Anyone else feel like they are too old to be here? - Page 6 - Age 40+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Anyone else feel like they are too old to be here?

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#101 ✖✖✖

✖✖✖

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1088 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

Hey, I'm a bit younger than you all (I'm 22, so I'm more of the "average" age on here) and I was just creeping on your forum, and I just want to say that this is a place for you, regardless of age or weight or disorder or gender. We're all here looking for support and you're members of this community too. I know it's definitely great to be able to relate to people your own age and that that's important, but I also hope you feel like your able to pop in a say hi in some of the other forums too. ((Hugs))

• ~angelheart~, Foreverlonely, Butterfly1 and 3 others like this

H: 5'10" || HW: 276 || SW: 270 || LW: 104 || UGW: 130

#102 Guest_AnaDreams68_*

Guest_AnaDreams68_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

Crap, I know, I tell myself everyday "I am too old for this, I am freak'n 46, male, single dad, so wtf am I doing?" My Ed has lost friends, stressed loved ones, and I still do my best to hide it, but no longer hide it from myself. Yet here we are, welcome friend :)

Me too. 48 years old, Dad, Married with a 9yo girl. Not many of us older guys around here.

• ~angelheart~ likes this

#103 ~angelheart~

~angelheart~

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 6077 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

Me too. 48 years old, Dad, Married with a 9yo girl. Not many of us older guys around here.

Welcome to the 40+ forum. :)  Of course, I don't know if you've ever posted in this forum or not, because I've just come back from an MPA hiatus, but I thought I'd welcome you anyway! :D  

Have you met treacle, Ambient-ringing or Ma-An?  Treacle is in his 50's, and he's pretty active around here.  I can't remember how old the other two are exactly, but I think they're in their 40's.

#104 Guest_It’sKat_withA_K_*

Guest_It’sKat_withA_K_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:27 AM

Hi Pixie,

I just want to thank youfor the warm welcome and add. I decided to come here because I'm at the end of my rope. It's good to see others who understand. You btw look amazing. I am currently struggling to get back where I was before I got hurt. I refuse to let my dr weigh me and am constantly trying on my clothes from when I was at my lowest. I'm determined and will get there again. Also glad to see others in my age group bc it felt strange at 1st thinking everyone was so much younger than me. When I saw this section it was a huge relief.

5'6
CW: too big
LW : 100 lbs
GW: back to 100
UGW: 95

#105 Mizz_Meow

Mizz_Meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationBrizzzvegas region

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

I don't really feel like I relate to anyone on here, and I generally get dismissed and ignored... but I STILL come here? LOL

e585c5365a0b7f39cb936b39d9781dcf

and i dont wanna have to think

reminded of the torture so i have to drink

and i dont wanna have to see

my reflection in the mirror

you disfigured me....

16807218 1212807978838741 6457650900276106802 N

;)nothing tastes as good as skinny feels ;)

#106 Guest_Flowering Cactus_*

Guest_Flowering Cactus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:09 AM

I don't really feel like I relate to anyone on here, and I generally get dismissed and ignored... but I STILL come here? LOL

Maybe it's due to not posting very much?  One thing that I have learned is people who post only occasionally tend to feel quite upset if they get no responses, but those who post more, even though some or even most of their posts might get little or no response, get enough response overall to feel a part of things.

I'm not telling you that you ought to post more, just pointing out something that might be helpful to know.  Before I was on MPA I saw the same thing on the old (not pro ana) e-mail forums I used to hang out on.

#107 jenijen

jenijen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:00 AM

Come join us on ceruleanbutterfly.com We have lots of older members!

#108 Foreverlonely

Foreverlonely

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:01 PM

I definitely feel too old to deal with this now. But it's here and I have to and it's a part of my life that I have accepted that isn't going to go away so I might as well give in to it and try to make the best of it.
By that I mean perhaps trying to just eat healthy, following fitness models instead of looking at thin women that are considered to be thinspo because I'm far too old for that
My body has been annihilated by 5 kids, I have a bladder prolapse that needs fixing, no teeth (on the waiting list for dentures) and stretch marks up the wazoo. I will never look like any of the thinspo girls so I may as well concentrate on the fit ones that I might be able to achieve.
But the voice in my head saying 'bones' is very loud some days.
I started this at about 6 yrs old due to an insensitive comment from a primary school child in my class and I'm 38 turning 39 this year so I've been like it for 30+ yrs.
I have my own habits I've developed over the years and it's made my OCD and anxiety much worse, but I know the happiest time in my life was when I was exercising and at the gym every day and could fit into my extremely small clothes (around a size 2 US) we didn't have size 6 in Australia then so I was forced to go down into the kids clothing section to shop.
I felt alive. Not sluggish and awful like I feel at my body's set point.
Anyway enough rattling on. Thanks for being such a great bunch of people in this forum, it really does make me feel like I have somewhere to belong. That in itself is a miracle as I have never belonged anywhere with any social group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Height 5'7"/170cm

HW - 120 kg (264lbs)
LW - 52 kg (114lbs)

SW - 78.8kg (173.3lbs) (As of 10th Jan 2019)
CW - 77.7kg (170.94
lbs) (As of 19th January 2021)

BMI - 26.9 

Janiary goal weight 75kg (167.2 lbs)

170 - 169 - 168 - 167 - 166 - 165 - 164 - 163 - 160 - 161  

160 - 159 - 158 - 157 - 156 - 155 - 154 - 153 - 152 - 151  

150 - 149 - 148 - 147 - 146 - 145 - 144 - 143 - 142 - 141  

140 - 139 - 138 - 137 - 136 - 135 - 134 - 133 - 132 - 131  

130 - 129 - 128 - 127 - 126 - 125 - 124 - 123 - 122 - 121   

120 - 119 - 118 - 117 - 116.

I've been suffering with one form of this ED or another since i was a child. I am 40 now with 5 kids.

My Accountability and Story

https://www.myfitnes...rofile/suzi1178

#109 Chubbychops

Chubbychops

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6717 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:17 PM

Simply - yes.

5ft 9" / 175 cm

CBMI : 43 kg / 95 lb - BMI 14.0 (01/10/20)
Dressed

Highest weight I have been in years. Functioning so much better but struggling somewhat mentally and physically to accept. Learning a lot about why I am like this.

- Re-diagnosed Nov-17 - back in treatment (OP) after more than 20 years.

LBMI : Who cares - I was screwed, can't remember much, severe depression and just wanting to die, unable to maintain temperature - have no desire to return to that little hell hole.

LDBMI - Lowest Discharge BMI (after 2.5 months hospitalisation) : 11.9... and finally, after 9+ years, some form of 'recovery/insight' - just not the "Made for TV" version.

Chubbychops Accountability

#110 jenijen

jenijen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:38 PM

We have lots of older members over on Ceruleanbutterfly.com. Join us there!! We are a wonderfully supportive ED community!

#111 FightOn

FightOn

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1375 posts
  • LocationNortheast US

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:09 PM

I am 41 and have been struggling since I was 13.  I would love to connect with people my own age who understand what it is like to have a career and a marriage and an eating disorder.

I'm 39, spouse is 44, together 17 years

We both work- I have a busy career with 60-110 hour work weeks.

I was diagnosed with AN b/p type, body dysphoria, exercise addiction, etc 2 years ago, hospitalized last year, still struggling HARD. It is stressing out the relationship.
Ht: 6'0"
CW Muscular, 136
SW (nov 2016) 145 (BMI 19.6)
Exercise goal 2017: 2 marathons (Done!!), 2 ocean swims (Done!!)

Accountability: http://www.myproana....8#entry29796441

#112 Agartha

Agartha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:56 AM

I often feel like I'm too old to have an ED, but here I am. lol.

#113 Mizz_Meow

Mizz_Meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationBrizzzvegas region

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:33 AM

Maybe it's due to not posting very much?  One thing that I have learned is people who post only occasionally tend to feel quite upset if they get no responses, but those who post more, even though some or even most of their posts might get little or no response, get enough response overall to feel a part of things.

I'm not telling you that you ought to post more, just pointing out something that might be helpful to know.  Before I was on MPA I saw the same thing on the old (not pro ana) e-mail forums I used to hang out on.

I get what you're saying, that is helpful to know actually

e585c5365a0b7f39cb936b39d9781dcf

and i dont wanna have to think

reminded of the torture so i have to drink

and i dont wanna have to see

my reflection in the mirror

you disfigured me....

16807218 1212807978838741 6457650900276106802 N

;)nothing tastes as good as skinny feels ;)

#114 floatingskulls

floatingskulls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Locationinside my head

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:04 AM

I will be 40 in a few months. Had anorexia at 12 years old, and disordered eating and body image issues ever since.

I also have schizoaffective disorder which causes you to feel lots of apathy and indifference, which lead to me not caring about my appearance at times and gaining lots of weight, then psychiatric medications didn't help. Then have moments where I would look in the mirror shocked and how fat I got, and do fasting, extreme restriction or purging, then the apathy and indifference comes back and I don't care about anything anymore, and would go back and forth, gaining and losing.

I guess I like MPA because I can relate to disordered eating and thinking, and there are a lot of people here who also have some kind of mental illness, although I remember being a extremely anorexic at 12 and would never want to go back to that state. 

I am trying to lose on high restriction vegan diet at 800-1200 calories a day while working out and have a low goal weight of 115 lbs. Guess that brings me here too, because all my therapist think my goal weight and diet plan is crazy. But once I lose all the weight I plan to maintain on 1500-2000 calories a day.

Haven't visited the 30, 40 section much until now, but I post where I find topics relatable. I have mixed feelings being here at times. Seems like it can be negative place at times, attracting trolls, creeps and what not. 

#115 ~angelheart~

~angelheart~

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 6077 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:27 AM

I will be 40 in a few months. Had anorexia at 12 years old, and disordered eating and body image issues ever since.

I also have schizoaffective disorder which causes you to feel lots of apathy and indifference, which lead to me not caring about my appearance at times and gaining lots of weight, then psychiatric medications didn't help. Then have moments where I would look in the mirror shocked and how fat I got, and do fasting, extreme restriction or purging, then the apathy and indifference comes back and I don't care about anything anymore, and would go back and forth, gaining and losing.

I guess I like MPA because I can relate to disordered eating and thinking, and there are a lot of people here who also have some kind of mental illness, although I remember being a extremely anorexic at 12 and would never want to go back to that state. 

I am trying to lose on high restriction vegan diet at 800-1200 calories a day while working out and have a low goal weight of 115 lbs. Guess that brings me here too, because all my therapist think my goal weight and diet plan is crazy. But once I lose all the weight I plan to maintain on 1500-2000 calories a day.

Haven't visited the 30, 40 section much until now, but I post where I find topics relatable. I have mixed feelings being here at times. Seems like it can be negative place at times, attracting trolls, creeps and what not. 

Welcome to the 40+ forum!  :)  I'm vegan and currently eating between 850-1000 calories per day (usually averaging between 900 and 950), and I exercise for 2 hours everyday.  :) 

Yes, MPA can definitely be kind of negative at times, especially in certain forums, and I find that I sometimes have to take a break from all of it for awhile just to regroup.  :unsure:

• floatingskulls likes this

#116 anorexicduty

anorexicduty

Queen of Hearts

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23354 posts
  • LocationMaryland, US

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:43 AM

TBH if I were all that mature I wouldn't be here at all.  :)   Dealing with anorexia makes me feel like I'm still an adolescent.

• thinstrument and ~angelheart~ like this

Ht.: 5'7" | SW:147 lbs.| CW::125.4 lbs.| BMI: 19.6  
(6-26-2020)

Trump Still Sucks

#117 Guest_Lash_*

Guest_Lash_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:52 AM

I feel fine here, but I think this site should be 18+.

#118 Guest_Lash_*

Guest_Lash_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:57 AM

We have lots of older members over on Ceruleanbutterfly.com. Join us there!! We are a wonderfully supportive ED community!

Hi Jen,

I forgot my password and I'm not receiving an email to reset it...and I check Spam and Junk folders. Is there anything Admin can do on their end? I'd like to go visit CB! I sent you a PM here. Thanks!

#119 patchesparker

patchesparker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:57 PM

48, started at age 5, parents, doctors didn't know what was going on, Ana wasn't even a household word. Yes I feel like a fool for not ever being able to recover, I have remissions, but even in remission I never get up to a healthy weight. The highest I achieve is 5'8"  110lbs. I'm down sliding now at 91 lbs. 

#120 Xthin1

Xthin1

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2382 posts
  • LocationSE Georgia Coast

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

56 here...and yes it feels strange to be on here. I'm a grandmother for goodness sake. But, I guess ED doesn't discriminate. :-(

Height: 5'2         SW: 145 1/24/18                                                                           Check out my Blog

CW:145                                                                                                                                                                https://kh1313.wordpress.com/ 

GW1: 135

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users