GUIDE TO NUTRITION ON A LOW INTAKE
Please read this carefully:
Recently, an MPA member committed suicide. And several months ago there were suspicions and confirmations, that a popular Ana blogger passed away because of cardiac arrest from malnutrition. The popular and conversational blog was eventually removed, most likely removed by the parents. The dead girl in question was in fact, a teenager.
This is a tragic loss of life, life is always precious, to lose is it is permanent, and the impact it will have on your loved one's lives is even
We are all aware of the risks we face from our eating disorders.
But here's the brutal truth: we have become desensitized to the dangers of harm and even death, and even more desensitized to our unhealthy habits.
As a result: on the internet, there's more support for eating disorders than ever.
However, we have an epidemic:
The truth is: CALORIE RESTRICTION is the beating heart of eating disorders, we constantly see YouTubers giving weight loss tips telling young girls to restrict their caloric and food intake. If you want to watch a video on this subject further, I recommend you watch this:
It's a bit over the top, but he makes a point about how calorie restriction is being more and more glorified towards youth and vulnerable groups.
As human beings, we are always looking for a quick fix not just in regards to our weight but a lot of other problems in our day to day lives. There have been conclusive psychological theories on why we fall so easily into such dietary traps, personally I believe that being on a keyboard behind a computer screen makes things seem a lot less extreme and dangerous; but it is dangerous to try these fad diets that have little to no nutrition and are created by people who have no knowledge or training in nutrition.
I know a lot of you have trouble eating high intakes, I tried to eat 1200 calories a day myself but it can be hard to eat that much. But for those who DO have a low intake. PLEASE READ THIS: I'm not a certified doctor. But the least I can do is to give you guys some helpful advice to maybe make your diet healthier. THIS IS NO WAY THE HEALTHIEST WAY TO LIVE. Ideally, you should eat healthily and normally. This guide is no substitute for healthy eating, preferably you should eat 1200-1500 calories to lose weight and stay healthy.
This is some advice to make your low intake more nutritious.
- First off, you need a complete ratio of nutrients and vitamins. With restriction, it can actually shrivel your brain; I can not stress enough all the damage you could do to yourself. Take B12 vitamins daily and take other vitamins as well. Try to fill out the daily recommended amount for your age, size and activity level.
- Eat/drink fortified foods with zinc, iron, potassium and more. Complete your food profile with Cronometer or any other food counting app.
CARBS, FAT, AND PROTEIN
- Anorexic diets tend to already be low in calorie. SO DO NOT LIMIT YOUR NUTRITION INTAKE, EXAMPLE: LOW CARB, LOW FAT, LOW PROTEIN. To stay energized is to have all of these, they will not make you fat or gain.
- With low-calorie diets, your nutrition intake will already be low. To try and compensate. Eat highly nutritious foods like flax seeds, hemp seeds, vegetables, and fruits. Junk food will provide little nutrition. I know putting seeds in your smoothie or cereal might fill up your calorie budget. But it'll be worth it.
MINERALS: THEY ARE UNDERRATED.
- Minerals are also a really important factor in our diets, and the general public is lacking in minerals. An easy way to fix this is Mineral Water, sometimes it can be pricey: but it's worth it, and it's always worth your health. Gerolsteiner is great! And you can find it in your local Trader Joe's. Look at the mineral ratio in the photo below, please comment other mineral water brands in your local area. It can help another person find mineral water. Make sure to check the mineral content:
ENSURE, AND OTHER NUTRITION DRINKS/SHAKES
- Ensure, among others, can aid your nutritional intake vastly. It's a good idea to look into them. Optionally, look into plant protein powders to add to your water/milk/non-dairy milk, etc. Look at my "important tip" at the bottom of the page for more information.
THE SCARY PART: INCREASING YOUR CALORIC INTAKE.
- This is scary to hear, but hear me out; Binging is probably what gives us our most nutrition and probably gives dieters who are about to pass out the energy to survive another week. I had a similar experience, I'm pretty sure my previous binges were keeping me on my feet. The point I'm trying to make is if you keep binging, constantly. Then your caloric intake is too low and you try to increase it by 100-200 calories. You would probably lose more weight in the long run.
- I hope this can help someone, to log your nutrients, vitamins, iron, zinc and potassium. Use Cronometer or MyFitnesspal as they both can log important vital nutrition.
- Loseit! and several other calorie counting apps only focus on weight-loss and have a limited nutrition profile, avoid apps that only count your macros, carbs, fat, and protein.
IMPORTANT TIP: Protein powder or vitamin green powders tend to be low calorie. And tend to meet all of your vitamin and iron needs. I recently got pea protein powder from Trader Joe's, it 130 calories for two tablespoons, and has 20 grams of protein, low in carbs and sugar, and has a buttload of vitamins and nutrients. Would recommend it, and powders similar to it. A powder is also useful for those who are liquid fasting or just hate the feeling of eating solids.
Thank you for taking the time to read.
The screenshot below is Cronometer, the red indicates you are lacking in a certain area, yellow for not enough, and green tells you that you met your goal for that area of nutrition. Aim for green, every day.
The video above is intense but the honest truth we all will eventually have to face, or already have suffered through. Do not watch it if you are easily offended by graphic images.
- To share the information on this thread, copy the link of this page and paste it into your signature. (don't spam) This could possibly help other members on this site. -
Please consider visiting eating disorder support groups, sites, and hotlines. Remember, the ultimate healthy diet is eating the recommended amount for your age, size and activity level. So please consider treatment. Below are several resources.