Vitamin D - Vitamins, Supplements and Nutrition - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Vitamin D

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Moemoe_*

Guest_Moemoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:50 AM

If you have  a  vitamin D deficiency, can it make you gain/ harder to lose weight? 

• rorySoocuousY likes this

#2 Inthinity

Inthinity

Philanthropist

• Supporter
  • 12248 posts
  • LocationLa la land

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

There was a study done that showed vitamin D deficiency on women 64+ caused weight gain but it was only mild.

There have been links between adolescents who are obese and are also vitamin D deficient but many factors such as not going outside and being active can contribute to that rather than the direct correlation of vitamin D.

source: http://articles.merc...management.aspx

Now if you are already following a low calorie diet then making sure that you get all the vitamins and minerals your body requires is something you should strive for rather than just focusing on one vitamin.

• mumsleaweek likes this

giphy.gif

#3 blobfish

blobfish

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:25 AM

I think it makes it harder to lose, I remember some studies but I can't look for shit at the moment.

Upping my doses helped me a lot appetite wise, I had weird cravings and was constantly hungry before. 

#4 cupkatie

cupkatie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:30 AM

I have low vit D as well, and have put on weight because of it..When it is at a normal range I’m at a better weight..And yeah low vit D causes weight gain and it can even cause heart attack’s..So it’s better to do something about it!!

Height: 166cm's

Current Weight: Too much.

Goal weight: 51.

#5 Inthinity

Inthinity

Philanthropist

• Supporter
  • 12248 posts
  • LocationLa la land

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:37 AM

Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin. In that case it is possible to have too much of it. I don't know how much that concerns you but having too much of any fat soluble vitamin causes it to get stored in the liver and adipose tissue (fat). It can lead toxicity among other health problems. If you feel that you may be showing symptoms of vitamin D deficiency then go and get tested by your G.P but by no means self medicate (not that I'm implying that you are). I most of the population do not know enough about vitamins and minerals and their play on the body. I think they should be prescribed medication. Not to mention so many people are falling into the trap that they need to take these vitamins because of the overgrowth of advertisements on television stating that those falling within so and so bracket are vitamin "abcd..." deficient.

giphy.gif

#6 Guest_Moemoe_*

Guest_Moemoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:38 AM

Yeah I'm take prescribed high dose like 10,000 i.u. and a daily multi as well, but just started them so probably will take a few days before I notice any difference was just curious.

#7 Guest_Moemoe_*

Guest_Moemoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:40 AM

Oh no, I was blood tested recently from my doc and diagnosed, no worries.

• Inthinity likes this

#8 blobfish

blobfish

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:07 AM

Yeah I'm take prescribed high dose like 10,000 i.u.

Wow I thought my 4000 is high. Do you have no side effects from taking so much at once?

Also I personally started noticing the mental differences after 1-2 weeks. It might be faster for you with a higher dose.

#9 Guest_Moemoe_*

Guest_Moemoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

Umm.... no I haven't had any side effects. I think a low normal number for Vitamin D on a blood test is 30 and I tested at a 2... so I'm supposed to take this once a day for 2 months then get retested to make sure it works.

#10 Irish0585

Irish0585

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

I did not know vitamin D was fat soluble. Ive been taking a supplement just to take it because i figured what could it hurt. Apparently i need to do my research before acting dumb.

#11 sharkbaby

sharkbaby

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

I had a really severe vit D deficiency going into recovery and they gave me these horse pills of vitamin D for a few months and I gained like 10 pounds. Not fun.

Artist, EDNOS, Exercise Junkie, Desert Dweller

Height: 5' 3.5"

HW: 140

LW: 106.5

CW: 135

GW1 : 130

GW2: 120

UGW: 110-115 range 

“It is, at the most basic level, a bundle of contradictions: a desire for power that strips you of all power.

A gesture of strength that divests you of all strength.” 

#12 Snow Angel

Snow Angel

Level 100 Bulimizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15761 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:16 AM

I did not know vitamin D was fat soluble. Ive been taking a supplement just to take it because i figured what could it hurt. Apparently i need to do my research before acting dumb.

Vitamins B and C are the water soluble vitamins. A, D, E, K are fat soluble

929efbc02b11be1c530916a3a74b22ee.jpg

Slowly Recovering

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users