MPA - How to Survive a Low Intake: Please Read | w/ pictures - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

MPA - How to Survive a Low Intake: Please Read | w/ pictures

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 oddfuture

oddfuture

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1254 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

POPULAR

GUIDE TO NUTRITION ON A LOW INTAKE

Please read this carefully:

Recently, an MPA member committed suicide. And several months ago there were suspicions and confirmations, that a popular Ana blogger passed away because of cardiac arrest from malnutrition.  The popular and conversational blog was eventually removed, most likely removed by the parents. The dead girl in question was in fact, a teenager. 

This is a tragic loss of life, life is always precious, to lose is it is permanent, and the impact it will have on your loved one's lives is even

more permanent. 

We are all aware of the risks we face from our eating disorders. 

But here's the brutal truth: we have become desensitized to the dangers of harm and even death, and even more desensitized to our unhealthy habits. 

As a result: on the internet, there's more support for eating disorders than ever.

However, we have an epidemic: 

The truth is: CALORIE RESTRICTION is the beating heart of eating disorders, we constantly see YouTubers giving weight loss tips telling young girls to restrict their caloric and food intake. If you want to watch a video on this subject further, I recommend you watch this: 

It's a bit over the top, but he makes a point about how calorie restriction is being more and more glorified towards youth and vulnerable groups. 

As human beings, we are always looking for a quick fix not just in regards to our weight but a lot of other problems in our day to day lives. There have been conclusive psychological theories on why we fall so easily into such dietary traps, personally I believe that being on a keyboard behind a computer screen makes things seem a lot less extreme and dangerous; but it is dangerous to try these fad diets that have little to no nutrition and are created by people who have no knowledge or training in nutrition.

I know a lot of you have trouble eating high intakes, I tried to eat 1200 calories a day myself but it can be hard to eat that much. But for those who DO have a low intake. PLEASE READ THIS: I'm not a certified doctor. But the least I can do is to give you guys some helpful advice to maybe make your diet healthier. THIS IS NO WAY THE HEALTHIEST WAY TO LIVE. Ideally, you should eat healthily and normally. This guide is no substitute for healthy eating, preferably you should eat 1200-1500 calories to lose weight and stay healthy. 

This is some advice to make your low intake more nutritious. 

VITAMINS 

• First off, you need a complete ratio of nutrients and vitamins. With restriction, it can actually shrivel your brain; I can not stress enough all the damage you could do to yourself. Take B12 vitamins daily and take other vitamins as well. Try to fill out the daily recommended amount for your age, size and activity level. 
  • Eat/drink fortified foods with zinc, iron, potassium and more. Complete your food profile with Cronometer or any other food counting app.

NM Vitamin B 12 1000mcg left img1 Lg

CARBS, FAT, AND PROTEIN

• Anorexic diets tend to already be low in calorie. SO DO NOT LIMIT YOUR NUTRITION INTAKE, EXAMPLE: LOW CARB, LOW FAT, LOW PROTEIN. To stay energized is to have all of these, they will not make you fat or gain.
  • With low-calorie diets, your nutrition intake will already be low. To try and compensate. Eat highly nutritious foods like flax seeds, hemp seeds, vegetables, and fruits. Junk food will provide little nutrition. I know putting seeds in your smoothie or cereal might fill up your calorie budget. But it'll be worth it.

proteina-carb-melhor-300x169.png

MINERALS: THEY ARE UNDERRATED. 

• Minerals are also a really important factor in our diets, and the general public is lacking in minerals. An easy way to fix this is Mineral Water, sometimes it can be pricey: but it's worth it, and it's always worth your health. Gerolsteiner is great! And you can find it in your local Trader Joe's. Look at the mineral ratio in the photo below, please comment other mineral water brands in your local area. It can help another person find mineral water. Make sure to check the mineral content: 

gerolsteiner-label.jpg62669f819ba487be114998f26cf9053b--minera

ENSURE, AND OTHER NUTRITION DRINKS/SHAKES

• Ensure, among others, can aid your nutritional intake vastly. It's a good idea to look into them. Optionally, look into plant protein powders to add to your water/milk/non-dairy milk, etc. Look at my "important tip" at the bottom of the page for more information. 

THE SCARY PART: INCREASING YOUR CALORIC INTAKE.

• This is scary to hear, but hear me out; Binging is probably what gives us our most nutrition and probably gives dieters who are about to pass out the energy to survive another week. I had a similar experience, I'm pretty sure my previous binges were keeping me on my feet. The point I'm trying to make is if you keep binging, constantly. Then your caloric intake is too low and you try to increase it by 100-200 calories. You would probably lose more weight in the long run.
  • I hope this can help someone, to log your nutrients, vitamins, iron, zinc and potassium. Use Cronometer or MyFitnesspal as they both can log important vital nutrition. 
  • Loseit! and several other calorie counting apps only focus on weight-loss and have a limited nutrition profile, avoid apps that only count your macros, carbs, fat, and protein.

IMPORTANT TIP: Protein powder or vitamin green powders tend to be low calorie. And tend to meet all of your vitamin and iron needs. I recently got pea protein powder from Trader Joe's, it 130 calories for two tablespoons, and has 20 grams of protein, low in carbs and sugar, and has a buttload of vitamins and nutrients. Would recommend it, and powders similar to it. A powder is also useful for those who are liquid fasting or just hate the feeling of eating solids. 

Thank you for taking the time to read. 

The screenshot below is Cronometer, the red indicates you are lacking in a certain area, yellow for not enough, and green tells you that you met your goal for that area of nutrition. Aim for green, every day. 

med_gallery_235743_21801_302123.jpg

The video above is intense but the honest truth we all will eventually have to face, or already have suffered through. Do not watch it if you are easily offended by graphic images. 

- To share the information on this thread, copy the link of this page and paste it into your signature. (don't spam) This could possibly help other members on this site. -

Please consider visiting eating disorder support groups, sites, and hotlines. Remember, the ultimate healthy diet is eating the recommended amount for your age, size and activity level. So please consider treatment. Below are several resources.

http://www.edhelpnow.com/

http://www.nationale...nd-help-support 1-800-931-2237 

https://www.nutrition.gov/ 

http://www.timberlin...a/sign-effects/

• whatsername☆, simplylovelyxo, Wendy Angela Moira Darling and 175 others like this

Check your nutrients on chronometer, don't die of cardiac arrest from malnutrition.

How to Survive a Low-Intake

Thinspo Imagines

#2 Jaanuswish78

Jaanuswish78

Sage

• Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:17 PM

POPULAR

Hey moderators… Can this be pinned at all?? Harm reduction?? This is absolutely brilliant and necessary. Thank you for posting this OP.
  • mirrors.lies, Babydoll*, skinnyDior and 59 others like this

ht: 5ft. 3.5in.

CW: 114.2lbs.

LW: 86lbs.

UGW: 78lbs.

I fear not death.

#3 Guest_Bony49_*

Guest_Bony49_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:22 PM

I use cronometer for this reason and recommend it.
  • circlesNEVERend likes this

#4 Guest_Bony49_*

Guest_Bony49_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:23 PM

I don't think this is offensive. most people don't really want to die but we don't have the right information.

#5 oddfuture

oddfuture

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1254 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:36 PM

NOTE: Almost forgot to list services below. Sorry. 

• itwillbeokprincess and JournalingBones like this

Check your nutrients on chronometer, don't die of cardiac arrest from malnutrition.

Thinspo Imagines

#6 Guest_hunnie pie_*

Guest_hunnie pie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:41 PM

I do all of these things already, but it's still informative!

#7 oddfuture

oddfuture

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1254 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:50 PM

Hey moderators… Can this be pinned at all?? Harm reduction?? This is absolutely brilliant and necessary. Thank you for posting this OP.

I would appreciate if this happened, as this is an important topic that can't be forgotten. And your welcome. 

• SinnamonTea and JournalingBones like this

Thinspo Imagines

#8 becomingshadowsagain

becomingshadowsagain

Sage

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:01 PM

Preach it, girl! Than you for this. :) And to everyone who's worried about gaining weight(fat) on 1200 calories, I can assure you that you won't. At my lowest weight, I was eating 1200 calories daily, and losing VERY slowly. I was just under 90lbs at the time, if anyone is curious. And I don't say this to boast, just to show that most people here are severely underestimating how many calories they need. A good rule of thumb is body weight in pounds multiplied by 14-17, depending on how active you are. So a 100 pound girl could maintain her weight by eating 1400-1700 calories, depending on how much she exercises, how fast her metabolism is, and how old she is.
Also, I know that EDs aren't exactly rational (trust me, know) this is just for people who honestly don't know how many calories they need to maintain their weight.

• earth.cry, Topoli, winterbird and 8 others like this

"so press yourself against whatever you find to be beautiful and trembling with life"

-NMH

🍑🍑🍑

5'3.5 - 108 (bmi 18.8) // gw: 95 (bmi 16.6) // ugw: 84 (14.6) // lw: 86 (bmi 15)

started at 125 (bmi 21.8 and weight restored) this september. currently maintaining after losing 20 lbs, plan to go back to losing in january
🍦food diary, body checks & musings here🍦

they/them

#9 oddfuture

oddfuture

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1254 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:37 PM

I do all of these things already, but it's still informative!

Thank you for setting an example.

Thinspo Imagines

#10 Guest_hunnie pie_*

Guest_hunnie pie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:39 PM

Thank you for setting an example.

It's no problem! I appreciate this post, I hope it helps a lot more people.

#11 oddfuture

oddfuture

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1254 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:16 AM

Important Update: Mineral water.

Mineral Water can be the most important factor in your diet. Regardless of restriction or not, mineral water should be something included in your day to day life. With heavy restriction comes lack of essential minerals that the body can not produce, but can benefit from. Lacking in these minerals can cause several problems over time. Mineral water can be quite pricey. But your health is always worth it. 

20140315 170453

• agata, loudcactus, just-rose and 1 other like this

Thinspo Imagines

#12 Guest_LostCrisom_*

Guest_LostCrisom_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:58 AM

[quote name="oddfuture" post="14845345" timestamp="1479277005" date="Today, 10:16 PM"]

Mineral Water can be the most important factor in your diet. Regardless of restriction or not, mineral water should be something included in your day to day life. With heavy restriction comes lack of essential minerals that the body can not produce, but can benefit from. Lacking in these minerals can cause several problems over time. Mineral water can be quite pricey. But your health is always worth it.
[/quote][quote name="oddfuture" post="14845345" timestamp="1479277005" date="Today, 10:16 PM"]

I have well water. Does that count? Its a volcanic thing or something. Very clean. The water comes off the mountains.

#13 Guest_vns_*

Guest_vns_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:01 AM

bump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#14 ChaiTease

ChaiTease

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:05 AM

I'll add zinc into my diet :v and more iron haha and well a lot of small things I suppose
  • f!shstyx likes this

↘ ↘¤¸¸.·´¯`·.¸·..>>--» ♡ Stats:«--<<..·.¸¸·´¯`·.¸¸¤ ↙↙

✿French gUrL WHO CANT SPEAK FRENCH LOOL

5'3.5
HW:128 pounds.
CW:106.6
118 🔓🔑
114🔓🔑
Gw➊:109 🔓🔑
Gw➋: 103

»

Ugw:95

Stats updated daily on IG♥

*Click*

iggg_by_komekko-dalle3c.png

♡ My Instagram ♡

bones_by_komekko-dbxv49k.gif

xxxxxxxxx- x - x - x - x - x -x - x- x - x - ♡ My Collar Bones x- x - x - x - x - x -x - x- x - x -xxxxxxxx

#15 IMissS.P.

IMissS.P.

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5148 posts
  • LocationMy room, sometimes my bathroom, sometimes in my skull, sometimes out

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:50 AM

What who died? How do we know when a user dies? I've been off for a while so excuse me if I'm super late on this o.o

tumblr_inline_n0vrqbz6iP1rxsw83.giftumblr_inline_n0vrqiTY8e1rxsw83.gif Height - 166cm tumblr_inline_n0vrq3oHeJ1rxsw83.giftumblr_inline_n0vrpyMdVT1rxsw83.gif

tumblr_mc5ulsRRYq1roozkr.giftumblr_mc5ulnbB921roozkr.giftumblr_mc5ulsRRYq1roozkr.gif LW - 37.5kg/CW - 48kg; Back at it again tumblr_mc5ulsRRYq1roozkr.giftumblr_mc5ulnbB921roozkr.giftumblr_mc5ulsRRYq1roozkr.gif

tumblr_inline_n0vrq3oHeJ1rxsw83.giftumblr_inline_n0vrpyMdVT1rxsw83.gif // Never grow up// tumblr_inline_n0vrqbz6iP1rxsw83.giftumblr_inline_n0vrqiTY8e1rxsw83.gif

#16 sadboy25

sadboy25

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:06 AM

this is amazing

thank you so much for making this

you are a blessing

• pillsandbones and Gnome Chompsky like this

tumblr_ohkhwtqZ2j1s6fotmo1_540.jpg

#17 sadboy25

sadboy25

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:11 AM

the only thing i would suggest is that he didn't use banana girl and what's-his-face

lol they are batshit crazy and give just as bad advice about diets 

• cool ranch likes this

tumblr_ohkhwtqZ2j1s6fotmo1_540.jpg

#18 oddfuture

oddfuture

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1254 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:31 PM

For anyone wondering who died, a famous ana blogger (and worships ana) died from cardiac arrest. This is only a suspicion, but the possibility of her death and her inactivity says otherwise.

Thinspo Imagines

#19 thicksweaters

thicksweaters

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4488 posts
  • Locationwherever the food is

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:43 PM

bump bump bump and please pin this.

please help me

~ kind of recovering or something ~

height: 5'8" CW: <112 BMI: <17

HW: >143 LW: <106 UGW: recovery

#20 Forget-Me-Not-03/12/80

Forget-Me-Not-03/12/80

Omniscient

• Members
  • 9203 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:49 PM

I think family Drs can be instrumental in harm reduction. Doing weigh ins, vitals, ekg, ect. And stepping in if necessary for medical stabilization for example.

Of course some Drs are not very willing.

Family should also being asking question about a patients. Primary care is first line medicine. They have the opportunity to have open and honest conversations with there patients. A family dr should never hesitate to ask their patients if they are self harming or having suicidal thoughts.

Recovery the best way to health

36 yr olds

4ft 9in

In recovery

Feeling healthy :)

I've decided to be happy because it is good for my health - voltaire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users