Can we get rid of this forum? - Page 2 - Muscle Dysmorphia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Can we get rid of this forum?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 Makeup & Bikes

Makeup & Bikes

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:07 AM

It attracted me.

Not sure why anyone would want to get rid of it though, while there are SOOO many off topic and retarded sections of this site, deleting one that covers an actual illness would be foolish to me.

Well if it's there for one person then it absolutely should stay. You're right, there is a lot of totally stupid sections on this site.

• TrapCeritops and That Dude like this

HEIGHT: 5'0" | 152cm 

HW: 88lb | 40.0kg (BMI: 17.3)

CW: 80lb | 36.2kg (BMI: 16.1)

LW: 62lb | 28kg (BMI: 12.1)

GW: 73lb | 33kg (BMI: 14.2)

MEASUREMENTS: 30-22-32

#22 LunaxFaex

LunaxFaex

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1621 posts
  • Locationengland

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:25 AM

Am I the only one who was around for the whole Alpha Omega thing?  I thought it was obvious, but I guess other people weren't here for that whole debacle.  I guess nvm, but I still dislike this board on principle.

(No, I'm not gonna explain it to you, because you're being condescending.)

to be fair he did cause a LOT of drama.

• Moon Gum likes this

5'8
Accountability

https://www.myproana...-and-back-down/

Http://www.instagram.com/lunaxfaex

Body Checks 124 lbs to 105 lbs:

Spoiler

Spoiler
phuzccfb402qbwe.gif

#23 Princess Unattainabelle

Princess Unattainabelle

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2513 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:46 AM

I think it should either be gone, or we should add a sub-forum for BDD. MD isn't an eating disorder, it's a type of BDD, and if there's a sub for one of them, there should be one for the other too.

tumblr_inline_n2pgy6cxAo1rpglid.gif

gallery_48721_45290_927740.gif

gallery_48721_45290_93169.jpg

The Hunger

Spoiler

tumblr_inline_n2pgy6cxAo1rpglid.gif

#24 Guest_chiffonhighsociety_*

Guest_chiffonhighsociety_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:13 AM

Soooo are you really a girl asking for a guys' forum to be taken down....wtf

• Cheekbones Please likes this

#25 TrapCeritops

TrapCeritops

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3432 posts
  • LocationCentral Valley, California

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:54 PM

Soooo are you really a girl asking for a guys' forum to be taken down....wtf

Shes triggering me! lets get her!

• Alohomora, That Dude, Dub16Times and 1 other like this

96 year old man preying on all you peeps with eating disorders, beware!!

NEW!! The Feather Girl Cleanse NEW!! 
Drop 7-12 lbs in one week!

Ana Coach to the stars!! 

#26 Guest_Determined user_*

Guest_Determined user_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:13 PM

Nope this is an actual illness so yes leave it alone.
  • Cheekbones Please likes this

#27 Guest_oetryikan_*

Guest_oetryikan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:13 PM

• TrapCeritops likes this

#28 MmmK

MmmK

Advanced Warrior

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • LocationSuicidal

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:19 PM

We should keep it

#29 misscarolina

misscarolina

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1702 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA, USA

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:46 PM

Not like it's hurting anyone by being here

#30 Cheekbones Please

Cheekbones Please

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:51 PM

Just because a forum doesn't attract much activity, does not mean it is invalid. If a website had a sub-forum for a rare disease that only 3 people in the world suffered from, does that make them less entitled to having a means of communication and expression? Also this website and anorexia nervosa mainly stems off of body dysmorphia, therefore I find it extremely relevant personally.

• Lloyd and Boltzmann like this

Don't be scared, I'm a guy, but I do have ana/rex.

Add me on Kik if you want: cheekbonesgoals

#31 bpdsoul

bpdsoul

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1777 posts
  • Locationhiding from every human on earth

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:38 PM

Why, though? MD is a legitimate disorder, despite the stigma and general "wat do" fiasco that often comes attached to it. There are plenty of dead forums on here, but that's no reason to gt rid of one. This is an ED site, so a forum about a specific eating disorder is totally necessary. Deleting it would be like saying that people suffering with MD aren't welcome on MPA which is so not true. 

If you don't like the forum, don't go on it. Like, I dislike the South Beach Diet forum, so I just simply don't go in there. 

I agree with this.

sick to death of my dependence, fighting food to find transcendence. fighting to survive, more dead but more alive.
'You have to love something or someone more than you hate yourself'

Nearing 9 years with BPD and the illnesses/problems that 'came with it' and 7 years with an eating disorder and SH
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/bpdsoul

#32 Guest_Simply_Someone_*

Guest_Simply_Someone_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:59 AM

[...] we should add a sub-forum for BDD. MD isn't an eating disorder, it's a type of BDD, and if there's a sub for one of them, there should be one for the other too.

I like this idea. Like I totally agree with everyone arguing that it should exist and it's important to have but given what other people are saying about how it's been used perhaps putting it with or in the same forum as BDD would be more valuable and useful (also I'm a lot like moonlight_mania in that I too like tidying and purging things so maybe I'm just externalizing/projecting that tendency into trying to make a more organized site idk ymmv).  

Sidenote: rofl not gonna lie for the longest time I thought MD stood for Muscular dystrophy and was very confused what a forum on that was doing on an ED site)

• AmaliaAlexander likes this

#33 Moon Gum

Moon Gum

The Walking Contradiction

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14191 posts
  • LocationBetween a pillow and a comfy place.

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:13 AM

to be fair he did cause a LOT of drama.

And that's what it'll be remembered for. It's as if... once you create the link in your head it stays forever.

Not saying it should be removed / should stay because I personally don't give much crap either way, but well if it stays it'll be remembered for much more than it's worth.

1995. walking contradiction.

Talk about maths!

See my accountability!

See my twitter!

Ask me anything!

See my art!

POLITICS!

I am just you, in a parallel existence..

IxuAj7El.jpg

We're like birds in random flight, chaotic yet beautiful, noisy yet peaceful. One day we collide - but we don't crash, and somehow end up melding into something even better?

#34 that bitch.

that bitch.

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:36 AM

there could be anon users who prefer to stay anon getting help from this forum I think we keep it, you don't know who would miss it just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bothering you. Just don't open it. I just think we should recognise every ED and mental illness so nobody feels left out or alone.

#35 Guest_twilightzone_*

Guest_twilightzone_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:23 PM

I can't believe somebody actually had the nerve to make this thread, tbh.

• Granmamma and Boltzmann like this

#36 Sabrina62

Sabrina62

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington, United States of America

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:39 PM

Guys.

Guys.

So muscle dysmorphia is obvs a real and serious illness, but can we get rid of this now?

Nobody uses this forum.  Am I wrong?  This is an ED/mental illness site, yes, and this is a legitimate mental illness, but I'm not sure this is doing anyone any good by being here?  It's just kind of sitting here, the Legacy of Alpha Omega, ancient and dusty and useless, like an appendix?  The world has moved on?

I honest-to-god wouldn't mention this if it looked like this board was even a little active, but now it kind of bothers me, just being here.  Because it's like a serious issue and it being here is kind of a joke.

Yes, this is an ED site, but it's a very specialized ED site, and I think that unless we get an influx of members suffering from this, it's not doing anyone any good.

This has been a formal request.

I am going to explain why muscle dysmorphia is a relevant forum that should remain on this site.

First: women and men in the bodybuilding industry are just as obsessed with their bodies as people who suffer from anorexia, bulimia or EDNOS (eating disorders not otherwise specified). I for example, have been obsessed with gaining muscle in the right places for the past four years. This means going to they guy, lifting heavy, watching hundreds of weight lifting videos and taking very gentle, female friendly steroid cycles. For me, and a lot of other women like me, we believe that having a sexy body also means having a toned ass, six pack abs, and strong back. It does not mean we want to look like Conan the Barbarian, it means that a good body is earned. One cannot wake up one day with a nice body, we have to work our asses off for it. 

Second: having a strong, sexy body requires bulking and cutting. Cutting is the hardest stage, and often times that is when EDNOS comes into play. 

Watch this Youtube video about how our food is prepared two/three times per week.

Doing this takes a tremendous amount of discipline. Many of these women, expected to go to restaurants with their boyfriends end up in the bathroom purging their meal. How about a trip to the ice cream store? You think they can indulge on a 200 calorie ice cream when cutting? They cant - so they purge it. 

To say that the bodybuilding world does not experience it's own for of EDNOS is like saying obese people also don't suffer from eating disorders. 

My final theory, is that most people suffering from eating disorders are women. Those who suffer from muscle dysmorphia or (biggerexia) tend to be men. Putting on muscle, for women and men requires putting on fat, and then cutting that fat every year. The cutting process is the hardest thing for them to do. So, I have to wonder if what motivates your post, is really a belief that this entire website should be only for women and men don't belong. 

• Bananasaurus, Nikol. and Married to the Dark like this

10427-hugh-laurie-house-quotes.jpg

#37 Moby Jane

Moby Jane

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationTraveling the world

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:08 AM

And that's what it'll be remembered for. It's as if... once you create the link in your head it stays forever.

Not saying it should be removed / should stay because I personally don't give much crap either way, but well if it stays it'll be remembered for much more than it's worth.

Yes but new people will come along in time who don't remember the drama or mentally associate it with that, and they might really benefit from this being here. It might never be a lot of people, but even if it only has the potential to help a few at least it has the potential to help. 

• Boltzmann and The Beau of Artemis like this

5'6

CW: 133 (dammit...)

GW1: 125

GW2: 120

GW3: 115

Ultimate goal: Dancer's body

#38 Moon Gum

Moon Gum

The Walking Contradiction

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14191 posts
  • LocationBetween a pillow and a comfy place.

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:11 AM

Yes but new people will come along in time who don't remember the drama or mentally associate it with that, and they might really benefit from this being here. It might never be a lot of people, but even if it only has the potential to help a few at least it has the potential to help. 

We... shall see

Memes die out more often than we'd like.

1995. walking contradiction.

Talk about maths!

See my accountability!

See my twitter!

Ask me anything!

See my art!

POLITICS!

I am just you, in a parallel existence..

IxuAj7El.jpg

We're like birds in random flight, chaotic yet beautiful, noisy yet peaceful. One day we collide - but we don't crash, and somehow end up melding into something even better?

#39 Guest_Autumn Rayne_*

Guest_Autumn Rayne_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2016 - 11:28 AM

I think it should stay because it's a diagnose-able psychological disorder. Even if it doesn't affect you or most people on this site, it should be left for those who do have it. It's primarily a disorder associated with men and I think it's unfair to take that from them.

#40 crewserved

crewserved

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:23 AM

I Joined MPA to continue recovering from hypergymnasia, and to head off my growing case of muscle dysmorphia. I would like to see this corner of MPA left alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users