishing I would just die, but feel grateful upon awakening for having a chance to "start over", even if that means messing up again... but there is always a small bit of hope in those very early hours when nothing has happened yet, and I try to hold on to that for as long as I can.

• Marleymoo likes this

#8 rainbow brite

rainbow brite

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4827 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:49 PM

I am so grateful for my half sister, from my dad's first marriage.. we've rarely been in touch except lately, through my dad's illness and death.  Although she has been distant most of my life, and lives far away, she is the only family member I can talk to openly/honestly, and who validates my experience and life difficulties in a way my other sisters don't. She is open to understanding my ED and other mental health issues, which are a major source of shame/stigmatization among the rest of my family.  She is really helping me through this time to let go of the guilt and self blame for things that happened in the past.

• .willow., Kiddy and precariousbalance like this

#9 bella_lugosi

bella_lugosi

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:28 PM

I'm always so grateful for my fiancé. His aim is to keep me secure for the rest of my life. I don't plan to throw that away, so it keeps me from going completely off the rails. I love him.
  • .willow., Boy w/the dragon tattoo, rainbow brite and 2 others like this

34667684.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

SW 202

CGW 190 - Replace Pandora clasps

CGW 180 - Conch piercing

CGW 174 - BMI<30

CGW 170 - New Pandora bead

CGW 160 - 50s dress

CGW - 150 - Garter belt

CGW - 145 - BMI<25 - Second nose piercing

CGW 140 - Something small

130 -

120 -

116 - BMI<20

110 -

UGW 100 - Navel piercing

Heh. I'm not doing very well with rewarding myself!
~KEEP THE FAITH~

#10 rainbow brite

rainbow brite

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4827 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:12 PM

I am grateful that my dogs still love me unconditionally, despite the times I am almost catatonic in my depression, unable to get up off the couch, unable to get dressed and go outside and walk them properly, or give them the love and attention they deserve.  But they are always there waiting for me to come out my dark moods, and are always forgiving, despite how shitty and inattentive I am when I'm at my lowest.  When I need a cuddle, they are there. I don't deserve their love.  But they love me anyway.

• Kiwka, GiveNoFox, precariousbalance and 1 other like this

#11 AllByMeOnsies

AllByMeOnsies

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1330 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:51 AM

My dog. She's saved me more than once (: And my truck.

And sidewalk salt. Its supremely underrated.
  • GiveNoFox, rainbow brite, IJustWannaFly and 2 others like this

"There is a rumbly in my tumbly." ~Winnie the Pooh

#12 rainbow brite

rainbow brite

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4827 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:13 PM

I'm actually thankful that my period showed up after skipping a month.  I hate it, it takes the life out of me and makes me miserable and weak, but it's a relief.  Especially after being diagnosed with osteopenia recently.

• precariousbalance likes this

#13 .willow.

.willow.

Omniscient

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • LocationA Reality Marble

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:41 AM

You guys, I'm REALLY grateful for animals.

My cat's sitting in my lap purring his head off and it's so relaxing after my stressful night at work.

And then I was so stressed out to be going to work for all the interpersonal/social bullshit reasons I hate being around people and I hate that I was made a supervisor without my consent, but my (one) doggie patient was awesome and made it so worthwhile to fight all night to keep him alive. It was a huge struggle and all I did all night was give him meds, run diagnostics, and basically sit at his kennel hoping he kept breathing, AND HE DID. All of us were completely prepared to do CPR because we didn't think he was going to make it. AND HE DID. We transferred him to his regular vet this morning and I really hope he makes a full recovery. He was a really cool husky.

• boredthin, rainbow brite and precariousbalance like this

"But it was my integrity that was important. Is that so selfish? It sells for so little, but it's all we have left in this place. It is the very last inch of us... but within that inch we are free."

#14 Guest_EnchantedForest_*

Guest_EnchantedForest_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:51 AM

#15 snowspider

snowspider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:32 PM

I'm grateful for my lovely little flat... for my friend's dog that I took for a walk today... for the birds that sang in the hedges. I'm grateful for a day that didn't start with darkness, confusion and pain.

I'm grateful for quiet and for the bright sun. I'm grateful for cups of tea and moments of peace.

I'm grateful to be able to walk and run. For the food I was able to eat today. For words, for music, for solitude.

For the safety of my home. It's warmth and privacy.

I'm grateful for the few people I can relate to... and who can relate to me.

• boredthin, rainbow brite, precariousbalance and 1 other like this

(in recovery)

“The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good.

They must always be answered by the quiet, the steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going” -Graeme Fife

#16 cope

cope

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 2156 posts
  • LocationEngland,

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:51 PM

I couldn't face this when originally posted but I'm here now. I'm grateful for my patient husband, who doesn't understand but cares. For my cat who really does love me back. For music and more than that singing. For having a faith. For hot showers and baths. And red wine.
I'm grateful the universe has kittens. A never ending supply of them.
  • rainbow brite, precariousbalance and Tangerine33 like this

Things are getting worse, but I feel a lot better, And that's all that really matters to me ~ Counting Crows

You never had a camera in my head ~ Truman show

#17 rainbow brite

rainbow brite

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4827 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:49 AM

I couldn't face this when originally posted but I'm here now. I'm grateful for my patient husband, who doesn't understand but cares. For my cat who really does love me back. For music and more than that singing. For having a faith. For hot showers and baths. And red wine.
I'm grateful the universe has kittens. A never ending supply of them.

What kind of sad world would it be without kittens (and all cute cuddly animals)?

• cope and precariousbalance like this

#18 rainbow brite

rainbow brite

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4827 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:07 AM

I'm grateful for my therapist.  She never gives up on me.  And she's passionate and good at what she does, and seems to genuinely care.

• precariousbalance and BethChilds like this

#19 Myrmica

Myrmica

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationThe other side of the Wall

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:30 AM

I'm grateful for my horse.

These days she is my best friend, my therapist and my distraction from everything that is shitty in my life.

When I am with her, I can forget everything else. Training her is something I'm actually good at, and it gives me an enormous sense of accomplishment. And she never judges or criticizes me.  

#20 bella_lugosi

bella_lugosi

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1481 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:47 AM

I'm grateful for you guys. You're here to hear the things I can't say anywhere else.
  • Myrmica, snowspider, Tangerine33 and 1 other like this

34667684.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

SW 202

CGW 190 - Replace Pandora clasps

CGW 180 - Conch piercing

CGW 174 - BMI<30

CGW 170 - New Pandora bead

CGW 160 - 50s dress

CGW - 150 - Garter belt

CGW - 145 - BMI<25 - Second nose piercing

CGW 140 - Something small

130 -

120 -

116 - BMI<20

110 -

UGW 100 - Navel piercing

Heh. I'm not doing very well with rewarding myself!
~KEEP THE FAITH~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users