Skinny "French" Onion Soup - Food - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Skinny "French" Onion Soup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fearless

Fearless

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

So, i work at Panera and my very fave food there is the french onion soup. I experimented with making my own no fat low cal version and thia is what i did. Feel free to tweak.

4 cups water (0 cals)
4 Wyler's brand "0 cal" beef bullion cubes (~12 cals)
1 red onion, sliced or diced (40 cals)

Total: 13 cals per 1 cup serving!

Dry sautee your onion peices in a nonstick pan at medium heat. If you choose to use oil or butter, add to total calories. I did not. When/if your onions start sticking, add a few teaspoons of water. But by that time, if heated slowly to start with, they should be ready to add to the broth.

While onions cook, boil water with bullion.

Add onions to broth when onions are translucent, turn down heat to low/medium and simmer together 4-5 minutes.

Enjoy a low cal soup and feel like Betty Crocker at the same time!
  • Honeybee<3 likes this

#2 SkinnyMinniez

SkinnyMinniez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

Is this goood?

#3 Honeybee<3

Honeybee<3

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

Great recipe!

Current weight: 131

Weight lost: 54 lbs

Goal weight: 100

185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145 140 135 130 125 120 115 110 105 100

#4 yungxjadex

yungxjadex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:14 PM

old but came across this! i love onion soup, i eat the lipton onion recipe soup envelopes and usually have 1 cup which is around 20 cals, but its pretty high in sodium. ill still probably do that when I'm lazy but i love this recipe! way healthier  :)

h: 5'7

sw: 127

cw: 107

gw: 90

eat like you have to be in a bikini tomorrow

#5 Fading2Perfection

Fading2Perfection

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSouth Hill, Washington

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:42 PM

So I just made this for dinner and ate it with a couple of Safeway brand wheat "saltines" (they're 60 cal per serving instead of the 70 cals the normal ones have and they taste pretty similar and are cheaper too) and it's amazing! It tastes great and it took me about ten minutes to make it. I made half of a batch and still couldn't even finish it. My mum leaves half or a quarter of an onion in the fridge all the time too so next time I see that in there I'll definitely steal it to make this again. I've been craving something with umami type flavour for a while now and this hit the spot without being a million calories so thank you so much for posting this recipe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users