Can we get rid of this forum? - Page 4 - Muscle Dysmorphia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Can we get rid of this forum?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 C/S-Queen

C/S-Queen

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Locationbed or kitchen probably

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:43 AM

We have tons of forums we could get rid of tbh.

Rumination Disorder, Pica Disorder and Muscle Dysmorphia are just dead. The topics are all white because it's been so long since the last reply.

People don't really use Other recognized eating disorders because they put everything in General/Anorexia/EDNOS anyway.

Meetups and Looking for friends might as well just be in one section merged together.

Commerical diets is bullshit. Who even uses WeightWatchers or The Atkins diet? We could move The South Beach Diet to member diets or something for the pro anas.

And the worst of all - New Forum Request. We have so many useless forums, why tf you need a special forum for pear shaped people or atypical anorexia (just put it into the anorexia sub ffs)???

• Persephony and Bump&Grind like this

1448240283-a28bf76005d8f1dd48c83e8fa08b8

#62 Guest_Vanlerian_*

Guest_Vanlerian_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:10 PM

Yeah but it's not like it's really taking up space or anything. You know? It just sits there. If anyone needs it, they can use it :)

#63 sad_hamlet_with_a_knife

sad_hamlet_with_a_knife

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:11 AM

I disagree. I think people don't use it cus they see it hasn't been used, so they feel alone and stupid. I see so many people here posting "fitspo" clearly wanted to be more muscular and going to unhealthy lengths to do so. It just doesn't get posted here cus an empty thread is scary. I hope it stays open in case someone has enough courage to break the cycle and make people feel less alone.

I guess I just want my invisible jet. 

tumblr_n0ijpgCZnY1ry7xw9o1_500.gif

#64 sad_hamlet_with_a_knife

sad_hamlet_with_a_knife

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 915 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:12 AM

That said, I do get where you're coming from. Currently, it's just a troll haven.

#65 sad_hamlet_with_a_knife

sad_hamlet_with_a_knife

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 915 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:17 AM

How does the media force men to be muscular? Sure six-pack ads are everywhere and bikini models too, but forcing us? We can giggle to those ads... the "ideals" some have for us. Can we not choose not to be manipulated? I believe we can. Sure there is healthy and if you find joy in exercise, power to you! But to put yourself through pain and hell to aspire to some picture of a bodybuilder (who is using (not all) drugs to look a certain way, puffed up, but raw strength), is it worth it? For what? A gold trophy? I admire couples that have that in common, but to look a certain way to be a walking idol... please, no.

No. We can't choose not to be manipulated. That's not how manipulation works. That's not how mental illnesses work. That's not how any of this works.
We are ALL influenced by media, whether we want to admit it or not. You can make an effort to lessen the harmful effects, but that may not even work, especially of you're mentally ill.

But you know what? Why am I even arguing the point. You're clearly just rosary back from the fucking dead again. So who gives a shit.
  • OfficialMelaniaTrump and spideyman like this

#66 TeaTree33434

TeaTree33434

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:02 PM

People suffer from it and even if the forum gets used only once every 2 months at least it is there for the people that need it. The media is always telling guys that they should have big muscles in order to be attractive. There are even female body builders as well.

OMG i never saw that video before. Thanks for posting. Made me smile.

#67 Lilrunner52

Lilrunner52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:49 PM

How does the media force men to be muscular? Sure six-pack ads are everywhere and bikini models too, but forcing us? We can giggle to those ads... the "ideals" some have for us. Can we not choose not to be manipulated? I believe we can.

Media studies grad student here, Media affects all even those who believe they aren't affected by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#68 (deadroses)

(deadroses)

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:05 PM

i think it should stay, even if people aren't using it, just in case.

#69 Minihana

Minihana

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9790 posts
  • Locationdancing on a hibachi

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

Guys.

Guys.

So muscle dysmorphia is obvs a real and serious illness, but can we get rid of this now?

Nobody uses this forum.  Am I wrong?  This is an ED/mental illness site, yes, and this is a legitimate mental illness, but I'm not sure this is doing anyone any good by being here?  It's just kind of sitting here, the Legacy of Alpha Omega, ancient and dusty and useless, like an appendix?  The world has moved on?

I honest-to-god wouldn't mention this if it looked like this board was even a little active, but now it kind of bothers me, just being here.  Because it's like a serious issue and it being here is kind of a joke.

Yes, this is an ED site, but it's a very specialized ED site, and I think that unless we get an influx of members suffering from this, it's not doing anyone any good.

This has been a formal request.

so many people are screaming for new forums, why not just assign it to a new one.  then they don't have to create a new one, if they even can.  (i would suppose they can or they wouldn't tell people it was okay to suggest.  hopefully. :lol:)

or just rename some of them.

Height: 5'5 1/2"

HW: 132 lb. (1974)

LW: 92 lb. (1975) 
CW: 108 lb. 

GW: 103 lb.

UGW: 103 lb.

#70 Struggle_2

Struggle_2

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:51 PM

Please don't, I have it pretty bad and just got here.. 

• brego58 likes this

Do whatever makes you happy

#71 Guest_kaleum_*

Guest_kaleum_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:49 PM

I get why you want to get rid of it. 

I for one - and maybe this is somehow related to my tendency to restrict food or maybe my restriction comes from this tendency - have what I like to call reverse hoarding: I compulsively "purge" my life of things that aren't used anymore or don't fit at the moment. Ironically I don't purge food that's been eaten. Real purging is only purging I don't do. However, I will clean out the cabinets and fridge a lot - I have the fridge of an ana girl even though I am not one. I "purge" my closet and belongings, donating what can be donated and tossing/recycling what can't. I "purged" diaries of bad/useless pages which is why they never lasted or end up really thin. I want to "purge" my blog or edit it of mistakes constantly and it's just a small rambling that's on this site and I JUST started it last month. I "purge" my facebook photos, albums and comments. I even "purge" files at work which has gotten me in indirect trouble. My coworkers blamed the system and my inexperience. I had to stop trying to organize and "clean" everything at least at work.

So, back on topic - I get why you'd want to purge this forum of this sub-forum even though keeping it doesn't directly affect you. It doesn't fit your image of MPA. It is unused and seems like a homage to a user that was a total douche-snozzle. I get irked just seeing sub-forums but not all of the sub-forums there could be. I get anxious thinking about all the threads that died and remain forever (typos and all) in MPA space. I hate things that aren't tied up nicely. I spent some time on AVEN (for asexuality awareness) but it turns out that sexuality is a spectrum. It is more liquid than people think and at the end of a long road, I'm not asexual just less sexual than average. I just can't accept it so I throw the whole thing out the window in my head. I'm heterosexual. That's all my anti-hoarder, clean edges mind can process and that's what makes me happy. Besides, in my case, it ended up being an issue of semantics. Now, I can't go on the forum anymore because I don't feel like I belong and truthfully I don't. They'd call me demi-sexual or grey-A by their definition. SO NOT WORTH EXPLAINING TO PEOPLE TO TAKE ON THAT LABEL. And truthfully, I'm not really ana or mia or EDNOS or am I? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! It changes. I change. People who say that people never really change are wrong. We change all the time. You are both constant and fluid: at worst an idea and at best a permanent soul that shall always exist - albeit with an unknowable level insignificance - as part of the whole of all time. Immortal but evolving with every breath, every thought, every passing moment changed both by your own will and the will of every being in the universe.

Okay, that wasn't really on topic. OP, I feel you. It would clean the clutter to delete the forum. But the other side has a better argument: inclusion and support in a cold harsh world where both society and self can make a person feel worthless. They win.

Edit: I got super existential crisis here and found what I want my signature to say. Thanks lol. 

Unrelated to OP's topic, but I 100% relate to this. It's frustrating and can get on other people's nerves as well as my own, but it's there. Even when my mind is on the future and the past all the time, my actions solely reflect the present, including eliminating nearly every material object that isn't relevant at that exact moment.

• Persephony likes this

#72 stillstarving09

stillstarving09

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

It's amazing to me how many requests for new forums there are and how on some of these requests there's a lot of community support behind them, yet we keep boards that are rarely used.  I don't think this forum needs to be removed but I'm just sayin

Stay safe, stay alive, thrive

~ SS09

ENTP

I post all day on MPA,

I’ll be here till my hair is gray,

I pray that I'm not here to stay,

but I can't find another way. 

#73 Caffiend.

Caffiend.

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:22 PM

I am going to explain why muscle dysmorphia is a relevant forum that should remain on this site.

First: women and men in the bodybuilding industry are just as obsessed with their bodies as people who suffer from anorexia, bulimia or EDNOS (eating disorders not otherwise specified). I for example, have been obsessed with gaining muscle in the right places for the past four years. This means going to they guy, lifting heavy, watching hundreds of weight lifting videos and taking very gentle, female friendly steroid cycles. For me, and a lot of other women like me, we believe that having a sexy body also means having a toned ass, six pack abs, and strong back. It does not mean we want to look like Conan the Barbarian, it means that a good body is earned. One cannot wake up one day with a nice body, we have to work our asses off for it. 

Second: having a strong, sexy body requires bulking and cutting. Cutting is the hardest stage, and often times that is when EDNOS comes into play. 

Watch this Youtube video about how our food is prepared two/three times per week.

Doing this takes a tremendous amount of discipline. Many of these women, expected to go to restaurants with their boyfriends end up in the bathroom purging their meal. How about a trip to the ice cream store? You think they can indulge on a 200 calorie ice cream when cutting? They cant - so they purge it. 

To say that the bodybuilding world does not experience it's own for of EDNOS is like saying obese people also don't suffer from eating disorders. 

My final theory, is that most people suffering from eating disorders are women. Those who suffer from muscle dysmorphia or (biggerexia) tend to be men. Putting on muscle, for women and men requires putting on fat, and then cutting that fat every year. The cutting process is the hardest thing for them to do. So, I have to wonder if what motivates your post, is really a belief that this entire website should be only for women and men don't belong. 

Yes exactly.

I've worked in a gym with a lot of competitors and prepped for two shows before having to drop out due to physical and mental health issues. I don't know about the guys but ALL the female competitors I met either had an ED prior to competition and used it as a front (making it "healthy" cause your cutting for a show) OR developed ED through their prep either by their own hand or by the encouragement of -mainly uneducated- coaches. Not very many of those women are still competing.

Personally, I found fitness in recovery from BDD + ED as a way to love my body, and prepping for a show with a bad coach sent me spiralling back into restriction/binge eating cycles and drug use.

My intake was 1000 calories, if that, and I prepped my food once a week just like this woman is doing...every. single. thing. was weighed and accounted for. Exercise? I performed a minimum of an hour fasted cardio every morning, 7 days a week. 6 evenings a week I did intense weights sessions followed up with more cardio. There are a lot of these types of shitty coaches out there and IMO, the way I was talked to by them was exactly how my ED brain talks to me. I've since had to put my gym membership on hold as a way to prevent obsessive exercising. MD is an issue and this forum is entirely relevant even if it's not currently active. 

• farmersteve and Twilight Zone like this

[28] [INFJ] [5'8] [HW: 197] [CW: 178.9] [GW: 150]

#74 Twilight Zone

Twilight Zone

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:58 AM

Please keep it. I just joined. I don’t know much about this disorder but there’s a possibility that I have it or some of its traits. I entertwine my eating disorder and twisted body image with obsession of muscularity. I wouldn’t say I want to be grossly huge but I was diagnosed as anorexic in my teens. I over came the starvation acts and associated acts of b/p, laxative abuse etc..with exercise obsession. It started with just cardio years and years ago and then I saw a book by a famous female bodybuilder and after that it’s been a huge preoccupation. I lift weights primarily now. In fact, I’m recovering from a back injury related to over lifting not just Gym related but lifting things at home that are used to cover the exercise. Like I will move things way too heavy because people complain about time at the gym so if I look like I’m just doing heavy work at home it appears as just regular house work stuff. I lifted my front load washer to put anti vibration pads underneath it, move way too many large house plants etc. I’m obsessed with muscles. I like feeling sore the next day because I know I’ve done a good job at the gym. I love to see detailed muscle definition and that’s my primary goal. I use a lot of supplements too. I want to get more muscular and I’m obsessed with that body image of myself. I have weird eating patterns that I leverage to help from gaining fat and the feared unwanted weight. I will spend hours at the gym lifting if I can. I over do it too. If I didn’t have a family that complained about the time I spend at the gym I’d probably live there. I kinda have this weird mixture. I’m overweight now because I had to have some surgeries from injuries related to falls from epilepsy and I am currently in panic mode because I can’t lift to help transform my body. It’s my main goal. I still want to be thin but also highly muscular. I’m trying to learn more about this. I don’t use steroids but I take a lot of supplements to support my goals. I fast, will b/p if I eat things off the list. I live in gym clothes, lol. Input is welcome.

• Guests

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:35 PM

I just found this forum and it's exactly what I need. I'm glad it is still here.
  • Seedy Chia likes this

• Guests

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

Please keep it. I just joined. I don’t know much about this disorder but there’s a possibility that I have it or some of its traits. I entertwine my eating disorder and twisted body image with obsession of muscularity. I wouldn’t say I want to be grossly huge but I was diagnosed as anorexic in my teens. I over came the starvation acts and associated acts of b/p, laxative abuse etc..with exercise obsession. It started with just cardio years and years ago and then I saw a book by a famous female bodybuilder and after that it’s been a huge preoccupation. I lift weights primarily now. In fact, I’m recovering from a back injury related to over lifting not just Gym related but lifting things at home that are used to cover the exercise. Like I will move things way too heavy because people complain about time at the gym so if I look like I’m just doing heavy work at home it appears as just regular house work stuff. I lifted my front load washer to put anti vibration pads underneath it, move way too many large house plants etc. I’m obsessed with muscles. I like feeling sore the next day because I know I’ve done a good job at the gym. I love to see detailed muscle definition and that’s my primary goal. I use a lot of supplements too. I want to get more muscular and I’m obsessed with that body image of myself. I have weird eating patterns that I leverage to help from gaining fat and the feared unwanted weight. I will spend hours at the gym lifting if I can. I over do it too. If I didn’t have a family that complained about the time I spend at the gym I’d probably live there. I kinda have this weird mixture. I’m overweight now because I had to have some surgeries from injuries related to falls from epilepsy and I am currently in panic mode because I can’t lift to help transform my body. It’s my main goal. I still want to be thin but also highly muscular. I’m trying to learn more about this. I don’t use steroids but I take a lot of supplements to support my goals. I fast, will b/p if I eat things off the list. I live in gym clothes, lol. Input is welcome.

I want to be friends with you. I never meet anyone else with an ed who appreciates muscles. Do you have kik?

#77 gonei

gonei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:39 PM

Am I the only one who was around for the whole Alpha Omega thing? I thought it was obvious, but I guess other people weren't here for that whole debacle. I guess nvm, but I still dislike this board on principle.

(No, I'm not gonna explain it to you, because you're being condescending.)

What’s the Alpha Omega thing???

New goal, be a happy, healthy 119lbs and stay there!

#78 PinkishKitten

PinkishKitten

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1037 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:27 PM

We should keep it, MD is a disorder and getting rid of it would make no sense even if it isn't really used a lot. :/

5’3 CW:120 HW:145 LW:103 UGW 116 (prepregnancy weight)

Currently In recovery since February 24th 2020

5213461b3a3dc53c637f0f7347d9a399983cd57b

#79 PinkishKitten

PinkishKitten

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1037 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:28 PM

What’s the Alpha Omega thing???

It was drama with a troll

5’3 CW:120 HW:145 LW:103 UGW 116 (prepregnancy weight)

Currently In recovery since February 24th 2020

5213461b3a3dc53c637f0f7347d9a399983cd57b

#80 gonei

gonei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:34 AM

Oh I see

New goal, be a happy, healthy 119lbs and stay there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users