I got gastric sleeve surgery a month ago. Ask me anything. - Starting at a higher BMI - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

I got gastric sleeve surgery a month ago. Ask me anything.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FatKitteh

FatKitteh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:53 PM

I've been struggling with my weight and bed for the past 10 years. I lost weight countless times but gained them back plus more. So I decided to get gastric sleeve surgery. Before that I thought I needed to be morbidly obese but where I live (Sweden) the limit starts from 30 bmi, I had 33.2. I paid the surgery myself but if I had bmi 40 i wouldn't have needed to do it since insurance covers it.

Sooo i got gastric sleeve surgery 4 weeks ago. Prior to the surgery I was told to lose some weight to shrink the liver's size. I started dieting a week before. I ate 800 calories and I had lost 2.5 kgs when I had the surgery. It's been a month now in 5 weeks I lost total 9,5 kgs. (21 lbs)

I was 96 kg (211.5 lbs) when I started my diet,

I was 93.5 when I had my surgery.

Now I weigh 86.5 kg (190.5 lbs) .

I am 5'7 tall.

I didn't have much pain after the surgery. When I woke up I had some pains but after some pain killers I didn't have any pain at all. The first day I didn't eat anything or drink anything with calories. Only water. Tiny amounts of water every 15 mins. I had no problems with walking, actually they forced me to walk to decrease the risk of getting blood clot. The second day I had some soup and yoghurt. And the same day I was able to leave the clinic. The second and third day I had incredibly frequent burps which was really annoying. I also had to give myself blood thinning shots for 10 days to prevent blood clots.

First week I could only take in 200 calories. Now I can eat solids and I feel ok with 600-800 calories. If I really want to restrict I can be fine with below 500 calories but I don't wanna do that. I need protein and vitamins so I try to eat protein and vitamin rich foods.

First 2 weeks I lost weight so fast but it eventually slowed down. Now I  average 1 kg per week. I know it's gonna be more when I start to move properly.

I feel full with tiny amounts of food. Usually 150 ml volume is enough for me. Sometimes i can't even eat 100 ml, it really depends on the food. Right now I cant eat for example red meat, because it's so hard to digest it. Yesterday I tried to eat small cheeseburger  from mcdonalds but i could only finish half of it, which was 150 calories. Softer and non greasy foods are easier for me to eat.

I can't say i don't get hungry. I do but it's not like before. Before the surgery I was constantly hungry and irritated, I could eat two and half plates of pasta in one sitting. Now I can't even eat a handful of pasta.

If anyone is wondering anything, feel free to ask.

sozluk-erkeklerinin-ayak-fotograflari_94

#2 *daisydreams*

*daisydreams*

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1719 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:05 PM

Hope you're doing ok afterwards. It seems so :) Well done on the weight loss so far.

Are you pleased you made this decision? Do you envisage any difficulties leading a 'normal' life - eg eating out in restaurants?

#3 FatKitteh

FatKitteh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:27 PM

Hope you're doing ok afterwards. It seems so :) Well done on the weight loss so far.

Are you pleased you made this decision? Do you envisage any difficulties leading a 'normal' life - eg eating out in restaurants?

Thank you. I am doing ok :)

I think yes, I am pleased that I had this surgery. First days I stuggled really hard, I regretted a little bit but now I am really happy for myself. This surgery is no magic wand, you still have to do your best when it comes to cravings because it won't eliminate them 100 procent. Right now there is nutella in the kitchen cabinet, I could fit in maybe 4-5 tablespoons but I don't do it. Some say that they don't crave junk food anymore but that didn't happen to me. I just feel full with small portions, that's it.

I don't envisage diffuculties that much. For example I went out to the restaurant 3 times since the surgery. I ordered an appetizer and my boyfriend had a normal meal. I don't think anyone would suspect anything that I had surgery. I could say that I am not that hungry etc. I almost eat at the same pace as before, the only difference is my portion sizes.

• *daisydreams* likes this

#4 supersizetosuperskinny

supersizetosuperskinny

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:06 PM

I've been struggling with my weight and bed for the past 10 years. I lost weight countless times but gained them back plus more. So I decided to get gastric sleeve surgery. Before that I thought I needed to be morbidly obese but where I live (Sweden) the limit starts from 30 bmi, I had 33.2. I paid the surgery myself but if I had bmi 40 i wouldn't have needed to do it since insurance covers it.

Sooo i got gastric sleeve surgery 4 weeks ago. Prior to the surgery I was told to lose some weight to shrink the liver's size. I started dieting a week before. I ate 800 calories and I had lost 2.5 kgs when I had the surgery. It's been a month now in 5 weeks I lost total 9,5 kgs. (21 lbs)

I was 96 kg (211.5 lbs) when I started my diet,

I was 93.5 when I had my surgery.

Now I weigh 86.5 kg (190.5 lbs) .

I am 5'7 tall.

I didn't have much pain after the surgery. When I woke up I had some pains but after some pain killers I didn't have any pain at all. The first day I didn't eat anything or drink anything with calories. Only water. Tiny amounts of water every 15 mins. I had no problems with walking, actually they forced me to walk to decrease the risk of getting blood clot. The second day I had some soup and yoghurt. And the same day I was able to leave the clinic. The second and third day I had incredibly frequent burps which was really annoying. I also had to give myself blood thinning shots for 10 days to prevent blood clots.

First week I could only take in 200 calories. Now I can eat solids and I feel ok with 600-800 calories. If I really want to restrict I can be fine with below 500 calories but I don't wanna do that. I need protein and vitamins so I try to eat protein and vitamin rich foods.

First 2 weeks I lost weight so fast but it eventually slowed down. Now I  average 1 kg per week. I know it's gonna be more when I start to move properly.

I feel full with tiny amounts of food. Usually 150 ml volume is enough for me. Sometimes i can't even eat 100 ml, it really depends on the food. Right now I cant eat for example red meat, because it's so hard to digest it. Yesterday I tried to eat small cheeseburger  from mcdonalds but i could only finish half of it, which was 150 calories. Softer and non greasy foods are easier for me to eat.

I can't say i don't get hungry. I do but it's not like before. Before the surgery I was constantly hungry and irritated, I could eat two and half plates of pasta in one sitting. Now I can't even eat a handful of pasta.

If anyone is wondering anything, feel free to ask.

I had gastric sleeve surgery on Sept 6th, I went abroad and paid for it as I didn't want the psych test they do beforehand here in the UK because I know all of my eating issues would come out.  At the moment I'm losing 2lb a week (wtf?) on 550-800 calories a day and mentally I feel like rubbish.  I thought that getting surgery to physically limit the amount i can eat would make me feel back in control but it doesn't,  I've tried mushy foods and even a bit of solids to "test" my sleeve so already I'm rebelling and breaking the rules and I just feel like this is another thing that I am going to fail.  I did start seeing a therapist for the first time ever last week though so maybe CBT will help and I would ruin this too.

How are you getting on now?

Used to be 375lbs+

Now I'm around 165lbs and still not happy

#5 FatKitteh

FatKitteh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:18 PM

I had gastric sleeve surgery on Sept 6th, I went abroad and paid for it as I didn't want the psych test they do beforehand here in the UK because I know all of my eating issues would come out.  At the moment I'm losing 2lb a week (wtf?) on 550-800 calories a day and mentally I feel like rubbish.  I thought that getting surgery to physically limit the amount i can eat would make me feel back in control but it doesn't,  I've tried mushy foods and even a bit of solids to "test" my sleeve so already I'm rebelling and breaking the rules and I just feel like this is another thing that I am going to fail.  I did start seeing a therapist for the first time ever last week though so maybe CBT will help and I would ruin this too.

How are you getting on now?

Oh so sorry for the late reply.Haven't logged in for a while...

It's been 5 months since the surgery I lost 52 pounds so far. I think what you experienced is very normal. First periods I was ravenous as hell because pureed and liquid foods feel nothing. Besides it takes some time to adjust to the new stomach because your brain acts still the same. The solid period makes the things easier. I see that you had your surgery in september, how is it going for you now?

Well for me, i am losing so damn slow, it's because I eat like shit and since my stomach is healed, eating food has now become really easy. I tolerate most of the foods except burgers and some meats. I absolutely feel less hunger but my sweet tooth makes things harder for me. Even though I feel less hungry compared to the old days, I I need to eat frequently because I feel like my stomach flushes out the food really fast, therefore I get hungry faster. But I can supress this hunger with tiny amounts of food.

Gastric sleeve surgery is absolutly not a miracle though. You still need willpower. The only plus side is that you feel full with tiny amounts of food, however junkfood like chocolate and chips are still soooo easy to consume, whether you have a small stomach or not. I just gotta stop with chocolate and shit and I hope I will be fine.

#6 Cocaine_Fairy

Cocaine_Fairy

Devil Worshipping Anorexic Subhuman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10172 posts
  • LocationBlumenau, Brazil

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:20 PM

I don't have any questions but I just wanted to say you are incredibly strong and your progress is amazing!
You should be very proud, I'm glad everything went well.
*hugs* ❤
  • FatKitteh likes this
stoned_banners.png
♡ Slytherin ♡ ~ ♡ Burner/Stoner ♡ ~ They/Them
27 ~ Engaged ~ Trans*Neutral ~ Asexual
Deaf/APD ~ Hedonistic Cantheist Pastafarian
Photosensitive Epileptic ~ C-PTSD
Schizoaffective Disorder
♡ AN-B/P(Dx in 2010/2013/2017) ♡ High Restriction ♡
pesco1.png
Height: 170cm//5'7
HW: 82kg//180lbs - "Recovery" - BMI: 28.2