The Nut Diet. - Page 36 - Member Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

The Nut Diet.

• Please log in to reply
719 replies to this topic

#701 Guest_Problem Child_*

Guest_Problem Child_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:49 PM

i'm pretty sure, just based off my obsessive research on nutrition -- i have a tendency to fixate on certain topics and spend immense periods of time researching them, and nutrition is one of those things -- i believe monos cause weight loss because either you eat less calories, you go into ketosis (in the case of low carb foods), you just lose water weight with less water-rich foods, or some combination of those factors.

either way i don't advise monos because of the inevitable nutrient depletion; supplements are good, but actually getting nutrients in the food you eat is better. you can definitely avoid more extreme deficiencies with supplements, but it still doesn't really compare to eating both nutritious foods AND taking supplements. what you actually do is your choice though, obviously.

that said, i have considered a diet like this, and i have done something similar. i lived off of individually packaged 100-calorie packs of almonds for a few days. unfortunately, i stuck to a pretty low calorie intake, usually like 500, 800 at the most, so i had all sorts of side effects...including a general sense of lethargy and a huge binge/purge afterward lol. so if you choose to do this, do it like OP, not like me lmao

• mlleRaquel likes this

#702 Narcissus

Narcissus

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:46 PM

I'm giving this a whirl, because I guess my idea of a fun time is a little bit wonky.  B)

I haven't weighed in about two weeks before this, so it has no real significance, but today I'm down ~3 pounds from that last weighing, without having done anything to deliberately lose weight between then and starting The Nut Feast. Probably just water weight, but kind of satisfying nonetheless.

I bought ~300g of mixed almonds/pecans/walnuts/macadamias for today and I probably have around 80-120g left. I can DEFINITELY feel that I've eaten a lot more fat than usual. It kind of feels like having binged without my stomach being uncomfortably full?

FWIW, the idea of a nut mono sounds like it could work as a crash diet if not as a realistic long-term weight loss deal. I'm intrigued by the post(s) a page or two back about being unable to transition to the appropriate digestive enzymes quickly enough to catch up to all the calories from fat. And I saw that video about nuts failing to produce expected weight gain a while ago. So I guess it makes sense to me that eating at or just above maintenance on nothing but nuts would produce some kind of weight loss.

Lost Boy  |  Resident Leader of the Lost and Found  |  World's Worst Accident  |  Fucking Wild Card

#703 Felicitas

Felicitas

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:40 PM

how long do you need to do this diet for it to be effective? would it work in 2-3 days?

132 -> 128 -> 125 -> 120 -> 118 -> 115

height: 5'7

Why eat when you'll get hungry again?

#704 Guest_NoNo557_*

Guest_NoNo557_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:03 AM

how long do you need to do this diet for it to be effective? would it work in 2-3 days?

For me it has always worked from day one. Three days are perfect. If you're lucky you may lose up to five pounds in three days.

• Felicitas likes this

#705 Guest_holthorn_*

Guest_holthorn_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2016 - 01:46 AM

No, it's rubbish. Nuts are, like, 50% fat.

The only reason I lost weight on them is because my metabolism is faster than everyone else's.

If you lose weight on them, it will just be glycogen and water weight. Nobody else loses body fat by eating a pound of nuts a day - no one on this site anyway.

Really?! I've stalked half of this entire thread and was going to start this diet until I saw what you just posted! What made you change your mind?

Anyway, I've heard a lot about how diets make you gain all the weight back and more after you go off them. Is it the same for this one? 

#706 Guest_Hambone Fakenamington_*

Guest_Hambone Fakenamington_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2016 - 01:49 AM

Really?! I've stalked half of this entire thread and was going to start this diet until I saw what you just posted! What made you change your mind?

Anyway, I've heard a lot about how diets make you gain all the weight back and more after you go off them. Is it the same for this one? 

Rationalism.

I wrote this thread when I was at my worst. And I was so desperate to lose weight I was buying into every brand of food woo.

#707 Narcissus

Narcissus

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:19 AM

Rationalism.

I wrote this thread when I was at my worst. And I was so desperate to lose weight I was buying into every brand of food woo.

Would you include other low (net) carb diets under the heading of 'woo,' then?

Lost Boy  |  Resident Leader of the Lost and Found  |  World's Worst Accident  |  Fucking Wild Card

#708 Guest_Hambone Fakenamington_*

Guest_Hambone Fakenamington_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:22 AM

Would you include other low (net) carb diets under the heading of 'woo,' then?

Not necessarily woo, but I don't think they yield any great results other than the placebo effect.

#709 Felicitas

Felicitas

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:11 AM

So I finally found the courage to try this. Bought lots of nuts today. I'm going to do this for a few days. Mostly almonds and some walnuts, I don't want to mix too much cause I really need some results right now.

I'll let you know how it goes, I hope for 2 kg in 4 days.

Can't wait to start, eating nuts without a limit is a dream! Love nuts but hate them for their calories...

#710 Narcissus

Narcissus

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:41 AM

I do think there is some merit to this idea, because even a placebo effect is an effect, lol. I know that for the brief period I did it, the sudden shock of consuming so much fat totally killed my appetite for a few days afterward. I think it could be useful for breaking a binge cycle. And with the bits of research about nuts not being digested as efficiently as their ~nutrition facts~ suggest, there might actually be some physiological basis to it.

I'm not ruling it out just yet. But I do also have a relatively high metabolism, so. Shrug.

#711 Felicitas

Felicitas

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:22 AM

So I had about 300grams of nuts on saturday and lost 0,9kg! Was a bit of food weight though.

But I felt bad the whole day and had a headache, and I got sick of nuts pretty fast. At least I didnt want to eat anything from lunch on ^_^

Then I restricted to about 1000 cals on sunday, lots of veggies and fruit and had lost 0,8kg the next morning. And I even got my period, so I should be maintaining water. I did work out every day, burned about 500-600cals. The next day I had nuts again, about 350grams and only worked out a litte but lost 0,5kg.

Really happy with this mono.

in total I lost 2,2kg in 3 days :)

Update: I binged and ended up with 1400cals the following day, and still lost anther 0,5kg!

#712 bonbone

bonbone

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts
  • Locationhere

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:15 AM

I might be making my own almond butter (which I LOVE doing) and trying this.... this is so exciting! It's revolutionary, lol

tip..you will absorb more cals if you do that. It is better to leave them whole...part of them is undigested and therefore fewer calories.

• Narcissus likes this

your wound is where your light enters you      >>>>---------------------->    accountability

#713 n666

n666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationUSA/Germany

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:49 AM

Starting the nut mono today! Dont know how many days Ill be able to keep it up, since im staying with family rn, but ill be updating!

Day 1 :
-100g raw almonds, 100g raw walnuts, 75g brazil nuts (275g total)
-2.75L water, 24oz plain tea, 8oz black coffee
-Laxitives

#714 n666

n666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationUSA/Germany

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:57 AM

Also, just for reference
Im 5'6" - 19y.o. - 104.4lbs. - female

#715 Unicornsandwine9

Unicornsandwine9

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:24 AM

I have been living off of just nuts and olives for past couple weeks and have seen a vast improvement since my post rehabitated body
I do eat cashews and pistachios though
I know a lot depends on your blood/body type for how you metabolize. I get deluxed mixed nuts and pistachios and nibble thoughought the day along with a serving maybe 2 of olives. Been working so far.
Also, adding accuflora to my life has helped. Great probiotic.

#716 bonbone

bonbone

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts
  • Locationhere

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:27 PM

not quite a mono, saying that upfront.

Ate mainly macadamias and super low carb protein bars for a week and went from lost about 1.7kg in 7 days. link

BMI 18.1 down to 17.5

Was already restricting long term and wouldn't say it was food weight lost because I was already keeping a low intake. I think this just got me off a plateau.

your wound is where your light enters you      >>>>---------------------->    accountability

#717 dollfang

dollfang

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3788 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:12 AM

Hey, I'm currently doing a vegan keto diet myself. I started it on the 18th. Isn't bulletproof coffee okay?? I make it with 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil in order to give myself an energy kick in the morning. (I need coffee.) Also I do eat some vegetables, like lettuce with salsa, broccoli or cauliflower (in small amounts), and spinach... Mainly I've been eating almonds and some peanuts though.
Do you think I'll still lose fairly quickly? My carb count has been about 35g - 48g I believe, which I know is higher than recommended but I keep eating veggies:(

HW: 130 LW: 91.8 CW: 107.8

#718 shadowycloud

shadowycloud

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 04:35 PM

HECK YES, STARTING TOMORROW!!!

#719 Silent_Seduction

Silent_Seduction

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:25 PM

*fad diet that I came up with when I was in a bad place with my ED, do not attempt it lol*

Thank you, I read everything and tried it for 5 days I gained like crazy....61 pounds.

EDIT: ooops! Google did a terrible conversion. I gained 4.85 lbs

I stopped and binged ..on carbs.
I was both hungry all the time and felt sick.

Nonetheless I really enjoyed this thread and I like your posts -_-

Height: 168 cm/ 5 ' 6.53 ''

:( no comments, ashamed of myself
52kg / 114,6
51kg / 112,4
49,9 / 110,01
49,6 kg / 109,34

48,0kg / 105.8 

CW: 46kg / 101,4 getting there slowly step by step again  :) (BMI: 16,3)

GW: 45.3kg / 99,98 

9AzkEcW.png

hgIDbEL.jpg

Spoiler

#720 malnourished.dreamer

malnourished.dreamer

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:50 PM

Here is a video about a lot of different studies about nuts and weight gain: