Anyone else feel like they are too old to be here? - Page 2 - Age 40+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Anyone else feel like they are too old to be here?

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#21 Toooldtofeelthis

Toooldtofeelthis

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationEast coast United states

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:50 PM

I feel "weird" being here as well. See user name. I thought I would be "over" my self hatred and body obssession by now. I was good for several years and ate and drank my way up to 175 pounds. A bottle of wine and bag of chips or pretzels a day not caring. In reality probably just a little bed. Now I'm back to wanting to just carve and claw off the extra flesh. But all I can do is restrict and wait for my body to eat it. I do feel voyeuristic on the thinspiration and selfie forums, using the pictures to trigger myself and wanting to look that way. My kids are 23,21,16, and 14 it feels wrong to covet appearing like girls that age. I think you don't get over this, you just learn to cope with varying degrees of success.
  • Foreverlonely, Butterfly1 and Bagsmore0 like this

#22 Depeche_Love

Depeche_Love

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:16 PM

I'm 43. Can't even believe that I'm already in my 40s!!! Not sure if I feel too old to be in this forum now but for sure, I feel as if 20-something me is looking at 40-something me and shaking her head in disbelief. I really thought that I would have a better grasp on life by now. I guess, I am emotionally still a teenager... 

• freetobeme likes this

#23 cassandratoday

cassandratoday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:04 AM

OK, all you young whippersnappers  ;) I'm 65. I wonder if I'm the oldest person here.

I don't think I have an ED but I have no interest in asking my therapist, who's already working on enough shit with me. I do know that I've cruised through the obese BMI range in the past 10 years and now I'm teetering on the edge of super-obese or astonishingly-obese or whatever they call the next level. My docs are all telling me my diabetes2 and my cholesterol are gonna kill me before my time and I finally believe them. I'm determined to drop weight with a quickness -- I know this "just eat moderately and exercise moderately" advice is not gonna work for me.

Mostly I'm on here for sanity checks, make sure I'm not sliding over the line from aggressive weight loss to disordered weight loss. (I wouldn't say that anywhere else on myproana except here.)

Warning: LGBTQ talk hidden in spoiler - don't read it you don't like it.

Spoiler

Anyway, that's me.

• Ambient-ringing, FitFlower, invisiblyme and 3 others like this

I can do this hard thing.

I will do this hard thing.

c86044b00dfb4a71e54d1fa7198e500d.png

HW 245

SW 232

CW 228 229 222

GW1 199

GW2 175

GW3 165

GW4 150

UGW 125

(Accountability link: Going public)

#24 idisappear96

idisappear96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:35 AM

I turned 40 this summer. I feel like I'm too old and should know better. Last summer I was a raging bulimic, and got down to 137. In November last year, I decided I couldn't keep doing that if I wanted to live, and gained 40 pounds. But this is no life either, and I'm back to purging because I'm fuckin gross.

#25 invisiblyme

invisiblyme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:50 AM

so glad i found this section. at 54 i felt really out of place here. when i was restricting in my 20's i don't remember any label for it. i only knew that i felt happy when i could see my hip bones and clothes hung loosely on me. i'm 5'5 1/2" and never weighed more than 115. didn't look gaunt but i was thin & happy. then i married, got lazy, developed depression and my weight hit a high of 132. when my husband left after i put him through graduate school, i attempted suicide. luckily i survived, and had dropped down to 98lbs. slowly i began to gain it back, not realizing how hard it would be to keep it off (i lost it from depression and despair, not restriction.) now i'm remarried with 4 stepchildren and i've lost myself in the chaos, and here i am at a whopping 142lbs. i hate it. i feel invisible. i searched and found this forum. i devoured the tips. i want to be successful without purging.

this is day two for me. i feel like i'm finally gonna do it.
  • Foreverlonely and MMIDREY like this
W꙰A꙰N꙰T꙰ M꙰Y꙰ O꙰L꙰D꙰ B꙰O꙰D꙰Y꙰ B꙰A꙰C꙰K꙰!!!

5'5"
HW 142
LW 98
SW 142 October 4, 2016
CW 140 now 138! 10/20 136!
GW 117

#26 40SomeThin

40SomeThin

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:59 AM

Welcome, Embrace.

This has been a good site for me.  You will find the 40+ folks very understanding and supportive.  I started posting on the Accountability thread a month ago and it really has helped me lose.  I'm 47, do not believe I have an eating disorder, but REFUSE to gain weight as I age.  I found this site as a result of doing some type of diet search a couple of months ago.  Anyway, hope you find it helpful and good luck with your goals!

• Ambient-ringing, invisiblyme, FightOn and 1 other like this

Height: 5'1" / Age 49

CW:  94.2 (BMI 17.8) (4/10/18)

GW:  93.0 (BMI 17.6) (by 5/1)

GW:  91.0 (17.2) (by 6/1)

UGW: 89.0 (BMI 16.8) (by 6/25)

#27 invisiblyme

invisiblyme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:14 AM

thank you Thin. i think i'll take your lead and head over to the accountability thread. i don't want to be all talk, no action. i also do not believe i have an eating disorder at this point in my life (no judgement - wish i could restrict right now) but i wonder if my dissatisfaction with my body image isn't a psychological issue. i'm an Aspie with depression, so just add it to the pile lol

5'5"
HW 142
LW 98
SW 142 October 4, 2016
GW 117

#28 FitFlower

FitFlower

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:41 AM

I am too old to be here, but I belong here.  Not my fault I have the same issues as the young'uns :lol:

If I didn't come here, I would have never found the B.E.D. & Higher BMI group.  I always felt drawn to ana groups but I felt too fat to be here.  But now I feel like, wow, there are many others going through the same thing as I am. 

But yeah, sometimes it's weird to be going through the same things as a 15 year old.  My children are older than that.  :rolleyes:

• cassandratoday likes this

XoXo ~ Flower

#29 Guest_Botanicals_*

Guest_Botanicals_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:16 AM

thank you Thin. i think i'll take your lead and head over to the accountability thread. i don't want to be all talk, no action. i also do not believe i have an eating disorder at this point in my life (no judgement - wish i could restrict right now) but i wonder if my dissatisfaction with my body image isn't a psychological issue. i'm an Aspie with depression, so just add it to the pile lol

Hm, except that autism and EDs tend to go hand in hand ...

(As an autistic with an ED myself)

• invisiblyme likes this

#30 Solstice

Solstice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:48 PM

I turned 40 this spring.  (It's still so weird to type that)  I definitely had eating disorders when I was a teenager and early twenties.  I was bulimic, and would starve myself as long as possible.    I recovered from my bulimia and was happy with my weight for most of my twenties and early thirties. Then after i got pregnant and had  my third baby the weight just would not budge.  I feel like I got out of my usual way of eating for pregnancies and breastfeeding and I was all messed up.  I have had an extra 20 to 30 pounds for 4 years now.

The past few years though, I have been working hardcore on my emotional eating issues and I feel I have come leaps and bounds from where I was when I was young.  I also haven't binged in years.  I am hoping that my good habits and emotional health will help me now that I have finally gotten serious about losing this weight.  I don't restrict so much as to trigger a binge feeling anymore.  I like to think I have finally learned something in the past 20 years! lol

#31 invisiblyme

invisiblyme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:54 PM

Hm, except that autism and EDs tend to go hand in hand ...

(As an autistic with an ED myself)

i had no idea. interesting. did some research on it. (i'm a voracious reader and like to figure things out immediately)

also, wanted to thank you for the accountability idea. i started my own and it really helps. thanks!

5'5"
HW 142
LW 98
SW 142 October 4, 2016
GW 117

#32 Ambient-ringing

Ambient-ringing

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado.

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:00 PM

I am 46 years old and feel to old and recently tried to put some of my weight back on, but only to find that I starve myself again- feeling like a failure. This has been my whole life struggle since I was  child. I tell myself that I am older and wiser and should not be anorexic but I am. Just trying to love the imperfect creature who I am and it is my imperfection that makes me human and lovable and not some robot.

• FightOn likes this

#33 cassandratoday

cassandratoday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:44 PM

If I didn't come here, I would have never found the B.E.D. & Higher BMI group.  I always felt drawn to ana groups but I felt too fat to be here.  But now I feel like, wow, there are many others going through the same thing as I am. 

One thing I love about this site is seeing so many people trying to cope with their body image and weight in so many different ways. And I can read and learn from whatever anyone says, whether I agree with them 100% or not. I've learned things from kids in a terrible struggle with ana, and from middle aged people who are just trying to get from obese to overweight. With the no-judging policy, it feels safe here for all of us.

• TimesRunningOut and FitFlower like this

I can do this hard thing.

I will do this hard thing.

c86044b00dfb4a71e54d1fa7198e500d.png

HW 245

SW 232

CW 228 229 222

GW1 199

GW2 175

GW3 165

GW4 150

UGW 125

(Accountability link: Going public)

#34 Guest_Botanicals_*

Guest_Botanicals_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:12 AM

Yes I get that but I think sometimes if a person has BDD, they really don't know what they look like and they feel they can trust their (ED) family to tell them.

S'funny, I found myself on a BMI calculator that shows an image of what the body looks like at the selected BMI, and I don't know if it was just badly done or what, but it went down to something like 9.8 and the lowest BMI didn't look shocking.  It was a computer generated solid image so it didn't look like loose skin etc that really happens, just got narrower.  Didn't look terrible at all, and I really don't know if that was just me, or a badly designed pic.

#35 MC33

MC33

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3010 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:25 AM

S'funny, I found myself on a BMI calculator that shows an image of what the body looks like at the selected BMI, and I don't know if it was just badly done or what, but it went down to something like 9.8 and the lowest BMI didn't look shocking.  It was a computer generated solid image so it didn't look like loose skin etc that really happens, just got narrower.  Didn't look terrible at all, and I really don't know if that was just me, or a badly designed pic.

I just went to BMI Visualizer and it's not at all accurate. (It's not you)

• Ambient-ringing likes this

#36 Ambient-ringing

Ambient-ringing

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado.

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:12 AM

I just went to BMI Visualizer and it's not at all accurate. (It's not you)

Lol, I went to that site after I read your post and I looked much fatter with a 15.5 BMI. Yep bad design.

• MC33 likes this

#37 FitFlower

FitFlower

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:45 PM

One thing I love about this site is seeing so many people trying to cope with their body image and weight in so many different ways. And I can read and learn from whatever anyone says, whether I agree with them 100% or not. I've learned things from kids in a terrible struggle with ana, and from middle aged people who are just trying to get from obese to overweight. With the no-judging policy, it feels safe here for all of us.

Very very very true!  I knew I had unhealthy relationship with food & unhealthy body image.  I've learned so much here as well. 

• cassandratoday likes this

XoXo ~ Flower

#38 Runnergirlgone

Runnergirlgone

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:50 PM

I am 41 and have been struggling since I was 13.  I would love to connect with people my own age who understand what it is like to have a career and a marriage and an eating disorder.

#39 Guest_Botanicals_*

Guest_Botanicals_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:51 PM

I am 41 and have been struggling since I was 13.  I would love to connect with people my own age who understand what it is like to have a career and a marriage and an eating disorder.

Hm, no career, no marriage, just an ED.  Sorry to disappoint!

#40 kelly12345

kelly12345

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:39 PM

I definitely feel too old to be on this site, especially when reading some of what the "kids" post. I will respond to some of the posts, but not too many. It makes me sad to see the little ones struggling. When I was in Res programs, a lot of the 30 and over patients would go to the little ones and encourage them to fight the eating disorder with
everything they've got b/c they don't want to be cycling through the system well into adulthood. We called the
adolescents "the Littles" at my last Res program. I'm still in contact with a few of them and thankfully most are
doing really well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users