Anyone else feel like they are too old to be here? - Age 40+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Anyone else feel like they are too old to be here?

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bony49_*

Guest_Bony49_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:30 AM

I want to talk about many the topics all over the forum but most people are young enough to be my children and I feel creepy. I wish there was a section called "over 30" because that feels ok to me.

I want to be here and talk strictly based on topic and sometimes I am a teenager when it comes to these issues. But I'm not a teenager. I want help and to be honest people are helpful, just as my own kids are helpful. But I don't tell them about my ED.
  • ScottMachonnil12 and FightOn like this

#2 Guest_SaraScofield_*

Guest_SaraScofield_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:33 AM

There is a forum for those in their 30s, even 40s. I'm 42, and definitely too old to be here.

• Genia bean and Burdeninthehand like this

#3 Guest_Bony49_*

Guest_Bony49_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:34 AM

There is a forum for those in their 30s, even 40s. I'm 42, and definitely too old to be here.

I'm almost 49 which is almost 50. I shouldn't even have an eating disorder. But I guess this is how it goes.
  • poppet, Butterfly1, herekittykitty99 and 1 other like this

#4 freetobeme

freetobeme

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • LocationWithin myself

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:08 AM

57 pathetic huh? Yes peer threads are listed.

If at first I dont suceed, I must try try again!
  • Lightworker, poppet, BDD51 and 4 others like this

I have no idea what the exact motivation is that brings all of us here but do know it is widely varied.  I pass judgement on no one.  Each person has their own story to tell and experiences that justify their situation.  Peace to all and may you find your tomorrow better than today.

5'8"

CW 186.0

GW 130.0

1st goal 175.0 

2nd goal 165.0

3rd goal  155.0

4th goal  145.0

5th goal  140.0

{I want to be perfectly pink}

#5 til_then

til_then

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:33 AM

I'm 53. But Ed's don't come with an age limit. Mine started at 11,and has came and went all through my life.

• Gizzygirl14, anorexicduty, poppet and 12 others like this

what-do-you-mean-Im-fat-cat.jpgV6Okow2.gifTqo7c1P.gif

#6 Guest_Botanicals_*

Guest_Botanicals_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:34 AM

42 here.  I hang out mainly on 40+, a little on 30+ and I answer a lot of status updates of all ages.

Every now and then I get bored and have a foray into the teen dominated forums, but there's little joy from it, and some of them can be real brats, especially if they know you're older.  Plus all the posts about school and hiding stuff from your mum or your teachers, well.

• Liva, NeverBeenHappy and taco_and_420 like this

#7 Lirpa

Lirpa

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:15 AM

YES... Also I don't feel right talking out in the open among the teens.. I feel like some of them are scanning everything that's posted, looking for advice on how to "accomplish" a successful eating disorder .. This freaks me out
  • Lightworker, BDD51 and Xthin1 like this

#8 Margay

Margay

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:12 AM

I'm in my late 40ies and living with an ED for more than 30years now. didn't even know the term "eating disorder" by then....

• Lightworker, poppet, made of stones and 5 others like this

#9 ghostlywanderer

ghostlywanderer

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:43 AM

I'm 25 and feel too old. I always thought my disordered eating would stop once I reached "adult age" (eg. 21) but guess not

• herekittykitty99 likes this

1,68m

5'6"

70 69 68 67 66 65 64 63 62 61 60 (yessss) 59 58 57 56 55 kg

154 - 121 lbs

Accountability aka My Failed HSGD

I'm on Pancake

#10 Guest_Botanicals_*

Guest_Botanicals_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:31 AM

I'm 25 and feel too old. I always thought my disordered eating would stop once I reached "adult age" (eg. 21) but guess not

That's unfortunate.  I wonder if there is any consensus on at what age an ED is likely to become indefinite rather than curable?  Would be a good thing for some research (as well as aspects of chronic ED presentation in older people vs the current clinical criteria that tend to fit young people in acute episodes and therefore make it easier for older folks to be ignored/fobbed off).

#11 PaperFlames

PaperFlames

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:09 PM

I’ve had my ED since I was 14.  Mine has been non-stop despite many forced treatments/refeedings...and here I am 30+ years later.  Growing older has NEVER been a credible treatment option for eating disorders...or any other mental illness that I’m aware of.

Having said that...YES, I do feel too old to have an eating disorder.  But mostly that is because of the societal stigma that’s attached to “older” people having eating disorders as well as society viewing EDs as shallow and vain.  I have always gone to great lengths to hide my ED - I still do, except from my doctors.  All my doctors know I have anorexia and that I have no desire to recover, which they are all fine with, by the way, because they view me as chronic/stable.  Everyone else: I tell them my thinness is due to a special diet I have to maintain because of my Multiple Sclerosis. 

• poppet and dmegirl77 like this
ht:5'2" Age: 50
hw: 22.7 bmi
cw: 13.1 bmi
lw:13.1 bmi
Agender (they / them)

#12 meyer_lemon

meyer_lemon

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:14 PM

I definitely feel too old to be here/have an ed.

• SkyeByrd75 and lonelyone77 like this

#13 NeverBeenHappy

NeverBeenHappy

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:03 PM

42 here.  I hang out mainly on 40+, a little on 30+ and I answer a lot of status updates of all ages.

Every now and then I get bored and have a foray into the teen dominated forums, but there's little joy from it, and some of them can be real brats, especially if they know you're older.  Plus all the posts about school and hiding stuff from your mum or your teachers, well.

I've been meaning to respond to your post, Bot. I am most comfortable in the 40+ area, but morbid curiosity makes me wonder what the "younger set" is up to, so sometimes I read other forums. We all have the right to be here, but it IS so nice to have the freedom of being older - no boyfriend/girlfriend issues (well, maybe not), the endless "day at university photos", and of course, "my Mom caught me doing *insert dysfunctional activity of choice here*". I must sound like a real b*tch, but it does get old. And God forbid, posting anything in their "selfie" section - they will rip you a new a**hole. I made that mistake, and all I got was a bunch of "too much sagging skin" and other such commentary. Listen, you little wannabe's, YOU have a child at age 46 and wear it half as well as I do. It really hurt my feelings and made me angry at the majority of the teens here.
But there is a good side to all my c*ntishness here - I met a lovely young lady (now age 20) in the chat room that is a true gem. She and I still maintain a sporadic correspondence via e-mail and I am happy to report that she is recovering.
One more thing. (I know, "does she ever shut up", right? Not when I'm on a roll!) My ED did not begin as a teen - it surfaced in my late 30's, so I'm an anomaly in yet one more way. I apologize if I have stereotyped or offended anyone.
  • tig-ol-bitties, Foreverlonely, poppet and 9 others like this
5' 6"
HW - 151
SW - 151
CW - 144
GW - 99
UGW - ?

"1, 2, Freddy's coming for you, 3, 4, better lock your door, 5, 6, grab your crucifix, 7, 8, gonna stay up late, 9, 10...NEVER SLEEP AGAIN."

#14 freetobeme

freetobeme

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • LocationWithin myself

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:38 AM

I've been meaning to respond to your post, Bot. I am most comfortable in the 40+ area, but morbid curiosity makes me wonder what the "younger set" is up to, so sometimes I read other forums. We all have the right to be here, but it IS so nice to have the freedom of being older - no boyfriend/girlfriend issues (well, maybe not), the endless "day at university photos", and of course, "my Mom caught me doing *insert dysfunctional activity of choice here*". I must sound like a real b*tch, but it does get old. And God forbid, posting anything in their "selfie" section - they will rip you a new a**hole. I made that mistake, and all I got was a bunch of "too much sagging skin" and other such commentary. Listen, you little wannabe's, YOU have a child at age 46 and wear it half as well as I do. It really hurt my feelings and made me angry at the majority of the teens here.
But there is a good side to all my c*ntishness here - I met a lovely young lady (now age 20) in the chat room that is a true gem. She and I still maintain a sporadic correspondence via e-mail and I am happy to report that she is recovering.
One more thing. (I know, "does she ever shut up", right? Not when I'm on a roll!) My ED did not begin as a teen - it surfaced in my late 30's, so I'm an anomaly in yet one more way. I apologize if I have stereotyped or offended anyone.

I have no idea what the exact motivation is that brings all of us here but do know it is widely varied.  I pass judgement on no one.  Each person has their own story to tell and experiences that justify their situation.  Peace to all and may you find your tomorrow better than today.

5'8"

CW 186.0

GW 130.0

1st goal 175.0 

2nd goal 165.0

3rd goal  155.0

4th goal  145.0

5th goal  140.0

#15 freetobeme

freetobeme

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • LocationWithin myself

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:40 AM

I do agree. My ED did start in my teens tho. Your honesty is refreshing

• NeverBeenHappy likes this

5'8"

CW 186.0

GW 130.0

1st goal 175.0 

2nd goal 165.0

3rd goal  155.0

4th goal  145.0

5th goal  140.0

#16 MC33

MC33

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3010 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:59 PM

Oh gosh. I have seen selfies posted of people who are clearly emaciated asking  people to guess their BMI and getting outrageous responses.One girl couldn't have been more than 90 lbs and they were guessing 115 and that poor girl is probably devastated. Not a good idea. If you can post your selfies here, you'll get a much more accurate response.

• NeverBeenHappy and dmegirl77 like this

#17 NeverBeenHappy

NeverBeenHappy

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 01:47 PM

A

Oh gosh. I have seen selfies posted of people who are clearly emaciated asking  people to guess their BMI and getting outrageous responses.One girl couldn't have been more than 90 lbs and they were guessing 115 and that poor girl is probably devastated. Not a good idea. If you can post your selfies here, you'll get a much more accurate response.

Agreed. The younger people can be downright cruel, and that too gets tiresome. That's precisely why I posted some random photos of myself here and the few responses I got were so kind and very encouraging. I wonder if starting a selfie thread here would yield any responses. I know a lot of us are very sensitive about the way we look and may not feel comfortable posting pictures, but I'm just always so curious as to people's goals, their progress, their struggles, and would love to put faces (or bodies) with what I read from all of you.
5' 6"
HW - 151
SW - 151
CW - 144
GW - 99
UGW - ?

"1, 2, Freddy's coming for you, 3, 4, better lock your door, 5, 6, grab your crucifix, 7, 8, gonna stay up late, 9, 10...NEVER SLEEP AGAIN."

#18 Guest_Botanicals_*

Guest_Botanicals_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2016 - 01:57 PM

I wouldn't comment on other people's selfies on any forum.  I'm just not comfortable with it.  It's nothing personal and not that I think anyone's pics look like shit or make them look fat.  I just find the whole thing weird.

#19 MC33

MC33

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3010 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:30 PM

A
Agreed. The younger people can be downright cruel, and that too gets tiresome. That's precisely why I posted some random photos of myself here and the few responses I got were so kind and very encouraging. I wonder if starting a selfie thread here would yield any responses. I know a lot of us are very sensitive about the way we look and may not feel comfortable posting pictures, but I'm just always so curious as to people's goals, their progress, their struggles, and would love to put faces (or bodies) with what I read from all of you.

I don't think even know if they're being cruel or just out of touch with reality. But no matter. I agree. It would be nice to put a face to the name.That's why I put my photo on my page.

#20 MC33

MC33

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3010 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:34 PM

I wouldn't comment on other people's selfies on any forum.  I'm just not comfortable with it.  It's nothing personal and not that I think anyone's pics look like shit or make them look fat.  I just find the whole thing weird.

Yes I get that but I think sometimes if a person has BDD, they really don't know what they look like and they feel they can trust their (ED) family to tell them.

• TimesRunningOut likes this

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users